Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VF Ladder Addon

The absence of the getposATL (Arma 2) is a showstopper in my mind; it's just no fun and would require a huge amount of workaround code again.

Secondly, whenever you find errors using addons from A2 in A1 - check the command reference whether commands are available in A1:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands

In the WHILE loop e.g. I used the "currentWeapon player" function. Checked in the reference - introduced in Arma2. You could use a workaround and use "primaryWeapon player" for Arma1. But if the player currently holds the secondary weapon and carries his primary weapon on his back then you end up with faulty positioning again. Also, try to replace getposASL by a simple getpos. Not that it solves it but ASL has no benefit here.

I did this in Arma 2 because finally it was possible to grab and handle objects easily w/o 50 lines of workaround code. Maybe you can get it to work somehow in A1 however...

VictorFarbau

I am not a scripter, I can some times take someone esles script and edit them a little and get lucky enough that it works using the search for work around codes lol. I hear what you're saying and thanks it was worth a shot in the dark anyway. I am slowly learning things here N there. I'll just keep plucking away at it now N then, probably never get it to work in arma1, and again thanks.

I'm sure this thread is just short of dead, but I can't help my OCD: You have the download links flipped! Armaholics leads to Armed Assault Info, and visa versa.

Haha, sorry, had to say it.

Can't wait to try this out though, there are indeed waaaay too many locked and in accessible buildings in this game...

I corrected the link labels in the 1st post, thanks for the tip. Yes this is still one of my favourite addons and I use it all the time. Good job Victor :p

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

if you want to see it in action, download our version of evolution (in my footer) and choose sniper class. he can place a long or short ladder anywherehe likes using Vic's fantastic script

This is an awesome mod and I use it all the time. Carrying ladders in Afgh and Iraq is very realistic as we did it all the time!

Hey Victor,

I was wondering if it were possible to implement a feature to the ladder, for example after the ladder was deployed

and you had climbed up it, would it be possible to make an alternate action other then climbing down you could instead also slide down to the bottem.

It would be similar to when you get the "drop down ladder action" at the bottem of a ladder sometimes, but instead

you slide to the bottem, this would make it quick to get down ladders, but of course make it an option, you can climb down by default,

or click the action in the action menu and slide down, and if you want to stop just hit your move forward button to stop which would cancel the action.

What do you think?

Hi Gunter, actually I think these are good ideas. In terms of technical feasibility I need to check what can be done. It probably requires some more customized player control and will depend on available player animations. But I wanted to work on this again anyway to catch the undefined state when the player uses "climb up" before the spawned ladder has been placed.

I won't commit on ETA or the like but I'll review the script for sure :)

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Sounds good,

you remember the other idea I mentioned last year about having the option to make the ladder into a plank, where once

on a roof and you want to go to another roof but you had to climb down and basically climb back up, you could spawn a

plank instead, and walk across it like a bridge to the other roof.

You could keep the same system for the small ladder, and the big ladder.

All the actions you have for the ladder could stay the same except when you switch to the plank option then

I guess the script would run pretty much the same except now the ladder is horizontal vs vertical.

Basically taking the ladder and turning it 90 degrees. If the ladder changed angle wouldn't the script still read

as if the ladder were vertical and the same functions for raise ladder, and lower ladder,

and deploy small ladder, and big ladder would still function?

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Sounds good,

you remember the other idea I mentioned last year about having the option to make the ladder into a plank, where once

on a roof and you want to go to another roof but you had to climb down and basically climb back up, you could spawn a

plank instead, and walk across it like a bridge to the other roof.

You could keep the same system for the small ladder, and the big ladder.

All the actions you have for the ladder could stay the same except when you switch to the plank option then

I guess the script would run pretty much the same except now the ladder is horizontal vs vertical.

Basically taking the ladder and turning it 90 degrees. If the ladder changed angle wouldn't the script still read

as if the ladder were vertical and the same functions for raise ladder, and lower ladder,

and deploy small ladder, and big ladder would still function?

