Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

SIX Projects - Updater Suite, Portal, Config Browser, etc.

Created http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18697

Because I uninstalled and reinstalled SIX a dozen times, old logs have been lost.

So, I clean installed SIX and run it twice with the broken .repository.yml.

After that I unistalled - reinstalled SIX and run it twice with the working .repository.yml.

Logs, DBs and the .repository.yml are in zip.

PS. the tests were done with the fix that you pushed but still the problem remained.

Found some things that bogged the performance down, especially if you have a lot of modfolders in arma folder. Fixes up in latest app update.

Small note for people who have SSD / low space on arma drive, you can put the .rsync/.pack folders (packed mod files) on another drive:

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+FAQ#How%20to%20put%20.rsync/.pack%20folder%20in%20a%20different%20folder/drive

Created http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18697

Because I uninstalled and reinstalled SIX a dozen times, old logs have been lost.

So, I clean installed SIX and run it twice with the broken .repository.yml.

After that I unistalled - reinstalled SIX and run it twice with the working .repository.yml.

Logs, DBs and the .repository.yml are in zip.

PS. the tests were done with the fix that you pushed but still the problem remained.

Cheers! Workaround applied: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18697#note-3

Edited by Sickboy

Some more small UI improvements pushed;

• Datagrid buttons that perform actions with selected record(s) have been moved to right click menu (on the records)
    • Actions that support multi-select require you to select full rows (click on ColumnHeader, 'Column 0'), not cells.

[*]Treeview right click menu enhanced

[*]RPT (Logs) button + submenu (Application, Updater logs) moved to main application menu (blue button left up)

[*]Sync Servers button and Synced At text-field moved to Server Browser datagrid

[*]Sync Status & Game Info RibbonTabs merged into single "Info" RibbonTab.

[*]Sync button, Save button with submenu and Advanced button, merged into single Advanced button with submenu.

[*]Community RibbonTab removed, content moved to Community RibbonGroup instead.

[*]Tools, SrvApps, ModApps and Sites combo-boxes will now launch / open upon selection

[*]WebBrowser component Back/Forward/Url bar implemented.

More major UI stuff still planned for v2.4/2.5.

Edited by Sickboy

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but if i open the game with the six updater people can't hear me on ts unless i alt tab out?

If you're using Windows Vista or 7, it's most likely an issue with admin privileges: if I run voice-chat software (in my case Ventrilo) as normal user, but the game as administrator just like Six Updater requires, then all my voice chat hotkeys won't work anymore. I have to run the voice-chat software as administrator as well to fix this issue.

Which brings me to my next question: what does Six Updater need admin privileges for in the first place? It's pretty annoying because of the voice chat issue and also because of ArmA using the wrong Windows user profile then. My admin account isn't the same as my regular account, so when I grant admin privileges to the Six Updater and thus also ArmA, the game profiles, saves and whatever else get stored in the user folder of my admin profile.

So what are the privileges for? File manipulation or file downloads shouldn't usually need 'em, except for a few special cases maybe.

Some other stuff:

- when using the server browser I always see a ping of 0 for every server - makes the browser impossible to use, cause I don't know if it'll be playable or not

- "Join server" didn't yet work for me for any server I tried - it just launches the game into the main menu.

- please move the "modline" column in the server browser further to the left or enable us to change the order of all columns ourselves - having to scroll left and right to check the few columns I care about is _really_ annoying

- resizable columns would be nice as well - sometimes the content gets truncated and thus unreadable or empty columns take up way too much space or the whole column is far too wide just because of a single cell with a really long content string

I know it's not Microsoft Excel, but I bet most users will expect such a DataGrid to behave in a similar fashion.

Other than that, a great tool. Really appreciate all the progress you're making (and sharing via Auto-Update). Looking forward to future versions :)

Admin priviledges are needed because 99% of the users has arma installed (and installs mods to) the program files folder, which is protected by UAC in Vista/7.

Not running with admin priviledges will result in the VirtualStore being populated, and then everything gets really messy.

I am looking at actually only requiring the rights once needed, but for later; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18122

Also, the issue you are describing indeed comes from using a user-account without admin priviledges at all, which means Run as Administrator, really becomes run as user Administrator, and not just elevating the current user's token to his own admin rights.

Re pings - if you wanna see them you should enable them first :).

