Sign in to follow this  
Erratic

What kind of game modes do people usually play?

Hi, just bought the game via Steam so I am downloading as we speak!

First off, I've read someones handy multiplayer guide and I have infact played the original ArmA a little bit so, I'm aware of all the customization and Add-Ons that are available!

But I'm just curious as to what game modes people play? From what I've heard people have created their own new game modes. It would be interesting to try some of those out.

Also what launcher is best for ArmA II and is there one that can both handle my mods that I want to use and also download Add-Ons from servers? I know I'm asking for a lot but I recall seeing these programs when I was looking the other day so I'm just curious!

Can't wait to get playing! I know I'll be sat there messing around with all the graphics settings for ages until I'm happy that I've got it looking and running the best it can. I'm looking forward to playing online, I can imagine it's going to take alot of getting used to :D

Cheers.

hi and welcome

be sure to try out evolution co-op MP

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=85921&highlight=evo+fix&page=25

also sahrani - its great to go back and play it cos you can play in 8000m viewdistance no lag...

here's a list of all the mods we play with, which are most of the really good addons and islands - list includes a great launcher

http://www.gitsclan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5535

People mostly play custom-made MP missions. The most popular of these would be Evolution, Domination, Berzerk and Devastation, which are either large coops or large PvP games. Unfortunately, it can be quite hard to come by smaller coops or PvP games if you're only going to play in public servers, but shouldn't be too hard to get into if you ever decide to join a clan or something.

But welcome to the vast and wondrous world of Arma 2! :welcome:

Thanks zipper! As I understand, Evolution is like an RPG style mode in which you progress ranks based on how many kills you get? I Presume Domination is based on control of certain locations for points and I did hear that Berzerk is similar style to BF2 as far as the way it works goes. But what about Devastation? Haha, it sounds cool for sure! I think some nice firefights would be good, both close quarters and long range :)

My games 88% downloaded on Steam now, so not too long until I get a blast!

Yes, Evolution has a ranking system, but they won't be saved. So if you quit the server and come back, unless you can choose the same slot you were in and the mission hasn't been changed/restarted, you'll have to start all over again.

Domination is basically a large capture and hold game. You get assigned an objective to capture a random town on the map, and once it's captured you get another one. This continues until all of them are captured. Obviously, there's a bit more to it than that, which is hard to fit in to just one post, so I'd suggest trying it for yourself.

Berzerk is sort of like BF2, but Devastation is exactly that. Devastation is almost a copy of BF2's gameplay. Berzerk is fought over multiple areas in one zone, and whoever has the most points by the end of it wins.

Good luck, and happy hunting! :D

Sounds nice man! While I'm here, Is there a server browser that can download addons and stuff? If there was that would be perfect.

The main addon repository at the moment is Armaholic. There is no ingame addon downloader, but there is an ingame mission downloader (it just automatically downloads whatever mission you're about to play). There is a good tool called Yoma's AddonSync 2009 which automatically synchronizes with a server you choose and downloads mods for it. That might be a little complex for you just starting out, but give it a shot.

Thanks for the info Zipper, great to know. Just patched my game and going to download Yoma's addonsynce, I'm certain I'll be able to use it though :)

There are probably more game modes than players, and just about any player mostly plays a different one, so your question is rather impossible to answer, but a lot of common ones on public servers are the ones you see on the server list if you sort by number of players - Domination (and to a lesser degree Evolution), Warfare (mostly Benny's edition) and Chernarus Life.