Sign in to follow this  
Game__On

Tanking

This has bothered the crap out of me for quite some time now.

Being in a tank with a full crew is awesome, except for one thing.

How on earth does the commander relay targets to the gunner ?

I mean if i 'lock' a target, should the gunner not get the reticule as well ?

Screaming "a little left, a little more, oh you went too far" is not really effective .

Is it possible that the commander of the tank relays targets to the gunner ?

Can the driver do this to ?

I assume you're talking about players, not AI. There is no way to my knowledge, the best thing to do is to communicate quickly and efficiently. Try using bearings in degrees, so 170 degrees, 90 degrees etc. Also tell the gunner the type of target, the distance and any recognisable features near the target. Say traverse left or right to adjust, and elevate or decrease. When the gunner has traversed enough and is aiming at the target, say "On" so they stop.

Not the answer you're looking for i know, but it's the best advice i can give :P

My team always uses voice comms, crewing a armored fighting vehicle like a tank makes that even more important.

Everyone in the crew tries to spot targets. As mentioned, calling out bearings is crucial.

Cmd: "Contact - tank. Bearing 120."

Gun: "Roger - 120"

Driver: "Turning left"

*boom*

Cmd: "Crew bailed"

Gun: "Switching MG"

Cmd: "AT at 60 - I got him"

Cmd: "Clear. Move to hill 65. Go hull-down for the town"

Driver: "Rolling..."

You can crew a AFV with just gunner and driver, having commander helps even more in battle management.

Driver - Your job is to protect the tank by using terrain and then provide good angles for shooting. When in town ( something to avoid as much as possible ) keep in mind that the gunner view in urban terrain is extremely limited and will often just see walls. You have to help keep him orientated and where possible avoid getting in clutter in the first place. When encountering threats, you should try to orientate the vehicle to present the strongest surviving armor forward - typically the nose of the vehicle. If possible, try to get your vehicle either hull-down or turret-down. Announce your plans to move so the gunner can maintain orientation.

Gunner - Always keep a sabot in the gun when in situations where you might be unexpectedly encounter armor. Fire that round instead of reloading to another type if you have to - it's quicker. Know your bearings and how fast you can traverse that gun by heart or don't gun. You are the quiet one in the team, keep your chatter low so the others can communicate info to you.

Commander - your job is to spot and guide, not eat up machine-gun ammo. Use that MG only for backup. Given you have the high position, you can see more than anyone else. Scan for targets constantly. Keep the info concise. Let the driver do the detailed maneuvers - you only should give him goals and help out only when getting into hull-down or turret-down position.

Hi all

At lower skill levels targets designated to a player show up in the HUD.

Quick and Dirty

Commander gives gunner

"Orient On Me"

Or the compass direction of the target.

Gunner observes direction that commander is looking and gets the compass direction then turns main gun to that direction.

Commander either orders

"Watch my tracer"

Or gives an estimated elevation in Mills from sight or by best guess.

For a more detailed description use reference objects as per this BIS Wiki page on contact reports

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Contact_Reports

You will also need to read up on Communcations procedures

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Radio_Comms

Kind Regards walker

Weird that the commander can't just relay targets.

Anyway, today i was finally with a good crew. Took out 10 hard targets and a load of infantry and stayed alive, on veteran, domination. (had to repair once though)

Stayed real low, trying to only let the turret stick out .(I read a guide on tanking)

No using 'turbo' while driving seems to help to (noise?)

Using bearing with distance and it was ok .

Altough my commenting was not all that professional like in the link above, i was more like "check out 2-2-8 , 1500" , gunner would respond "got it: bmp" and boom .

Works i guess

Edited by Game__On

You can in vanilla. Select gunner, and give him order to attack via the menu that comes up. If gunner gets a red target marker probably depends on servers difficulty setting. This is also most likely disabled by ACE (at least the textual information on the target hud), requiring a bit more skill on the tanks crew. Communication is key.

I think IRL commander can automatically turn turret to the direction he's targeting so gunner can quickly attack.