Using the ladder's as a plank to move from building to building is something we also did so that would be another realistic option!!!

It would be cool. I know some people think that "spawning" a ladder isn't realistic but its fun and it really does make the game more enjoyable,

I mostly play againsted AI and build my own missions for sp and MP.

Being able to access the roofs and walk on them and go places normally you cannot go if its not already setup just really

opens up more options to you in the game, alot of other games are limited where you can only certain places, you cant climb stuff,

or walk here or there, or go to a roof.

I really like how the mod was setup to it stays active as long as you use it, and it dont clutter up your action menu either when you dont need it,

VF really thought this one, out, I hope he is able to add these couple of features.

Anyone remember in Rainbow 6 Ravenshield how when youd get down a ladder you could climb down or slide down,

thats where I got the idea from for the sliding.

Sliding down would help for getting out of a situation quick if the enemy were on to you ive had that happen where I was

pinned down on a roof from AI that surrounded me, having the option to go to another roof was there but not feasable at the time.

Using the ladders as a plank won't work as I see it. I guess that's an engine limitation. They simply won't spin around as required and the related positioning commands have no effect on them. Tested all sorts of functions like setVectorUp and what not with no success. That's probably a hardcoded limitation to ensure the built-in climb scripts remain functional.

Got to find a different plank object to achieve that. Haven't found a simple plank-like object yet... anyone did?

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Victor I looked at the objects ingame, and only one I can think of is the wooden bench, its already flat,

problem is it has legs, maybe take that as an example and create a object model without the legs.

Just an idea.

Can't be hard to model a plank :) doesn't even need LODs, it's already as simple a shape as it can be :)

I was thinking that maybe as a realism-workaround (if anyone should be concerned about it) that the functionality be associated with a vehicle rather than a unit, so that you get the action when you get close to your designated ladder-holding vehicle. Choose a ladder then you have to walk it to the building.

For the time being I certainly won't find the time to dig into modelling unfortunately. So if anybody volunteers to design some plank models (different lengths) I'll be happy to make them useable through this addon.

I am not too concerned about realism. After all this is not a super-blaster-kill'em-all cheat or something. As Arma has severe restrictions in terms of player agility in the 1st place this is more or less a compensational mod if you will :)

VictorFarbau

Hi VF,

Is there a way to cut down on the amount of addactions? Although useful they seem excessive.

Is it possible to layer the addaction (something like 'Ladders') and when that is clicked it gives the 'create big', 'create small' etc ?

I was thinking that for the plank idea that instead of having the addaction of the plank in the menu with the ladder

after clicking on VFLadder in the options menu, you could have a seperate button on the menu when you hit esc like you do when you start VFLadder.

It could say VFPlank, click the button and you have the plank option.

then like the ladder you could have these options:

-small plank

-big plank

-remove plank

-extend plank

-close plank? (whats another word for bring in plank, oppisite of extend, contract?) maybe close?

It is possible to make it script only. Have it working ingame as addaction without going to addon.

This way it is possible to give it to only certain players :)

I did this with VF's ladder in evolution krem so it's certainly possible. Snipers get the ladder in evolution.

Hey Victor were you able to look at the scripts and see if the slide down the ladder idea would work?

Dont think the other idea would come through til you have a new model to use so I guess wed have to wait til someone makes one.

For the time being I certainly won't find the time to dig into modelling unfortunately. So if anybody volunteers to design some plank models (different lengths) I'll be happy to make them useable through this addon.

Victor, I have made these models for you:

plank = a horizontal board about 3m long

plank2 = a horizontal ladder about 6m long

They are just P3D files right now. If someone can point me in the right direction on what is needed for an object's config.bin I'll upload them.

Hi hcpookie,

sorry, missed your first post. Good deal! I am not a config pro either but I guess a standard static object config should do the trick here...? Folks, do we find a capable volunteer to bring this simple object into the game?

Then I'll revise the code to have ladders and planks available in game.

VictorFarbau

BTW - what is the length of the plank at present?