Sign in to follow this  
Dysentery

Having lighting and shadows graphics problems

When in Arma 2 the light is flickering and changing brightness. Sometimes the light will be as bright as possible and I can't see anything at all for like 10 seconds or less and this happens often. And with my nightvision its usually so dark its very difficult to even be competitive. So night time games arent very playable. Also, I have shadows like in tree lines glitching on and off really fast. I have 2 ATI Radeon HD 5900 series cards and new alienware computer so everything is totally maxed out.

Your problem is crossfire. A2 doesn't work very well with crossfire. Disable it and only use one card, then all of your problems should go away.

It be hard to say whether you have a problem or not with the lighting effects without a video or screenshots of the issue, as it sounds normal to me from what you said, and it is ment to represent natural lighting effects and sun blindness, when looking in the suns direction when its low on the horizon. At night it is normally near totally dark without googles. With googles on, then sources of light including stars do effect your vision when zooming in as your not just zooming in your also increasing the focus near a light source, which inturn intensifies the light making your overall vision darker.

As for the shadows, well i get the odd popping in and out of shadows occassionally, so am inclined to say that thats more a glitch then anything else, but having the must upto date drivers for your hardware if you haven't already got them may help.

But screen shots or preferably a video of the issues and answers to what the poster above asked for would help.

Problem with night fighting is that there are rarely anyone around to provide proper battlefield illumination i.e. using artillery (or FFAR warheads, but not implemented). Even if I ask for illumination support, a few seconds later it will be the usual bang bang bang because "explosions are so coooool" :(

Keep in mind you would never be able to fight in the engagement distances typical to Arma, using night vision goggles. You can't even use sights in real life, unless it has a builtin night vision.

When in Arma 2 the light is flickering and changing brightness. Sometimes the light will be as bright as possible and I can't see anything at all for like 10 seconds or less and this happens often. And with my nightvision its usually so dark its very difficult to even be competitive. So night time games arent very playable. Also, I have shadows like in tree lines glitching on and off really fast. I have 2 ATI Radeon HD 5900 series cards and new alienware computer so everything is totally maxed out.
set your in game Memory setting to Default, and your HDR-precision to 32, in the arma2.cfg

Hello! Same Hardware and same issue as Dysentery explain.

I will try kklownboy solution, I keep you informed if it change it.

Any way the game look so great, I retrieve the great feeling of the first Operation Flashpoint game!:yay:

WOW factor is 10/10!

Cheers,

s.

Windows ver.? Driver ver.? Game ver.? In game settings?

details....

Windows 7, Driver version I have no idea, game version should be the current version since i only do pvp online play.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

It be hard to say whether you have a problem or not with the lighting effects without a video or screenshots of the issue, as it sounds normal to me from what you said, and it is ment to represent natural lighting effects and sun blindness, when looking in the suns direction when its low on the horizon. At night it is normally near totally dark without googles. With googles on, then sources of light including stars do effect your vision when zooming in as your not just zooming in your also increasing the focus near a light source, which inturn intensifies the light making your overall vision darker.

As for the shadows, well i get the odd popping in and out of shadows occassionally, so am inclined to say that thats more a glitch then anything else, but having the must upto date drivers for your hardware if you haven't already got them may help.

But screen shots or preferably a video of the issues and answers to what the poster above asked for would help.

No it's absolutely abnormal graphic issues. My screen goes completely white for no reason nothing to do with the sun and im blinded and it fades away. and my brightness is flickering rapidly from darker to brighter... and when using nightvision its very very dark too dark to play decently. im not talking about getting blinding from looking at a light with night vision......

Just for your information, Memory setting to Default works well and resolve the periodic flash issue. I just started the training missions and the feeling is great!:232:

Your problem is crossfire. A2 doesn't work very well with crossfire. Disable it and only use one card, then all of your problems should go away.

Are you fucking nuts? retarded? you think im going to cut my graphics quality in half?

