Sign in to follow this  
Mage

what the heck is this ace mod and how to get it?

I'm very confused.

I bought this game at the release date and paid quite some money for it, then due to my job and other things I've been unable to play for sometime.

Now I'm going to play and there's almost every server running this mod, so ok, how to get it? I've seen a ton of posts and things related to it yet there's nowhere a page understandable by EVERYONE and not just coders, forum regulars and such that goes like

Get the full mod [ click here ] and sends me to a download,

I've seen the devhaven page or whatever and it's super confusing for somebody who's just a regular person who wants to play the fricken game.

Can somebody aim me in the right direction on how do I get it?

I kind of want to play this game while I can before the wife sends me to do some stuff haha.

Later. And thanks again.

[Click me]

It is modular, so you don't automatically have to download large files if you just want the basic gameplay changes etc. I would recommend downloading just the Core first (and CBA which is required) and see if you like the gameplay, if you do, you can then download the additional packages.

Edited by JdB

You should probably explain to him that what you've linked to is the stable 1.0 release. Some servers will be running this and others will be running the weekly development builds (more recent but a bit more involved to keep up to date), I've no idea what proportion of servers run what.

go to this page:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files

Download SIX_Updater_Suite_v0.10.3_setup.exe.

Install the program

Click on the new shortcut on your desktop and the program will run, let it for a bit. It will open a new browser after a little while.

If it opens one and shows 'unable to connect', refresh the browser.

The first option is Preset. Select ACE Mod Vanilla

Then click the button Execute. It will then start downloading and installing the mod for you. Might take up to 30-45 minutes.

Once it is completed, it will say press enter to exit, or just start the game for you.

Close the game down and create a new Arma2 shortcut to your desktop from your main Arma2 folder.

Right click the new shortcut, go to properties, and paste this into Target:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe" -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM

(that's if you have Steam, change the target location to wherever your arma2.exe is)

the Multiplayer guide in my signature file should help you out a lot and also the zeus community manual (also in my signature file) will also explain how to set up Yoma's addon sync tool, which will make it much easier for you to grab and keep ACE mod updated

Terox is right, Yoma will make your life a lot easier when it comes to ACE. Also make sure to update ACE quite often (annoying, I know.) I wouldn't recommend Six-Updater for you Mage.

Edited by Norsu

Ace is, in one word, "Awesome".