Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Ambush!

How difficult is the mission for you?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is the mission for you?

• It's too hard, should be easier.
    • It's too easy, make it more difficult.
    • It's just alright, keep it like that.

Yet another of my original OFP mission conversions, this time it's Ambush (also known as Infantry). This one is really old, it was already included in the OFP demo released in early 2001. :)

Because of the many stuff I have ahead of me I'm releasing this as a public beta. The mission should work but there surely are a couple of issues due to the complexity of the mission.

The biggest problem so far is the retreating of Alpha squad (or what's left of it) because the squad leader prefers to stay and fight rather than retreating. :)

The mission comes in 5 languages: English, Spanish, German, Czech and Russian (thanks to all translators!). French and Italian are completely missing because I haven't found any volunteers doing the job. If you want to translate the mission, please contact me. :)

Ambush v0.90 @ Armaholic

Ambush v0.89 @ Armaholic

Mirrors:

Ambush! @ Armaholic (v0.90)

Ambush! @ Armed Assault Info (v0.89)

Please report all issues you encounter here and I see if I can fix them asap.

Please note: You are not allowed to port this mission (or parts of it) to Arma 3!

Edited by W0lle
  • Like 1

Wolle, I am not a 'loud' voice on these forums choosing to read than write but if this mission is anything to go by in comparison to your previous releases I am sure it will be top class. It is ready to play and I will report back.......

First point. It comes up in the mission list as 'Name'

On playing the first few minutes there is what seems to be a dialogue in another language after being told to disembark the truck.

On exiting the mission at that point the mission is correctly titled 'USMC Ambush', strange that? Will resume tomorrow.

Duca

Edited by Ducatisto
First impression

Thanks for your input, every little feedback helps as it's impossible to check all and everything - and by now, after playing and testing the missions dozens of times it becomes boring. :)

The problems you have are caused by two things:

1) a screwed up stringtable.xml

2) Name and title were only in english, the other 4 languages I forgot.

So if you play the mission in another language than english the two stringtable entries just don't exist.

I fixed the two issues now and provide a new version by tomorrow. Maybe some more stuff comes up until then.

This is one of my favorite missions from OpF! can't wait to get home and try it.

-k

This is my favorite from OFP. I remember you could win the battle in early versions of OFP. They added few T72s later on so you have to retreat. I tried to get them with RPGs from ammo crates south-east of vilage (I think) but never could. Could only get 2 or 3.

Thanks for this, it would be even better on Malden.

It might sound weird, but I play more your conversions than anything else in ARMA II. Thanks a lot W0lle. Keep them coming.

It might sound weird, but I play more your conversions than anything else in ARMA II. Thanks a lot W0lle. Keep them coming.

That's because the old times rule. :)

I uploaded v0.88 - only minor issues fixed:

• Fixed/added stringtable entries
  • Spanish translation is complete now (thanks Big)
  • Enemy skill level raised by 0.1
  • Fixed credits

Its a tough one but I loved this mission in OFP & this updated version is most welcome! my squad were cut down by the first few russians we came across, who then proceeded to scarper off into the woods making it difficult to go after them, i'll get 'em next time :D

I just wonder, have you included that sniper on the hill behind the village as in the OFP version? He was always a git for taking out half the squad!:p

I just wonder, have you included that sniper on the hill behind the village as in the OFP version? He was always a git for taking out half the squad!:p

I don't ever recall seeing one.

Thanks for this W0lle. I have been trying to find a good place to remake this myself but never found any place that I liked. I haven't got a chance to play it yet but I am looking forward to it.

I played this mission for three months and never got bored of it. There were a lot of ways I found to complete it. My favorite was to RPG the tank crews and steal their tank. I think I even got it one time where I was the commander and I had two Soviets in the other two positions killing their own men. It was always fun to play. I even managed to hold the village against the tanks a few times.

Just played it Wolle...Awesome... 1-2-3-4...lol

Thanks for the conversion

Its a tough one but I loved this mission in OFP & this updated version is most welcome! my squad were cut down by the first few russians we came across, who then proceeded to scarper off into the woods making it difficult to go after them, i'll get 'em next time :D

There is no sniper in ambush. I used the original files from OFP and there's not a single sniper in there.

Difficulty is always a problem as I kept the original amount of units from OFP and with the smarter AI now it can be really difficult. If it's too hard I remove the "Corporal" ranks from them and make them privates again.

@Jakerod

Yes the memories... There were so many ways to deal with the mission. I hope it's still at least somewhat that interesting than the original.

Finding the right spot was actually one of the hardest tasks. I think I started at least twice until I found Vyshnoye.

