Sign in to follow this  
Pundaria

Indeed, an indoor fight could be excellent!

For so long, OFP and its legacy have been proven to be extremely great. But I always think that there could be some more improvements.

First, I want a good indoor fight. Even in ARMA 2, the indoor space is so "weird" that it is not good for an indoor fight.

Second, I want to pick anything up with my bare hand. I want to pick up things and help with my entrenchment.

Third, I wanna dig in! Make a trench for a lower chance of getting shot in my butt. I dunno if there are mods about dig in yet but it will always be more preferred for BI to do it officially.

Forth, shooting from the car! I dont think I will be shot all the way in a car without the intention in firing back.....::D

Lastly, could there be a cave or something that can be made on the landscape. Fighting inside a cave is really cool.....

I think the biggest issue with indoor fighting with ArmA is that there doesnt seem to be enough room, like the rifle keeps getting in the way, so either bigger doorways etc or a way for the rifle to be raised automatically when getting close to a wall

I remember one of halo 1's groundbreaking features was it's flawless transition from massive outdoor to complex indoor enviornments. It's a tough thing to do. I don't think the engine could handle you entering buildings and going up 40 flights of stairs like some buildings in GTA4. It would be amazing though.

I think the biggest issue with indoor fighting with ArmA is that there doesnt seem to be enough room, like the rifle keeps getting in the way, so either bigger doorways etc or a way for the rifle to be raised automatically when getting close to a wall

Indeed, indoor fighting is a joke at worst and annoying when you can move your gun because it can't fit through the door :rolleyes:

That's easily fixed for new units, but for the ArmA2 BIS units you would need the mlods.

The reason you get stuck in buildings is that the geometry lod of every soldier has a very rough shape and does not count length of weapons into consideration, e.g. a rifle will be as long as a MP5 for the geometry, it's not dynamic.

See this pic, it shows the standard arma2 geometry for Infantry:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/Clipboard02-27.jpg

The red marked part is the geometry for the weapon. It could be deleted, but then you would have rifles stuck through walls etc. . However, it's size could also be changed, to e.g. 50%. This way the margin for clipping would be reduced while the changed size would still give higher maneuverability.

what icewindo says is very revealing and interesting. mp5's and other weapons should get smaller 'space' as that'd make them a good useful choice if indoor is expected.

indoor would be awesome. slowing down the walk speed would help as arma2 characters move at unnaturally fast speeds.

so would a context menu that recognises that you are indoors.

but most important would be better interiors, and that's i think would be a sticking point, is the time needed to create proper indoors would be pretty huge.

I think there should be a better interior combat as there is just no change in behavoiur between outdoor and indoor.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Most of all.... I still want the ability to shoot out of a car and dig my butt in!

I think there should be a better interior combat as there is just no change in behavoiur between outdoor and indoor.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Most of all.... I still want the ability to shoot out of a car and dig my butt in!

You can script the dig thing in fairly easily. There is an object in the editor called trench or something like that. All you do is make it detect the direction you're facing and the position and create one of those objects at your position facing the correct direction. Done. There maybe a few complications if you're not on flat ground I suppose though.

That or seeing a guy running while aiming thru door/window, you draw a bead on him what appears cleary out of obtruction an bam nails the edge everytime. Very leary about shootin nades/rpg's/at4's out windows/doorways not a good thing either. Can only imagine that of a moving vehicle. Joint operations nailed it on the head with this MH6's,Pumas. Can only imagine 4 guys on a MH6 firing over an AO, it would definatly be a step in the right direction if we saw this ingame.

Edited by Call_911

Also the animation based movement aka body awareness makes indoor fighting a joke. You can't move precisely the way you want which is crucial in indoor fighting. Instead you have to tap movement keys to move very slowly which looks just plain wrong in game, this is even worse when equipped with a pistol.

I would love to see BIS ditching the current system and use more accurate system for movement. A floating camera with an immersion of body movement like in the light rpg Dark Messiah could work for starters. Add free look to that and you'll have a winner :cool:.