Sign in to follow this  
ConnorJCP

Getting my son into ArmA 2

Hello,

My name is connor and i am looking to buy my son Arma 2 for his birthday (next week), and i was wondering if Arma 2 has any exetreme violent scenes in it?

He is only 15, but he plays other games and has a playstation. so is it alright for a 15 year old to play?

i also to play ofp a while ago with my group of friends , so is it any different to ofp? he is really interested in Modern history and Modern wars.

I am currently in the Australian Army so i dont get to see my son alot, so i thought it would be a nice gift. A few friends from down at the barracks and i have decided to buy him a computer to run this (the one we have now is horribly old). I ordered this desktop (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/desktops/alienware-area-51-alx/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-area-51-alx&s=dhs&cs=audhs1) a few weeks ago and was wondering if it would be able to run this game,(Im not good at computers and computer parts, so i bought the most expensive one).

Thank you in advance,

Connor

Wow, i guess many guys in here now wish that their dads would buy them PC's like that. :p

The game will run fine (Though he may need to disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS if he experiences any performance issues).

I wouldnt call the game extremely violent; yes you kill people, there is blood, explosions and the usual crap, but it isnt shown in a really shocking way.

Think of it this way. It's designed to simulate military combat. It's not as harsh as blowing people's limbs off, but it's everything from blowing up tanks, shooting down helos, sniping un-suspecting militants, etc.

About as violent as it gets is the acts of killing and the wounds on infantrymen, burned or bloodied faces and arms, chest, legs etc but that is as violent as it gets.

It doesn't glorify the bloodiness in any way. It just keeps it at a level that makes it realistic.

ITs not a bad game for 15 year olds to play connor, If he has a playstation then he is probably very acustomed to Grand theft Auto, In which you can do real violent things.

As people say arma is a simulation game, Although no limbs get blown off, The level of detail on a 'dead' person isnt the best, IMO the best thing about this game is actually the game play on a multiplayer scale, I play in a clan and if i didnt play with the clan, i probably wouldnt play arma.

On the pc you bought, IF you spent $5000 on it, Perhaps you should of asked here first about a pc before you blew a shit load of money, people could of pointed you to a pc half the price thats just as good if not better.

to get a good idea of the violence level, just check out some clan videos on youtube, should give you a good idea of how it is

Depends on your son. You should be the one to know him best, not some users on forum.

This game is not as violent as most popular games, and not even half as violent as other children at that age, but still is about killing people.

If I had son, I would allow him, and even encourage, but at the same time observe his reactions while, and after playing.

In other hands, I doubt he will find anything amusing in this game.

i also to play ofp a while ago with my group of friends , so is it any different to ofp? he is really interested in Modern history and Modern wars.

It's not that different from OFP, except it's more modern, and the engine has improved alot. If your son is interested in modern wars ArmA II will be perfect for him. A combination of books, (I have alot on that particular subject) the internet, and ArmA II can let your son recreate any conflict or battle from the last 60 years, if you use certain addons anyways. If he has played GTA then I can safely say that ArmA II will not come close to the things you are able to do on there.

*Almost forgot. There is (Or was last time i checked.) a group of guys who had spent alot of time making an Australia island for ArmA II, so eventually (I have no idea when, if ever) you & your son might be able to set up a nice little platoon/company size action in your neighborhood. :)

Ohhh another pc built by a big company that whacks crap loads of ££££ on top as they know there's people out there who cant/don't know how to build one them self.

So first you have been ripped off as that same PC could have been built for less by any one with the know how I know you don't but as said shame you did not come here first and I am upset on your behalf ;).

And the game is not gory really you cant blow limbs of or make guts spill eg soldiers of fortune etc.

So yes he should be fine.

Please take care of your self over there all the best.

