Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Play ArmA 2. Win Prizes

Really enjoyed the game last night, and could easily have topped the table if I had killed a lot more, died less and not headbutted Rarius' stinger (was it me) ?

Kudos to Quester and his helo flying and Bushlurker for the revives.

And of course, thanks to the admin team.

It was you who stepped in from of Rarius, just as he let loose with a Stinger, getting him a dozen team kills! Much LOL!

Headbutting stingers - hardcore. Not even the camo cardy could stop that one.

secretarybrown.jpg

LOL

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Well, that went well. :)

Thank you to everyone who showed up and was patient while we rejigged the teams. We had 25 players for most of the evening.

Two of the side missions let us down - we thought we had that fixed - and the server behaved itself by and large. We have a few extra resources we can put into the server to help it a little. I screwed up quite early on because I didn't set the mission parameters properly. We were supposed to be playing a group of towns quite close in to the base, but we ended up playing a random selection.

I will admit to being a little nervous early on, but that soon disappeared when we got underway. I think the squad layout worked well, the comms were effective both on the squad channels and on the command channel. The class restrictions seemed to cause no complaints too. All in all, I'm happy that you guys are happy. That's what we came here to achieve!

Changes for game #2?

I'm going to remove the LAV-25 from the prizes list. Changing the LAV-MHQ for the LAV-25 was a very late decision for game #1 and I didn't think to remove the 25 from the prize list. When we won a bonus 25, it caused some confusion as to which one was our respawn vehicle and which one wasn't. :)

The Merlin didn't seem to turn it's lights off when the engine was off. I mentioned this to Rock when he dropped back into the server late in the game, but I worded it wrong and didn't make myself clear. I'll be in touch with him again.

The 2 misbehaving side missions; Not sure why that happened. As I said, in testing, we had them working fine. Hope to fix them for next game.

{edit} Might add a guard channel so that comms can go, in an emergency, to everyone in the server. Would probably only give this to squad leaders, but technically, it could be given to everyone.

Some overdue thanks to a couple of guys who help me out with code; JW-Custom, [ASA Oden], Xeno, Oktane, CarlGustaffa and of course, my tame code monkey Rarius. :) If others helped me and don't get a mention here, it's merely an oversight and not a comment on any assistance received. :)

Also, a number of chaps helped me extensively with testing. Too numerous to list, but you know who you are. Many thanks.

Edited by Tankbuster

Further thanks to Placebo and Foxhound for helping with the promotion. Well played, chaps! :)

nightheli2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for last night. Enjoyed running around in the dark taking snaps avoiding arty (mostly!)

I've got a day off today (been a long issue...) but have posted an event FAQ, which should hopefully iron out any questions you've got.

As it says, people are still welcome to sign-up for the reserves slots, as it often the case, life gets in the way of being there for all of the campaign, but if you sign-up you'll get a chance to snaffle a BI goody bag, even if you don't win the top prizes.

I've got a ton of images to wade through now!

Anyway, here's the FAQ link:

http://pcformat.techradar.com/community/chris-thornett/chernarus-rhapsody-arma-2-event-faqs-20-05-10

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you, next time! SLs were impressive, even the gin-drinking ones... :)

Good game last night, hoping to improve our squads performance next week :)

Is there any chance Delta could have Sekra as the resident corpsman? We got fond of him. :)

Btw, the time of day cycle wasn't a very good idea because the game fails at nighttime HDR. NVGs were either too bright or dark and the accelerated time (I think) introduced a weird strobe effect with the lighting. I also recommend using the latest stable beta patch that doesn't cause problems with the server, because vanilla 1.05 has a lot of graphical bugs and runs slower.

Sekra is a great medic, isn't he? :)

I'm keen to keep fast time. it sort of doubles your game. you get 2 games for the price of 1.

There is a configurable NVG which I and many use, we'll add it into the suggested addons pack, I think. The weird strobe stuff is caused by the enemy flares, but their bad effects can be mitigated to an extent by the manual adjustable NVG.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2989

Is there any chance Delta could have Sekra as the resident corpsman? We got fond of him. :)

Ditto..... Always there when you needed him,,,,,,,, Good bedside manners and happy enough to give us as many drugs as we ask for..... MY KIND OF MEDIC.... (only improvement would be a decent set of legs, :) )

This was one of the things that came out of the testing games, Sekra is uber medic! :D

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Guard channel sorted with just a few clicks in the mumble settings. Mumble rox.

awww guys you make me blush :D I was very happy at my role in delta team too and would love to be your resident corpsman. I also had that annoying weird strobelike effect using (vanilla) NVG's in the game.

Also with the beta patches, I'm the one who informed rarius about the possible issues with them, since the beta patches roll out constantly (again) there is no real way of testing all the addons if they work or not, and there have been issues previously with them and after talking this with Dwarden in IRC its apparent that the beta patches are really meant to be run with vanilla arma2 only naturally. And I too get a lot better performance with the beta patches but the underlying problem is that it cannot be guaranteed to run 100% with all addons and mods.

Tankbuster: Any chance of getting that group shot on page 5 as a bigger version? :)

Edited by Sekra

Great fun last night! It's all come together impressively well over the last few weeks... some nice touches like the image-cycling billboards...

And the Merlins!

CR_20_05_01.jpg

CR_20_05_02.jpg

B

Tankbuster: Any chance of getting that group shot on page 5 as a bigger version? :)

No, that's the biggest version. Long, dull story short: I didn't have TIR running when I took that so had to alt key freelook move my head to get gun and HUD out of shot, but using alt key stops my screenshot key working, so had to take a short movie using fraps and that grainy, small pic is a grab from that movie.

kdjac posted some links over on the PCFormat forums, and the group shot there appears to be higher res (though I can't see me in the photo - I do remember posing).

Bushie... go into settings in mumble and you can push the overlay right to the right hand side of the screen and make it a smaller font. It's much less obtrusive then.

Found that Tanky! Cheers mate...!

Colours too!... I'm becoming more and more impressed with Mumble...

B

If only it did transmit beeps. It would be really useful if it could be made to make a transmit beep when we're using the guard channel (which I now have working) so that people know that what what they are hearing is guard and they won't necessarily be able to reply.

TIP #2; If you're a medic, set that show player names to "show health".

I'll be sure to turn on the playernames next time, I forget you can do that on Domination.

Good games lads! Nice work Tanky, hope we can keep the squads the same or atleast similar :)

Looking forward to joining in on the next up and coming missions!

hope we can keep the squads the same or atleast similar :)

Yes, look at the signup page. We changed it around to reflect how the squads ended up being during game 1. In the next game, the squads will stay, as much as possible, like that.

Why are the squads being changed around so much?

10 people didn't show

People in my squad who showed up are also being moved? Our medic is now in another squad, he was excellent last week and I was going to recommend him for a prize, but he's being moved now?