Are you fucking nuts? retarded? you think im going to cut my graphics quality in half?

+2 infraction points for that.

+2 infraction points for that.

I'll take that as a compliment... ah, if only i was allowed to speak freely lmfao.

You are allowed to speak freely but not to insult anyone. You could have it written this way:

Are you serious? you think im going to cut my graphics quality in half?

And disabling CF will not cut the quality to half. A single GPU is well capable to handle maxed out settings for all GPU-related settings. I have a HD5870 myself and have everything maxed except the settings that are affected by CPU, which are Terrain details, Object details and viewdistance.

So with disabling CF you'll hardly notice any major quality loss and probably with almost same FPS.

You are allowed to speak freely but not to insult anyone. You could have it written this way:

And disabling CF will not cut the quality to half. A single GPU is well capable to handle maxed out settings for all GPU-related settings. I have a HD5870 myself and have everything maxed except the settings that are affected by CPU, which are Terrain details, Object details and viewdistance.

So with disabling CF you'll hardly notice any major quality loss and probably with almost same FPS.

Depends, what Resolution you use. High_AA(8aa) with one card/5870 or 4870X2, is too much for any Res over 1280/1024~. You can run High but the slowdowns are to much for me. Sooo when i use two cards i can up the AA and even use edgedect in the CCC (still keep Application Prefernce) @ 1920/1440, but noway i can do that @1600/1200 with one card. CF is a BIG help to use a larger RES and real AA filtering. You do get the epic light or dark episodes, but they are rare if you use 32HDR and default Memory. And they are well worth the usage to get a really nice rendering.

im getting this trouble and to my amazement i am unable to get the CCC to turn off/disable Crossfire.

I go down to the crossfire tab, uncheck it and then click the apply button and bam! it turns it right back on, even unchecking it and pressing OK does nothing as the moment i load up CCC it automatically turns crossfire back on.

my specs are as follows:

Alienware Area 51

i7 975 quad core

6gig ram

2x 2gig 5970s

set your in game Memory setting to Default, and your HDR-precision to 32, in the arma2.cfg

Ok sorry im just trying to implement the solution now but how do you get to arma2.cfg? Are both the memory and hdr settings in the arma2.cfg?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

And i just changed my 3d graphics to 200% (no idea what that is) and now i cant even get into the game my screen is black after the load screens... cant even get to the main menu.

My Documents\ArmA 2\YourUserName\ArmA2.cfg. Open it with notepad and edit whatever you want. Some more options are in same folder, file is called "YourUserName.arma2profile".

My Documents\ArmA 2\YourUserName\ArmA2.cfg. Open it with notepad and edit whatever you want. Some more options are in same folder, file is called "YourUserName.arma2profile".

All I see are these: localVRAM=1053007872;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647; Is it one of those? And what do I do about this: "And i just changed my 3d graphics to 200% (no idea what that is) and now i cant even get into the game my screen is black after the load screens... cant even get to the main menu."

Not a great way to get help.

I understand your complaint, a $600-$700 graphics card. Still have no idea why the devs have not taken advantage of SLI and CrossfireX.

Not a great way to get help.

I understand your complaint, a $600-$700 graphics card. Still have no idea why the devs have not taken advantage of SLI and CrossfireX.

*sigh* I can't speak for CrossfireX but this game definitely takes advantage of SLI.

Kind of tired of seeing these posts about how SLI doesn't work in this game. It does, I use it, end of discussion.

*sigh* I can't speak for CrossfireX but this game definitely takes advantage of SLI.

Kind of tired of seeing these posts about how SLI doesn't work in this game. It does, I use it, end of discussion.

