Sign in to follow this  
Binkowski

Binkowski's WIP thread

Yes, Special Forces do and don't wear their unit and/or combat patches. Depends on METT-TC, but more specifically the M(ission). DA and SA typically no, but FID typically yes. I spent a lot of time around SF when I was still a private turd.

A Special Forces unit patch is the Arrowhead with an Airborne Tab. If you're SF qualified (like everyone on an ODA) then you wear the "long tab" aka Special Forces Tab on the left shoulder over the Airborne tab, like the pic Laqueesha posted above.

If you're a combat vet who deployed with SF, you of course wear the unit patch on the right shoulder, but its only the Arrowhead with Airborne tab, not the SF tab, because the SF tab is a skill identifier and is only worn on the left. The same is true for any skill identifier tab: Airborne, Ranger, Sapper, etc, unless the tab is considered part of the unit patch, like SF, 101st, 82nd, 10th, etc.

Make sense?

You know his units and your campaign would be a nice mix.

yeahh. they're close to release.

Looking forward to it, but what has been funny as of late is addon makers saying something is close to release, but then 2 months pass and still no addon. I have a very hectic schedule and I try to peek in whenever I can and it is weird to have some addon makers make these pronouncements and nothing ever comes out, not even a beta.

Not saying you are one of them or being a jerk about it (why would I anyway since I'm not doing the work), but I think more addon makers should not tell us something is close to release unless they are releasing something that day or the next because it is starting to become a disappointment thinking the work is done, but it apparently ends up going from "about to release" to people asking "what happened?".

Starting to get annoying and I hope that you will be the one to break the trend. All of us in the community appreciates the hard work being done by the addon makers and we understand how hard it is to juggle life and create awesome addons, but things are best handled once the work is done or a beta is getting released. If you gonna say "close to release", please attach a specific date with it. If you can't, please don't tell us.

Your work looks awesome and look forward to using them......hopefully soon.

Edited by bugkill

The man speaks the truth, I've had the pleasure of beta testing and they are damn near done.

Looking forward to it, but what has been funny as of late is addon makers saying something is close to release, but then 2 months pass and still no addon. I have a very hectic schedule and I try to peek in whenever I can and it is weird to have some addon makers make these pronouncements and nothing ever comes out, not even a beta. Not saying you are one of them or being a jerk about it (why would I anyway since I'm not doing the work), but I think more addon makers should not tell us something is close to release unless they are releasing something that day or the next because it is starting to become a disappointment thinking the work is done, but it apparently ends up going from "about to release" to people asking "what happened?". Starting to get annoying and I hope that you will be the one to break the trend. All of us in the community appreciates the hard work being done by the addon makers and we understand how hard it is to juggle life and create awesome addons, but things are best handled once the work is done or a beta is getting released. If you gonna say "close to release", please attach a specific date with it. If you can't, please don't tell us. Your work looks awesome and look forward to using them. hopefully soon.

[RANT]Here be rant. I certainly do understand your frustration. Many addon makers say "It's almost done! A few more days!" Or, they'll give an actual release date and they're gone for months, or even years in some cases. The latter annoys me the most as the former is left intentionally vague and ambiguous so it's hard to get upset about it. I have no problem with addon makers taking their time and perfecting their work, but at least try to give an accurate release date that is realistic and that you can meet or don't give one at all. No need to be afraid, because the community will not be upset if you come clean and honestly state that you cannot give a fixed release date due to whatever reason. It won't upset us, but what will upset us is addon makers continuously giving fixed release dates that they never, ever even meet. Anyway, rant over.[/RANT] :D

The man speaks the truth, I've had the pleasure of beta testing and they are damn near done.

I can vouch for Binkowski too. He's a good man. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

[RANT]Here be rant. I certainly do understand your frustration. Many addon makers say "It's almost done! A few more days!" Or, they'll give an actual release date and they're gone for months, or even years in some cases. The latter annoys me the most as the former is left intentionally vague and ambiguous so it's hard to get upset about it. I have no problem with addon makers taking their time and perfecting their work, but at least try to give an accurate release date that is realistic and that you can meet or don't give one at all. No need to be afraid, because the community will not be upset if you come clean and honestly state that you cannot give a fixed release date due to whatever reason. It won't upset us, but what will upset us is addon makers continuously giving fixed release dates that they never, ever even meet. Anyway, rant over.[/RANT] :D

well you know Addon makers have this thing called real life, if your ranting about how addon makers can be vague with release dates, well try making an addon yourself. Also remember addon makers do this out of their own time.