I was sure there was! I must be remembering it wrong but I do recall being picked off by a lone enemy on the other side of Houdan as we approached it on several attempts at that mission :)

Anyway thats irrelevant, good mission & i'll be having another attempt at it today! In OFP I always used to hide in one of the houses when the tanks came rolling in, waited till they passed & then shot them from behind with the RPG. Only problem was the infantry that followed the tanks...

Your conversions are great, it is good to play the familiar scenario's in a different environment and with the changed capabilities of the AI.

Regards,

Sander

Thanks for the conversion !

I really enjoyed that mission, even if it's quite difficult. However, the AI is just good now (as of beta 70100). They move from cover to cover, they flank, throw grenades etc..

My squad got mauled by the BTR and no one could reach the AT... Damn, that was tense.

Do you plan on completing the translation and adding voice over ?

I don't remember from the good old OFP days if the voices were in.

Thanks anyway !

Malick

In the original OFP mission of course there were voices.

While testing it I played the mission with the original sounds which of course added a lot of immersion to the mission. However I can't use them because:

1) The village names don't fit anymore

2) I added/modified a few lines of text which were not in original

I would love to have voice acting in the mission but for that all conversations must be recorded again and at least 4 speakers would be required.

The missing czech and russian translations will be added for sure. French and Italian needs a lot of work and Polish must be translated completely.

So if there are any native French, Italian and Polish speakers out who wants to translate it, send PM. ;)

I'm going to add a poll re. the difficulty so I can see if it needs to be adjusted. The mission is supposed to be hard but at least you should have a chance, too. :)

It's awesome to be playing this mission again. Thanks W0lle! :D

Might I recommend, however, that you use the joinAs command when joining the player to Alpha squad? Just so that the formations don't become all messed up, what with the player now becoming "1". That's my only nitpick so far.

I do think its just a little too hard, ive had a good few attempts & only just got in sight of the village, never mind anywhere near it! My squad just seem to get cut down in seconds as soon as the first russians show up & everyone was just rolling around injured myself included. Dont make it a walkover obviously, but just a slight tone down would be good :)

W0lle thanks for all your conversions. They are great.

I have ArmA 2's English version and still I had "Name" instead of the actual mission name on my mission list. It contained no description, only the OFP dude picture. However, once I completed it, it showed the mission's name and its description.

I have one suggestion regarding your conversions. I think that the great OFP atmosphere will be recreated better if you will add a little of some bad, foggy weather, or set the time of day to something less lighted. ArmA 2 is very saturated with light and it takes you away from the a bit grayish color of OFP.

Thanks again!

I use the random weather script from toadlife in all of these conversions. There is fog, just not too much (0.4). There is also rain and clouds but it depends on these random values.

Time of date I can change with no problems. I also can raise the fog value a bit.

That "Name" thing is weird, here it shows up with the correct mission name. Only thing I can think about that the stringtable entry I used (STR_name) is used somewhere else too and then screws up. I change that entry to something different and then we'll see what happens.

It was easier with just english language for sure. :)

Might I recommend, however, that you use the joinAs command when joining the player to Alpha squad? Just so that the formations don't become all messed up, what with the player now becoming "1". That's my only nitpick so far.

joinAs .... why I haven't thought about that? I tried all kind of stuff so the Alpha leader stays #1 and nothing worked. And at some point I just gave up on that.

Edited by W0lle

It's just coming up as "Name" because the game hasn't loaded the mission's specific stringtable yet. If you load the mission, exit it and look, it all appears correctly. I think all you'll have to do to fix that is changing the stringtable names for the description and name.

v0.89 uploaded now, see first post for download link.

* Changed time by -1 hour.

* Increased chance of rain and fog.

* Changed stringtable names for name and title.

* Alpha leader stays #1 now after joining (thanks Zipper5).

* Russian translation is now 100%

* Slightly screwed up Czech translation fixed (thanks Deadfast).

I'm still looking for French, Italian and Polish translators. ;)

Edited by W0lle

glad to see this was publicly released, i enjoyed testing this. thanks W0lle.

I have just tried it and the location is pretty good. In the middle of mission I got error that some sounds are missing so maybe you can cancel the trigger for them or something.

Otherwise mission plays good. If you keep an eye on your teammates they do OK and if you pick up PKP from machinegunner in the beginning the mission is quite easy:). It was a nice surprise how your squad moves so that BTR doesnt rape you.

However, there is no tanks coming later on...

Due to work commitments only just finished it. I am what I call a casual gamer so prefer to follow rather than take command and this mission suited my style of play.

I have to say I found version 0.89 quite easy, joined the squad went to the village, lobbed a few grenades, took an RPG and saw off all the armour, job done. Maybe I was lucky but I found it a little too short but very well made none the less.

Starting the mission doing the driving I was told to turn right at the next crossroads so off I went looking for 'crossroads' and then realised it should have been just take the next right, maybe correct that W0lle?

Overall well done.