Sign in to follow this  
ThaGZAgenius

3ds import

I need some help. I have imported a 3ds model into Oxygen2. When I try to view it in bulldozer I get only blue sky, no object. I do get small text in the upper left hand corner that says "anim". Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? All my other models work fine.

I would appreciate any help.

Barring a problem with the viewer itself...

Is your model extremely large or extremely small?

Are you sure you're viewing a Resolution LOD?

Are you sure the surface normals are correctly polarized (facing outwards)?

Before you exported, did you reset the transform in Max?

Hey Max

The viewer seems to be working correctly for all other models. The model is a car, and somewhat large.(cant get buldozer back to 4view, so I can see how many polys, lol I am a f******noob.) Yes, I am viewing LOD 1.000 (this is the only one, other than cargo ect.) I dont know how to make sure the surface normals are polorized.

But the Real Question is this: "Before you exported, did you reset the transform in Max? "

How this this done? I did not do this before export. Can you please describe how to do this? I am not experienced in Max.

What I mean by normal polarization was just make sure the model is right side in. Reseting the transform will help with his.

To reset the Transform, select the model(s), then on the sidebar, select the tools tab (I think it's the one to the right of hierarchy), then hit 'Reset Xform'. Then, collapse the stack of each object.

How many polygons / vertexes do you have on your model? This might be the reason it doesn't display.

thanks for that. I have given it a try, and it seems that the model is too big for import now. I thought that I could remove the parts of the model that are not needed to make it a smaller size, but when I try to select parts in max it selects the whole model. I cant just select one part. Any idea how to turn this off, so I can just select individual parts and delete them? Or is there a way to optimize and get count down?

Also, does anyone know what the "ANIM" in the upper right corner of buldozer? Animations?

Edited by ThaGZAgenius

Yes, I ment how to select certain parts of model in MAX, not O2. Everytime I try, it selects the entire model and not specific parts. Although, I have managed to cut the size down enough to get it to appear in buldozer. I used smooth edges. (obvious step, but I am a little rusty.)

I would still like to know how to remove animations from .max models. :mad:

Now I am off to find a way to "optimize" the model or cut down on polys. It is way too big.

Does Oxygen2 have some sort of poly reduction tool? Or what program do you guys use?

Edited by ThaGZAgenius

Yes, I ment how to select certain parts of model in MAX, not O2. Everytime I try, it selects the entire model and not specific parts. Although, I have managed to cut the size down enough to get it to appear in buldozer. I used smooth edges. (obvious step, but I am a little rusty.)

I would still like to know how to remove animations from .max models. :mad:

Now I am off to find a way to "optimize" the model or cut down on polys. It is way too big.

Does Oxygen2 have some sort of poly reduction tool? Or what program do you guys use?

Press '5' to get to element sub-object mode. Select the element you wish to detach. Go to the sidebar under 'geometry', select 'detach'. Name it something appropriate.

If the model is too heavy to import, then you will probably have to use proxies to display it all. This will get really complicated. Be sure and optimize it as much as possible to see if you can get it through O2 and Buldozer in one piece.

sorry for the late response. real life sucks. thank you for your help MaxPower. I did manage to get model in arma correctly, remove animations, make selections, and completely optimize the model (the max pro optimizer is amazing), all thanks to you. So thank you once again.

I always seem to get help on these forums, no matter what kind of dumb shit I am talking about. :D

Edited by ThaGZAgenius