Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigan409

Converting Nogovo To Arma II

Don't forget

"Currently Active Users: 272 (98 members and 174 guests) "

While I can appreciate the struggle and effort in defining a reason for "no reply", I'm going to have to say that we are well beyond this point.

It's too late now, gears have been turned... programs have been installed... hair has nearly been pulled... loafs have been pinched... the project has BEGUN! *dunt* *dunnn* *dunnnnnnnnn*

Nogova's shape is fantasy, while some names have been lended from the Bohemia/CR.

I do know where you can get super-duper 30m DEM of the whole world, on ASTER:

http://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem-wist.asp

Furthermore, you will need the tool GLOBAL MAPPER to get it properly into Visitor 3. A tutorial for this can be found at the VBS2 online manual:

http://developer.vbs2.com/onlinehelp/Content/Terrain_Manual/TM_Introduction.htm

If you have further questions on doing it, just contact me. I've done this so often the last 4 months with different sizes of DEM, it's no problem at all.

Furthermore I can tell you how to get 100% matching satmaps in almost the highest Google quality...if you really want that, because I only find it useful on non-civilized spots.

Take care

Nogova's shape is fantasy, while some names have been lended from the Bohemia/CR.

I do know where you can get super-duper 30m DEM of the whole world, on ASTER:

http://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem-wist.asp

Furthermore, you will need the tool GLOBAL MAPPER to get it properly into Visitor 3. A tutorial for this can be found at the VBS2 online manual:

http://developer.vbs2.com/onlinehelp/Content/Terrain_Manual/TM_Introduction.htm

If you have further questions on doing it, just contact me. I've done this so often the last 4 months with different sizes of DEM, it's no problem at all.

Furthermore I can tell you how to get 100% matching satmaps in almost the highest Google quality...if you really want that, because I only find it useful on non-civilized spots.

Take care

I've spent some time digging around and looking at DEM file sites. I do already have some 30m DEM files for that. I'll most likely have questions for you. Thank you for the infos.

I did find some info on Nogova, I'm starting to think they patched some DEM files together and merged them with a fictional landscape. Odds are I'm going to need to leave this one for last, it's probly going to take some time and effort to get this one right.

Your tutorial post has been quite helpful, thank you for taking the time; I appreciate it.

EDIT:

Ok so I have a question. I'm going to have to modify these files to essentially cutt and paste the dem files so that I have all the islands in one map. What program do you guys do this with? Do you use v3 for that or can this be done inside another program with better results?

Edited by MadMardigan409

MadMardigan409: since we are so limited with "public" V3 I recommend you to stitch real data together in Global Mapper or some other program. Sure make sure you have 2-6 months of free time, you got yourself quite a big project going on there :)

MadMardigan409: since we are so limited with "public" V3 I recommend you to stitch real data together in Global Mapper or some other program. Sure make sure you have 2-6 months of free time, you got yourself quite a big project going on there :)

I'm in for the long haul. I've been wanting to make a map for quite some time. Spent several weeks just tinkering with fictional landscapes. The first time I ran around in some woods I had created, I was hooked. The only thing that was missing was the ticks lol.

This Global Mapper doesn't seem to be all that user friendly. I think I'll spend sometime wrapping my head around it.

So it is possible to manipulate the files within global mapper? I need to do the cutt-copy-paste shuffle with some software here. I have skills with the photo chopping but this program seems to be geared quite differently.

EDIT:

I now have some beautiful DEM files of Malden, Kolgajev and Everon. If someone could be so kind as to point me in the direction of how to go about cutting/pasting these files into one file I would be ever so grateful. what what, here here.

Edited by MadMardigan409

I found GM often almost deliberately obscure...

You can stitch DEMs easily in ARCgis, or ER Mapper, but they're both heavyweight GIS progs - heavily geared towards RL data... you'd probably have to fudge coordinates to persuade the program into thinking the seperate islands are in the relative positions you want...

L3DT has a "merge DEMs" facility, I think - though I haven't tried it...you can apply for a 90day demo of the full prog from Aaron the author, who's a real helpful chap - though I predict you'll buy a copy shortly after trying the prog anyway - it's just too handy for all sorts of things not to have...

If your DEMs are 16bit greyscales you could simply merge them in an Art package that handles 16bit greyscales properly (NOT photoshop)...

Make 20480x20480 16bit greyscale canvas filled with solid black

Add individual DEMs as layers - shuffle and arrange to suit

Merge down layers

A bit of blending on the borders maybe

Export to L3DT and play with the heightfield tools

... L3DT DOES handle 16bit greyscale .png's properly - so from there you're sorted for output to Visitor...