It may well work for SLI, but it wasn't always like that! (look at all the nvidia threads)

Plus the OP has ATI Crossfire (as you noticed) not Nvidia SLI, so the issue here is not SLI related. So stating "end of discussion" in this thread, just because SLI works on your system in a thread where the OP uses Crossfire (which may or my not be the course of the OP's problems) is unhelpful, and basically makes your post pointless and nothing more then a gloat! As am sure some people out there still have problems running ARMA 2 with SLI too, with whom i am sure will find the on going discussion about SLI helpful even if you don't!

It may well work for SLI, but it wasn't always like that! (look at all the nvidia threads)

Plus the OP has ATI Crossfire (as you noticed) not Nvidia SLI, so the issue here is not SLI related. So stating "end of discussion" in this thread, just because SLI works on your system in a thread where the OP uses Crossfire (which may or my not be the course of the OP's problems) is unhelpful, and basically makes your post pointless and nothing more then a gloat! As am sure some people out there still have problems running ARMA 2 with SLI too, with whom i am sure will find the on going discussion about SLI helpful even if you don't!

I was only referring to SLI, as I said in my post. "End of discussion" meaning "stop posting that SLI doesn't work". :rolleyes:

The post I quoted was made today, so really it doesn't matter if it didn't work some time long ago.

I also said that I couldn't say about CrossfireX, so...What was the point of your post, again?

All I see are these: localVRAM=1053007872;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647; Is it one of those? And what do I do about this: "And i just changed my 3d graphics to 200% (no idea what that is) and now i cant even get into the game my screen is black after the load screens... cant even get to the main menu."

Guys, I still have this problem... I havent gotten an answer to these. I cant even get into the game at all now after i turned 3d setting to 200 percent not knowing what it was...

I was only referring to SLI, as I said in my post. "End of discussion" meaning "stop posting that SLI doesn't work". :rolleyes:

The post I quoted was made today, so really it doesn't matter if it didn't work some time long ago.

I also said that I couldn't say about CrossfireX, so...What was the point of your post, again?

The point is that you responded to a post that did not state anything about SLI not working but merely asked the question why BIS have not taken advantage of SLI and crossfire - By basically saying your sick of the SLI not working disscussion, when no one even said it didnt work. Which made your post pointless.

The point in my post was to make it clear that this was not and SLI issue and that just because it works for you doesnt mean SLI works for everyone, which makes your post nothing more then a gloat and a slap in the face to those that can not get SLI to work and use the SLI discussions to find a solution to their problem.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Guys, I still have this problem... I havent gotten an answer to these. I cant even get into the game at all now after i turned 3d setting to 200 percent not knowing what it was...

Dysentery to solve the issue you have been having since you changed your settings to 200%, i personally would delete the Arma2.cfg File, and then try loading the game, as it will rewrite a new .cfg file. Your settings will be back to default, so you will need to change the settings to how you like, but try avoid the 200% setting.

As for the HDRPrecision=32;

It should appear under the following line in your cfg like so toward the bottom above the localVRam and NonlocalVRam.-

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=32;

If it doesnt appear in your .cfg, then you will need to add it manually so it appears as above, and then save the file when exiting it.

Hope that helps.

The point is that you responded to a post that did not state anything about SLI not working but merely asked the question why BIS have not taken advantage of SLI and crossfire - By basically saying your sick of the SLI not working disscussion, when no one even said it didnt work. Which made your post pointless.

Are you joking? The post I quoted said that the poster did not understand why the devs "did not take advantage of SLI and CrossfireX". The game does take advantage of SLI, and probably CrossfireX for that matter, if set up properly. Posts saying SLI doesn't work in ArmA2 is nothing short of spreading false statements and gets us nowhere. Therefore, I felt compelled to post because this is not the first time I've seen this in recent history. Whether SLI/CrossfireX works for every user isn't the point; the point is that it's not an issue on the ArmA2 end, but rather the user, because the game does in fact support multi-GPU rendering.

That said, the only thing you are right about is that the SLI discussion, while somewhat related, doesn't belong in this thread which is about CrossfireX.

Edited by MavericK96