Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

SIX Projects - Updater Suite, Portal, Config Browser, etc.

i noticed that the arma 2 folder now has a new folder called servermods where cba and ace related mods go into

however now im getting this x/ace scipt common macros.hpp error when i try to launch the game

i did fix it again by moving cba and ace out into the arma 2 root where they used to be

is it supposed to be like this am i suposet to manualy move and overwrite after each update?

i noticed that the arma 2 folder now has a new folder called servermods where cba and ace related mods go into

however now im getting this x/ace scipt common macros.hpp error when i try to launch the game

i did fix it again by moving cba and ace out into the arma 2 root where they used to be

is it supposed to be like this am i suposet to manualy move and overwrite after each update?

You only get mods in servermods folder if you are joining a server that has custom-mods - not from the SU network, but from their (server hoster) custom SU repository.

If you get errors like script macros hpp not found etc, you're not starting the game properly. Have you tried letting the updater start it?

Did you try a clean new preset?

it seem to be fixet by it self now i was on the devheaven server

i changed to the stargate server and it's now back to normal :)

it seem to be fixet by it self now i was on the devheaven server

i changed to the stargate server and it's now back to normal :)

dev-heaven server? we don't host no game servers :)

ACE TEST info: ace.dev-heaven.net zSync: rsync.dev-heaven.net:83/dev/ace-test_01.yml

this server

ACE TEST info: ace.dev-heaven.net zSync: rsync.dev-heaven.net:83/dev/ace-test_01.yml

this server

Right, that's our (ACE) private test server yep :D

It usually contains the latest development snapshot - nightly build.

However currently it only contains the build from last friday.

Works just fine too - just confirmed.

Startup the game with the Six Updater 'start game' action, saving you from user-error creating and managing shortcuts etc.

In case you don't use the startgame action in SU, because you can't add custom mods.... you actually can! :D

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+FAQ#Using%20custom%20(non%20SU)%20mods

Multi-Threaded download+md5sum+unpack base implementation is done.

Only left are improvements like improving the progress report.

On my system (i7 4ghz, 12 gb ram, vertex SSD, 100 mbit download), 4 threads gives ~300% speed increase, while 8 threads ~600%!

Performance stats available @ http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17445#note-8

Probably will be available in update push later today/tonight.

Edited by Sickboy

Btw, regarding my issues with the Six Updater - turns out those weren't related to the Updater at all. After having similar problems with access rights while developing one of my .Net applications, I became suspicous about a bunch of Windows services I deactivated a few days ago. None of them seemed to have anything to do with these problems, but upon reactivating all of them the issues were gone, too. The Six Updater now updates itself properly and works as intended.

Handy tool, btw, though it's somewhat hard to use for an ArmA newbie ;)

Btw, regarding my issues with the Six Updater - turns out those weren't related to the Updater at all. After having similar problems with access rights while developing one of my .Net applications, I became suspicous about a bunch of Windows services I deactivated a few days ago. None of them seemed to have anything to do with these problems, but upon reactivating all of them the issues were gone, too. The Six Updater now updates itself properly and works as intended.

Handy tool, btw, though it's somewhat hard to use for an ArmA newbie ;)

Glad to hear you got it sorted! Probably will add it to the FAQ sometime :-)

Yea learning curve is steep, at least when not simply connecting to a clan/community server which sets things up largely automatically, I knows :)

I've at least provided updated and new basic documentation http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+Overview

Improvements are continuesly made, and will keep up for a while; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/roadmap

have tasks planned for at least 3 more versions after 2.2 :P

While functionality gets a higher prio. Of course things would go faster if I were not the only developer on the project ;)

Edited by Sickboy

Well, one thing I'd personally like to see is "mod descriptions". There are so many mods listed there and most of them have pretty cryptic names. What exactly are CBA, TRFW, SFP_mod or GL4? Which of the seven ACE-mods do I really need and what does each one bring to the table?

I know, that kind of information is available "somewhere" on the net, be it mod release forums, dedicated mod homepages or some ArmA site... but it's a pain in the ass having to google for all that, just because the mod managing tool doesn't already provide that info.

Also there is a lot of overhead and "noise", that just confuses new users. Like some columns on the mod list: Skip? Disabled? Prio? Path? Incl? Excl? - does the average user really knows what to do with them? Or what a RepoBuilder is, what Sync does or what "Process keys" or "Process userconfigs" actually means?

Some way to filter servers by gametype, installed mods or whatever would also be pretty handy. It's a nightmare to browse through that listing with seemingly hundreds of confusing columns.

Don't get me wrong - I certainly don't want to bash or dismiss the tool... I know first-hand how much work is involved in even the most simplest tools sometimes, let alone something as complex as Six Updater with all these handy features. I just wanted to provide some feedback from a "just want to play some mods" type of user. Something like a distinction between basic and advanced mode would be cool, I guess. Or even just an option to hide the columns you're not interested in.

In the Mods datagrid, the Info column is a button, if you click it at any of the mods you end up on the server portal, with homepage, readme, changelog, bikey download, etc.