Just remind him it is only a computer game, those civilians hung from trees are not real people.;)

You should be in the clear OP. Most console war games are soooooo much more violent. Console war games have skulls ripping open and holes in chest with some dismemberment and a million times more swearing. Arma is only a little more violent than Goldeneye 64(blood stains and a little spray). No chunking, no racial issues(you know how the military has to demonize an enemy), and hardly any sexual content. A BFBC2 match is more graphic than arma2. There are some f bombs but they don't rub it in your face.

It's definitely safe compared to the Hollywood style console shooters out now.

and If he is anything like me he will find it more fun flying helicopters.

And that is a pretty awsome pc. It should play anything no problem.

15 is not the age I would worry about a kid playing ArmA with all these 12 year olds playing CoD MW2 and GTA...

I started playing ArmA II at age 15, and I turned out fine.

That alienware case seems pretty extravagant. Motorized blades on top haha. Wonder if they are automatic when it gets too hot inside? :D Funny stuff.

Your son should get real happy getting that monster machine and ARMA2 (Operation Arrowhead as well i hope?).

I started playing ArmA II at age 15, and I turned out fine.

Started Arma2 at 15.....that makes you,what....16? Kind of hard to tell if you turned out fine! Still a few years to go,no?:386:

. It just keeps it at a level that makes it realistic.

And much less than realistic in terms of ordinance. Really, it is less gory than any shooting game I can think of. But it feels much more real despite that, and if you really get into a mission, it can scare you, or make you feel faintly guilt.

Unfortunately that feeling goes away if you use too many saves, come across glitches, or spend too much time on the Utes runway testing configs for modded weapons.

I am 15 and I play the game and I have never thought it was a very gruesome game.

Im 16 and I love ArmA :)

But, if he is your average 15 year old I would recomend getting him one of the more popular games like possibly Left 4 Dead, GTA, MW2, BFBC2. Generally younger people cant stand all the preperation and planning that can be a part of ArmA but on a rare occassion they can be as cool as me and like how much tougher this game can be. I love the " I dont know much about computers so I just bought the most expensive one" I wish I could have done that lol

If 12 year-olds play and enjoy MW2 (rated 18+) then I guess your 15yr old who is interested in modern history & wars will have a great time on arma2 :)

I started playing OFP when I was 8, back in 2001. I've pretty much grown up playing BIS' games. I too am very interested in history and 20th/21st century warfare. With that in mind, I'd say that if he wants something different than your generic shooter like Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2, etc., then he could not make a better choice than to choose Arma 2.

Hi ConnorJCPall

First off he is your son so you know best.

The package comes with a pegi 16+ certificate consider that carefully.

There are some narrative lines dealing with effects of war on civilians, such as:

• atrocity incidents including civilians being hung and ethnic cleansing,
  • women being driven to prostitution to survive,
  • several instances of torture and at least one of the aftermath of an assault on a female character,

the patch campaign deals with post apocalypse issues such as:

• constant fear,
  • loss,
  • hard decisions including moral ambiguities,
  • the sounds of war in this campaign can be quite harrowing,

IMHO these are good as they raise and lead you to consider moral and ethical questions involved in conflict.

I would suggest discussing the issues with your son as they arise to see how he understands the issues.

ArmA unlike many other FPS does not glorify war and discourages the player from thinking war is at all easy and just fun, it punishes you for acting like it is and that you are thus invincible, usually by killing your character; this is good.

If you are expecting war or ArmA to be a fun special effects adventure romp, well don't because they ain't, ArmA is best described as gritty realism. Think "The Last Patrol" episode of the "Band of Brothers" mini series and you will have idea of what it is like.

War is a serious matter ArmA tends to treat it that way.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

spending 5 grand on a computer to play a game? wtf!? buy him a car instead!

edit*

in 7 years I've bought two computers, upgraded everything on the second one last year, and still haven't spent 5 grand total ! :eek:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

That is beyond the point and not what he was asking about.

LOL whatever Nodunit!

my opinion, given respectfully, is either read or discarded. but it will surely remain.

he brought up the subject, even gave a link to the system, so it is fair game to comment on.