@Binkowski great looking addon keep up the good work :)

well you know Addon makers have this thing called real life, if your ranting about how addon makers can be vague with release dates, well try making an addon yourself. Also remember addon makers do this out of their own time.

+1

Keep up the good work bink :D

Whoa. I already addressed this in my post and I stated that the community knows how difficult it is to juggle life and create addons. However, if your intent as a addon maker is to release to the community and get everyone excited about your work with screenshots and the like, don't discuss the status of the addon as being close to release unless you are positive that you will release something very soon, as in a matter of 1-2 days.

My comments are not directed towards Bink, only that I'm speaking out about this issue. Not really complaining or demanding anything, only asking for addon makers to take caution with stating that their work is "close to release" or "only have to fix a couple of bugs and it should be out this weekend".

Like I said before, not a "rant", just speaking out on some things that I've noticed lately with some addon makers. Good to hear that there is some confirmation that it is beta tested and should be out soon.

thanks for all the positive comments guys. really means a lot to me :). in regards to the marines, they are currently being weighed by stalkergb. thankfully, he's been gracious enough to take his time and weigh them for me, as soon as i get them back weighed properly they'll be in full swing.

regarding the 10th mountain guys, they were really just a backburner for fun project. maybe i'll finish them up after these sf.

yes, i understand i left out the airborne tab. i'm not going to leave it off. as i said, these are just in private beta. i'll add it later.

and finally, regarding bugkills post. i completely agree with him, so how about we drop the little arguments that are happening before they explode and this thread gets locked again shall we? come into this thread to look at my addons and such, not to argue.

regarding the 10th mountain guys, they were really just a backburner for fun project. maybe i'll finish them up after these sf.

That would be great! :D

well, since i just sent the final private beta version to my testers. you can expect a release by next week, i've decided to completely remove arm patches. not only can i add the squad.xml support for multiplayer. but it also stops the people who are going to complain about the patches not being the ones they wanted.

Edited by Binkowski

Don't worry, we can wait until next week. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

One thing I know for certain that people will enjoy is the replacement configurations that were made for these. People who don't like the BIS default Deltas will certainly enjoy having these guys replace them. :)

I thought that it is only possible to make a replacement with reskins, unless it would then need to be used on a server and all clients if used on Multiplayer, units look very good though.

hai bink i was betatesting ur units and i woz quiet annoied at the lakk of arm patchz. cud you plz add the TROPIC THUNDER patch and ONLY the 1st ARMORED (ole ironside?) patch because this ws waht i woore in OP IRAQI FREEDOM LAUNCH.

nd all u haterz out there yer i was whereing multicam in 06 top secs soz k thx hello

eye kin haz ssi, purty pl0x? :)

eyesaph, turd infanttree divishun, lawst lootenantz, indiyun hedd, et al.

kamerun yu luky bassturd, yu. at leest yu gawt to beeter tezt. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

I thought that it is only possible to make a replacement with reskins, unless it would then need to be used on a server and all clients if used on Multiplayer, units look very good though.

Negatory, these fully work client side.

as sif stated, the replacement fully works client side. and thanks to animalmother i've been able to add an acex replacement as well!

Those C.D.F. S.O.F. blokes look good, but I think they'd look even better with more Eastern Bloc equipment, although that would look awkward with STANAG magazine pouches, thus requiring new models for magazine pouches, etc.

They were based off of the Ukranians deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, the common ground soldiers there carry G36s. But their Special Forces use kitted out AKs, there are no such weapons in vanilla OA.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=151201&d=1299529526

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141103&d=1288733426

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141102&d=1288733406

Edited by Sif

You could use the Sa-58, which is in Operation Arrowhead; since Chernarus is a fictional country it wouldn't be too out of place. Also, shouldn't a Chernarussian flag patch be on the arm, instead of the C.D.F. flag or whatever flag is on there at present? A version of the C.D.F. S.O.F. with C.D.F. camouflage instead of Multicam would be nice, although that would be asking too much. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

Truthfully those vz-58s are disgusting, they would most likely use tricked out AK-74s. I'd also like to point out that these models are barely even in the alpha stages, if the Ukrainian desert camo was acquired that'd probably be of better use.

Edited by Sif