Processing gamespy server info with pings and countries takes longer than without. Options RibbonTab, "Sync servers incl P+C". Then "Update gamespy info" @ Server Browser datagrid.

The join server action works fine for me - select a server up top, or right click in server datagrid "Use server" - and hit Run Updater -> join server - please create a ticket with your log files and details like repro steps.

Reorder/Resize datagrid columns: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18716

If data in a column doesn't fit - hover over it with your mouse - you will find the full line in ToolTip.

Additionally you can use the Mod search field to limit servers shown to the mod you are looking for.

Other than that, a great tool. Really appreciate all the progress you're making (and sharing via Auto-Update). Looking forward to future versions :)

Admin priviledges are needed because 99% of the users has arma installed (and installs mods to) the program files folder, which is protected by UAC in Vista/7.

Not running with admin priviledges will result in the VirtualStore being populated, and then everything gets really messy.

I am looking at actually only requiring the rights once needed, but for later; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18122

Yeah, that is one of the special cases I was thinking about, cause I've run into the same issue in the past with one of my own (way less complex) tools.

I suppose elevating only when needed shouldn't be that hard to implement - at startup perform a check, if you require admin rights and if you do, start another instance of the Six Updater as administrator and close the current non-elevated instance. At least that's the naive approach I'd take.

Thanks for the tip regarding pings: didn't know about this option. Maybe make it a bit more obvious that you need to activate it if you want to see ping times?

Doesn't seem to work properly for me, though. Out of 1604 servers I only get 5 servers to display their ping and country. :(

Good job on the server filter, btw. Has already proven really useful for me.

/edit:

Maybe one suggestion for the filter: when entering something in one of the fields, I'd like to hit [Enter] to immediately apply the filter. This doesn't work and I have to click the "Search" button instead. Only a minor "issue", though.

Edited by Arparso

Cheers!

Re elevation im afraid it isnt'that simple - you can change the mod installation location at run time, have different presets with different game profiles - locations, mod installation folders etc. Not planning to spend time on this atm, probably >= 2.5 :)

(tbh the only ones for who it is some sort of a problem is < 1% people that don't only use UAC but also no admin rights at all on their user account)

Re the pings - you will probably get more of them over time. I think the issue is in the gslist utility - out of my control - though I will certainly double check and see if I can improve it.

Perhaps I should move the Ping+Countries checkbox to the Server browser datagrid.

Re ENTER - search - yea I had that in mind too, will try to get to it today ;)

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Okay, moved P+C checkbox into Server Browser, and pressing ENTER in the search fields will now search :D

Also moved the 'Incl main game only' checkbox.

Removed "Browse" buttons from the Ribbon - Instead, if you double click in path field it opens the Browse Folder dialog.

Edited by Sickboy

Re elevation im afraid it isnt'that simple - you can change the mod installation location at run time, have different presets with different game profiles - locations, mod installation folders etc.

This won't help, though. I don't really have a problem with running Six Updater as admin - I have a problem with running ArmA as admin, because it'll store its game saves in the "My Documents" folder of the wrong user account then.

The Six Updater leaves me no choice, though... it always runs the game as administrator. Of course I could start the game the usual way and not go through the Updater, but this'd significantly reduce the value of your tool to me.

The alternative to not elevating the Updater in the first place would be to run the game non-elevated. However, as far as I'm aware, there is no straightforward way to run a non-elevated process from an elevated one (only the other way around is pretty simple).

Some other very minor UI issue: the text boxes in your ribbon control aren't properly aligned, most noticeable at the Tools/SrvApps/ModApps boxes. Looks unnecessarily shoddy as it is now, especially since other elements are aligned properly (e.g. the checkboxes on the Profile tab under Parameters).

Thanks, but please check the roadmap; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/roadmap

Align UI elements; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17705 - with so much work left, the last thing I intend to work on is something as trivial as ui alignment :)

But if ya know someone who can work with WPF XAML templates - he's free to join in anytime ;)

This won't help, though. I don't really have a problem with running Six Updater as admin - I have a problem with running ArmA as admin, because it'll store its game saves in the "My Documents" folder of the wrong user account then.
I think you misunderstood me, I was meaning it wasn't as simple as you made it look, because the mod installation folder isn't only determined at startup.

