Sign in to follow this  
Sintacks

Alienware M17x...

Thanks for all the help guys. I can actually run Arma 2 at 1920x1080 with everything maxed with pretty solid 20 FPS. It might drop to 18 or 17 a few times here and there but I was hoping tweak it so I can get a solid 30 to play the campaign.

Domokun/MaverickK96: Thanks for the settings. I will try them tonight and let you know how it goes. I'm craving for some good solid campaign missions where I dont feel like 'the grass might be greener' if I tweak my settings again and again lol

That's probably right. Is it at all possible to actually run Arma2 with 20+ fps consistently on 1920x1200 - is that hardware built yet?

Does it on my rig, with everything at Very High (Video Memory at Default), VD at ~3500.

If it's just me, I get 30-40 FPS fairly stable in Chernogorsk. With more AI and stuff, obviously a bit less but I don't think I ever drop below 20.

OK, thanks Mav. That's a nice set of specs you got there

Sintacks: you should be able to run A2 @ 1920x1200 smoothly.

You just have to be smart, i.e. don't ram everything to "max".

Deadfast is right, your CPU is prolly bottle-nbecking your system.

Try these settings

For you this means:

a) set Interface to 1920x1200

b) set Fillrate to 100%

c) start with a VD of 2400 or more (3600?)

d) set Texture to High

e) set Mem to High/vHigh

f) set Anio to High/vHigh

g) set AA to Dis/Low

h) set Terrain to Normal

i) set Object to Norm/High

g) set Shadows to High/VHigh

h) set PP to Low/High

i) set Interface to vSml/Small

j) install the 70100 beta patch

bold = recommended settings

Let us know how you get on.

Please appreciate that A2's campaign is notoriouly slow due to the high amount of scripting it uses.

Just trying out these settings now. First gotta update the BIOS in my M17x. I also installed Arma 2 on my desktop. It chews it up at 40FPS at everything set to very high and 1920x1080.

What's fill rate? Is that in the Arma2.cfg?

I have an Alienware M17x with a QX9600, 8GB of DDR 1333, Dual NVidia GTX 280M's w/SLI and 500GB 7200RPM Raid 1.

Why can I only get 20FPS in Arma2? I have done EVERYTHING over the past 2 weeks to try and get it running better. It's the only game that doesn't perform well on my machine. Is 20FPS all I will get? Anyone have a similar machine?

ArmA2 doesn't support SLI or anything above dualcore, that will be all

Just trying out these settings now. First gotta update the BIOS in my M17x. I also installed Arma 2 on my desktop. It chews it up at 40FPS at everything set to very high and 1920x1080.

What's fill rate? Is that in the Arma2.cfg?

Fill rate, meaning 3D Resolution. It's right below the primary resolution setting.

Also, your desktop specs are a lot better than that laptop. :p

ArmA2 doesn't support SLI or anything above dualcore, that will be all

Totally and completely wrong. ArmA2 definitely supports SLI and it utilizes all 4 of my cores.

Yeh. I was gonna say!

Thanks for the info, Maverick. It's been a long week. I will try some adjustments when I fire Arma 2 up tomorrow when I'm fresh and alert. Ciao

I actually got a pretty good FPS boost by doing the MSCONFIG thing and disabling all services except for Steam (so I could run the game) and rebooting. Now I got an almost playable 25-30FPS on everything very high at 1920x1080. I bet I can get more if I tune it down a little.

No worries there, I have spent 11 years as a Windows/Intel System Admin ;)

Well I got an error message about the Steam service being disabled when I invoked Arma2 so I'm pretty sure you do.

Sintacks: try Gamebooster. It's free, lightweight and efficient and les time-consuming that disbaling the services manually.

Sintacks, is your game patched to 1.05? I though that game was set free from steam after that patch.

Yeh after I relentlessly searched for the patch - it's still in Beta AFAIK? I did patch it to 1.05. Didn't really notice much of a difference during the campaign missions.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Sintacks: try Gamebooster. It's free, lightweight and efficient and les time-consuming that disbaling the services manually.

Wow. Made a difference of about 5 FPS! Thanks man!!

Yeh after I relentlessly searched for the patch - it's still in Beta AFAIK? I did patch it to 1.05. Didn't really notice much of a difference during the campaign missions.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Wow. Made a difference of about 5 FPS! Thanks man!!

When there are a lot of buildings involved, the FPS tends to dip regardless of your specs.

When there are a lot of buildings involved, the FPS tends to dip regardless of your specs.

Even on your rig???:butbut:

Even on your rig???:butbut:

If there is a lot going on in Cherno for example, it can still go below 30 FPS but it's liveable I guess.

If there is a lot going on in Cherno for example, it can still go below 30 FPS but it's liveable I guess.

Yeh I don't find it too bad if it drops below 30. It's actually still quite playable IMO.

May I ask what you're using for Arma 2 settings?

May I ask what you're using for Arma 2 settings?

1080p -VD 3600, Everything Very High with post off (as it annoys the hell out of me)

I have an Alienware M17x with a QX9600, 8GB of DDR 1333, Dual NVidia GTX 280M's w/SLI and 500GB 7200RPM Raid 1.

Why can I only get 20FPS in Arma2? I have done EVERYTHING over the past 2 weeks to try and get it running better. It's the only game that doesn't perform well on my machine. Is 20FPS all I will get? Anyone have a similar machine?

i'm probably nowhere close to your system, but i have an intel i7 and this is a problem for me as well. fps can get to 60s, to usually, it's in the 20s because of what i'd like to call incessant stutter syndrome.

ArmA2 definitely supports SLI and it utilizes all 4 of my cores.

Wasn't sure about SLI, just what i heard, but i do know that unless they have updated it, it only supports dual core processors until AO

1080p -VD 3600, Everything Very High with post off (as it annoys the hell out of me)

Wow.. That must look amazing.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

i'm probably nowhere close to your system, but i have an intel i7 and this is a problem for me as well. fps can get to 60s, to usually, it's in the 20s because of what i'd like to call incessant stutter syndrome.

Lol.. yeh. Mine is running OK now, not great but OK. I still get stutters as well. I've just learned to put up with it cos it's such an awesome game so far. I'll be interested in the new expansion. Lets see if they add support for all the latest and greatest hardware.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Wasn't sure about SLI, just what i heard, but i do know that unless they have updated it, it only supports dual core processors until AO

I'm using that EVGA SLI profile install but not sure if it actually does anything. I still feel like Arma 2 isn't really using my vid cards as much as it should. It's the only game where the fans dont kick on in high gear. There's also an Nvidia version of an SLI profile but I'm not even sure which one I should be using. I agree, hopefully with the new expansion, they'll improve support for more hardware.