Sign in to follow this  
Laqueesha

Does ArmA 2 support surround sound?

I have searched but could not find a good answer for this question. The reason I ask this question is because I have purchased a surround sound headset along with a surround sound card and the headset does not work with my copy of ArmA 2, while on the other hand, it works with countless other PC games I have installed on my computer, and several of my Playstation 3 games, Blu-ray movies, DVDs, and XBOX 360 games. There are no options for surround sound in the audio menu like in other games, only audio volume sliders.

So, does ArmA 2 support surround sound, and if so, how can one get it work?

Edited by Laqueesha

Yes it does support surround sound. I have a 5.1 setup working fine. I didn't do anything special to get it to work so I'm not sure how to help you.

It supports surround sound, but like Max Power mentioned, I do not know if there's something you have to do to enable it. Mine worked right away.

I have an X-Fi Gamer and sound in ArmA2 only seems to work properly if i use Game mode and turn of CMSS-3D.

My 5.1 Medusa works perfect, didn´t have to do something....

I use Creative Fatal1ty HS1000 headset and surround works great.

I have Asus Xonar DX soundcard, and I'm using Medusa headset with 5.1 sounds. Works perfectly. Only problem is with ARMA 2 when sometimes some sounds tend to stick to a specific channel, rather than coming from a specific direction. When that happens it can be hard to find the direction where that sound comes from. Luckily that doesn't happen all the time..

I have a gigabyte onboard sound card and a Logitech x5500 setup.

I have onboard surround and 5.1 speakers. I would say most of the time I am getting 360 degree sound, but not always. Just make sure your speakers are set for 5.1 in your control panel/sound options (mine are always set to stereo after I reformat). There are no settings in Arma that I know of to fuck with.

But like I said, I've even spun around with a helicopter close by and did get some 360 degree sound... I was mostly sober at the time too.

I have a weird issue of horrible, very loud, static when I first install Arma 2 after a reformat with my new speakers. So I just plug my old 2.1 speakers into the headphone jack of my new speakers and use them, after an hour or so unplug old speakers, and new speakers sound great. I only have to do it once each reformat, but that's 3 times now my trick has worked. :rolleyes:

I fixed the problem, mates.

It turned out that my audio settings were tuned to surround sound speakers, when I actually had surround sound headphones. Silly me. :o

I changed the output setting to the correct format and now I am getting full, beautiful surround sound in ArmA 2. Not perfect, but definitely an improvement over my previous stereo speakers/headphones. Thanks for all your help, mates! ;)

ArmA 2 never sounded better. :D

Now for another question: Does ArmA 2 support 7.1 surround sound and/or higher? Or any of the previous games (ArmA 1, OFP, etc)?

Edited by Laqueesha