Sign in to follow this  
Abdul-Fattah Abu Mahir

Error messages for no reason

Hi all,

I am not sure what it is, but OFP is acting quite strange since yesterday. When I add or remove an addon, one of these things happen:

- I can't start OFP, I get the message "DX 8 required" (while I have DirectX 9)

- I can't start OFP, I get the message that my video card couldn't go full screen or something like that (this didn't happen that much though)

- I can start OFP, but I have no sound.

And what I think of as quite strange, is: it's all a matter of coincidence really. Because, it goes like this:

I add an addon, OFP starts, but I don't have sound. So I remove an addon I don't really like, OFP doesn't start, "DX 8 required", I add another addon, same message, I add another addon, no sound, another addon, same message, another addon and OFP works.

This is just an example, it's not like it's always the same though, but it's a bit like this.

Frankly, I find it quite annoying. Since I just want to play OFP, but now when I add something or remove something I have to do like 15 minutes or more of hocus pocus with adding and removing addons in order to be able to start OFP with sound.

Could anybody tell me why I am having this problem and what I can do about it?

And there's another thing, but that doesn't really bother me: sometimes when I start OFP, the screen gets all, uhm, mixed up. It's like OFP is jumping up and down and what should be on the right is taking a jumpy walk to the left and vice versa (I wouldn't know another way to explain it =p). But fortunately, when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del to return to my desktop, and then I go back to OFP, it's all fine again. This last things has nothing to do with addons, it's just sometimes I have the problem and sometimes I don't.

I have an NVidia GeForce2 with 64MB memory graphics card, 512MB RAM, and a 1,7GHz CPU so my pc shouldn't be the problem.

I hope anyone of you can help me out. Thanks already.

@Abdul-Fattah Abu Mahir

I used to run into this a long time ago while playing with different addons. It's something to do with the way some older addons are configured I guess. I am going through this right now, as I am setting up some desert addons. I had no problems until I added some islands and the required addons. I am still sorting through this, but I think I narrowed down the jumbled screen to Mapfact's editor upgrade. One more thing is something causes my desktop background to chage to just a basic soild blue. Still trying to solve this.

The lack of sound is either due to a single addon or combination of addons. The thing to do is strip back addons to a group that works, then slowly add back in other addons until the problem arises again. This way you can find which one is causing the problem.

You can reset your direct-x by going to the start button and click the run icon and type dxdiag in the box and click ok.

Edited by Zulu1

@Zulu1

Thanks for your reply. I'll try that resetting of my DirectX if I get that problem again, but fortunately, after I made my first post, I added a few addons, and I was able to play OFP again - with sound.

But that lack of sound, I really wouldn't know how it could have anything to do with a particular addon or with a combination of them - since I had no sound, I added some addons (didn't delete any) and my sound came back.

Strange thing though ;)

Anyway, I am glad OFP works again =)