Also in the Mods datagrid, the Categories field is available.

In the preset tree on the left, if you right click a mod, there's also the Get Info option.

All columns in all datagrids are sortable by clicking on the column headers. While starting to type letters will perform a search.

More advanced filtering, searching etc is available at the Updater Server Portal, but it will also come for the Updater.

Most other things are already on the roadmap :)

Lastly there's the docu on wagn, and inside the application every button, column header, checkbox, listbox/combobox, or otherwise, when you hover over it, displays a tooltip with information on what it does or means.

Not disagreeing with the complexity and steep learning curve, yet the info is out there, and i'm working on it.

Edited by Sickboy

How do I overturn the "mod is tagged disabled" , when its not and is required for the mod to work on the server. Being having this issue your new version and old version of six updater.

How do I overturn the "mod is tagged disabled" , when its not and is required for the mod to work on the server. Being having this issue your new version and old version of six updater.

What game edition do you have and what game edition does the mod require?

Perhaps you need to select the A2 OA Combined Ops profile, to allow the mods to work, but of course if the mod requires it and you don't have CO, the mod will probably not work correctly.

If still issues please create a ticket with the requested details, name of the mod, log files;

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+bug_reporting

Couldn't resist... After the amazing improvements to both speed and otherwise, in the yesterday released Updater 2.2 Release Candidate,

i'm happy to announce another major optimization, reducing the update time even more:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18338

- reusable worker threads - instead of spawning new threads for every queue item

- lowered the artificial bottleneck by 100 times

- multi-threading enabled for the calculating checksum stages - 200% speed increase!

Added to latest lib auto-self-update. And will also be included in the SU 2.2 stable release.

Edited by Sickboy

ah never mind got the hang of it now. Should of selected "Use selected" rather then "new present from seletced" in the server list. And I have combined ops.

I'm happy to announce the Stable release of Six Updater 2.2!

http://dev-heaven.net/news/542

This is a major release of new features and improvements.

The stable contains minor fixes on top of the release candidate.

Work will soon commence on the next version, see Roadmap for details.

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

Also check out the growing list of servers and communities deploying SU Custom Repositories with mods or versions not found on the official network;

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+Communities

Couple of questions regarding setting up the six-updater on linux.

Should the mods be installed in the main arma directory like with windows or does the ace stuff need to be in a separete dir? once you use ./tolower will the updater still recognise the files and if so how would i need to change my arma2oaserver file, also is there a script that auto tolower the upper cases?

ARMA_DIR=/home/mark/arma2
CONFIG=server.cfg
PORT=2302
PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid
RUNFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.run
LOGFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/log.${PORT}.txt
SERVER=${ARMA_DIR}/server
PROFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/host/host.arma2profile
NAME=host
OTHERPARAMS=-cpucount=2
MOD=

and

-port=${PORT} -pid=${PIDFILE} -name=${NAME} -profile=${PROFILE} ${OTHERPARAMS} -mod=${MOD}

Sry prob very basic questions just want to make sure i understand and get it right before i start installing the six updater with your instructions http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+Linux

and i take it it will also update say duala we a version is released?

Edited by anarcho
add stuff

Couple of questions regarding setting up the six-updater on linux.

Should the mods be installed in the main arma directory like with windows or does the ace stuff need to be in a separete dir? once you use ./tolower will the updater still recognise the files and if so how would i need to change my arma2oaserver file, also is there a script that auto tolower the upper cases?

ARMA_DIR=/home/mark/arma2
CONFIG=server.cfg
PORT=2302
PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid
RUNFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.run
LOGFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/log.${PORT}.txt
SERVER=${ARMA_DIR}/server
PROFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/host/host.arma2profile
NAME=host
OTHERPARAMS=-cpucount=2
MOD=

and

-port=${PORT} -pid=${PIDFILE} -name=${NAME} -profile=${PROFILE} ${OTHERPARAMS} -mod=${MOD}

Sry prob very basic questions just want to make sure i understand and get it right before i start installing the six updater with your instructions http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+Linux

and i take it it will also update say duala we a version is released?

Heya, thanks for your interest!

All modfolder names will automatically be tolowered.

All files and folders will get their case as it is available on the SU network, however everything on the SU network is in lower case already.

At least, should be, if you find anything that isn't - please let me know :)

You can set a custom mod path by defining :app_modpath: inside the six-updater.yml, but there is no need if you don't want to.

If no modpath is set, by default it will install to :app_path: instead.

The linux updater can install or update the same mods as the windows one,

so if you have the @isla_duala mod defined in the six-updater.yml, it will keep it up2date as well.

You could use the six-updater as your server starter (:app_params: for the parameters, and --startgame as cli option to start it etc), but otherwise arma2oaserver file can be operated just as any other server, MOD= of course reflecting the mods you want loaded.

Lastly there's a cheap alternative, in case you run into issues or what-ever reason, http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Updater_2_2_Upload_preset_to_server_by_FTP_or_rSync

Hopefully this answers your questions, otherwise I'll gladly answer any other :)

Edited by Sickboy