Besides, the issues you mention are because of your 'paranoid' security setup ;) (which seems to be rather exception than rule)

But enough about it already - I know about it, and I have it on the roadmap, that's all I will do about it for now.

Although - to come half-way - For the time being, I could perhaps provide you with either a startup parameter or seperate exe which runs without elevation requirements - you could then use that for launching - or even for updating too, if the arma / mod installation folder isn't protected.

Auto-self-update needs the elevation too though - if installed in protected folder.

Edited by Sickboy

Nah, don't bother ;)

I can live with the current situation and if you have it on your roadmap already, there's nothing to complain about.

Better not call me paranoid, though - the separation of standard and administrator accounts is the recommended best practice here. Ask Microsoft about it, if you don't trust my word (see "Use standard user accounts").

I know first-hand, that it's a pain in the ass to code around security-related restrictions like UAC and the like, but don't make it look like it's the user's fault for actually using their operating system as it is intended to be used. On Windows XP you wouldn't even have the option to elevate your app, if a user tried to run it with a standard user account.

Don't get a wrong impression of me, though - I don't DEMAND you to "fix it". I just wanted to make you aware of this issue, so you can have a look at it anytime you like and see if a solution can be worked out. Doesn't matter that much to me, if it'll take a long time or if the result is negative.

Perhaps I didn't use the correct wording - what I meant to say is that regardless of best-practices, I dare say that 90% (or even more) of the users don't have such setup, so in that it is an exception.

Working with security measures can indeed be a real pain. Anyway, for later :)

Edited by Sickboy

Created a little guide for a few friends so they can see how easy it is to use the updater and connect to my server

http://arma2uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16

let us know if iv'e missed anything important :)

Cool stuff!

You can use these urls btw:

More info @ http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+Documentation#Commandline%20parameters

Search on server name in the servers browser also finds the servers pretty quick.

It's also possible to setup a custom zSync repository with mods, missions and additional configuration (even for TeamSpeak/Mumble server, etc);

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+zSync_Setup

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+zSync_Setup+UI

Re the logged exceptions in the screenshots, could you please send the logs to the issue tracker? tnx :)

Edited by Sickboy

k and i was about to ask which logs :)

guessing six-updater-gui.log?

k and i was about to ask which logs :)

guessing six-updater-gui.log?

Always attach all logs please - saves hassle ;) Edited by Sickboy

Hi,

In six-updater can I change the order the mods are loaded in the launch string? I have a problem where one mod needs to go after another one.

Hi,

In six-updater can I change the order the mods are loaded in the launch string? I have a problem where one mod needs to go after another one.

Heya, currently not possible, and also not planned currently.

Addon load order is internally handled by the game through addon config's requiredAddons in CfgPatches class.

But, there might still be situations where modfolder loadorder does matter (equal pboprefix, broken/incomplete addon config etc)

Workaround is create a shortcut with the updater, and adjust the shortcut manually.

If the parameter line gets too big (windows limitation), you can also use a .bat file.

You can also copy the full startup line from the Params field of the Info RibbonGroup right up.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18777

Edited by Sickboy

Heya, currently not possible, and also not planned currently.

Addon load order is internally handled by the game through addon config's requiredAddons in CfgPatches class.

But, there might still be situations where modfolder loadorder does matter (equal pboprefix, broken/incomplete addon config etc)

Workaround is create a shortcut with the updater, and adjust the shortcut manually.

If the parameter line gets too big (windows limitation), you can also use a .bat file.

You can also copy the full startup line from the Params field of the Info RibbonGroup right up.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18777

OK mate, thanks for that - I will work around it.

OK mate, thanks for that - I will work around it.
Oh my - just realized I actually did add basic support for prioritizing :D

Currently only supported for Mods available on the official network.

On the Mods datagrid, you'll find the Prio column.

Prio 0 will be added first, Prio 1 later, and so on.

To pull a mod before all other mods give it e.g prio -1.

The -mod= bit in the params field right up didn't respect the priorities though, fixed in latest app update.

Edited by Sickboy

I'm getting vague reports at the comment section of SU that updating is slow for some people.

I cannot replicate the issue as described @ http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+Home#comment-178928987

Can anyone confirm long update times? If so, any details, logs etc? Thanks.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18781

Edited by Sickboy

SU slow? Can´t confirm this. Since the newer V2 Series is out it goes for me the other Way...Faster than other Download Methods!