If your DEMs are in .asc, .geotiff or .xyz or some other format, then either you convert to 16bit greyscale first, or you're stuck with doing the merging in a GIS prog...

Have a search for "MicroDEM" - its a full-featured and FREE GIS prog that has a good range of facilities... or ... time to struggle with Global Mapper ;)

B

I found GM often almost deliberately obscure...

You can stitch DEMs easily in ARCgis, or ER Mapper, but they're both heavyweight GIS progs - heavily geared towards RL data... you'd probably have to fudge coordinates to persuade the program into thinking the seperate islands are in the relative positions you want...

L3DT has a "merge DEMs" facility, I think - though I haven't tried it...you can apply for a 90day demo of the full prog from Aaron the author, who's a real helpful chap - though I predict you'll buy a copy shortly after trying the prog anyway - it's just too handy for all sorts of things not to have...

If your DEMs are 16bit greyscales you could simply merge them in an Art package that handles 16bit greyscales properly (NOT photoshop)...

Make 20480x20480 16bit greyscale canvas filled with solid black

Add individual DEMs as layers - shuffle and arrange to suit

Merge down layers

A bit of blending on the borders maybe

Export to L3DT and play with the heightfield tools

... L3DT DOES handle 16bit greyscale .png's properly - so from there you're sorted for output to Visitor...

If your DEMs are in .asc, .geotiff or .xyz or some other format, then either you convert to 16bit greyscale first, or you're stuck with doing the merging in a GIS prog...

Have a search for "MicroDEM" - its a full-featured and FREE GIS prog that has a good range of facilities... or ... time to struggle with Global Mapper ;)

B

Well the DEM files I've got are 30m .tiff files. They seem to be one hell of a pain in the ass. I have Photoshop unfortunately and I've spent the morning downloading a crap-ton of software.

-Wilbur

-3Dem

-Global Mapper

-MicroDEM

-Terrigen 2

-L3DT

I've googled till my coffee pot ran empty on anything that would guide me through a process for editing these. I've found very little so far in that department.

I did try and manipulate the "levels" so I could mess with the .tiff files. It seemed too much like a dead end in CS4 Photoshop.

These DEM files I've got come with 2 files each. One is .DEM the other is a .NUM file. But if I try to load the .DEM along with the .NUM in the same folder, all i see is nearly flat with very little terrain elevation. So I pulled out the .NUM and it looks ok.

What is your suggestion in terms of DEM file format? I'm not really looking to spend money on them, would like to just get some freebees etc.

Not sure about photoshop CS4 handling of 16bit greyscales - maybe its improved...

DEM's are a pain in the ass - it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid...

You should be able to load them one at a time into, say - MicroDEM - make sure they look OK and save them out one at a time in something like 16bit greyscale .BMP format or something...

Once you have them they're basically just picture files - I think "The Gimp" (Free download) handles 16bit correctly - you could use that to do the layer and merge - then output the final heightfield - again staying strictly with the 16bit greyscale format.

Then - load into the trial version of L3DT Pro and you should be good to go from there... L3DT has a good range of heightfield editing tools - global erosion and smooth, plus brush-based realtime 3D terrain tweaking - all you need to do the final tidy and edit...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I really liked the Ruins up by the mountain and out by the airport in the desert too. This will be great if it gets fully finished. I wish I had the skill to finish Everon its so close to being done.

Best of Luck,

Nightrain

I'm not going to give up on this, it's starting to get good lol. I'm going to make sure and put in the memorable landscapes but I'm using a more detailed and realistic version. Hopefully this will look much better and have more of a realistic feel to it.

Bushlurker, you rock man, I'm tinkering witht he .bmp files now. I imported a test into wilbur just to see if it would xfer and it did. It seems as though CS4 Photoshop handles it quite well but I suppose I should wait for end results before making any statements on it.

Soon as I can export this into visitor I'll post up how I did this. It has been one hell of a pain in the arse to deal with but it was right in front of my face the whole time.

Anyone else reading this, don't be shy about any other ways of modifying, if there is an easier or better way plz fire away.

:D

It has been one hell of a pain in the arse to deal with but it was right in front of my face the whole time.

Welcome to Island-making...you'll find youself saying this quite a lot...

B

*edit* - see HERE and HERE for why staying strictly with 16bit format at all stages is important... with 8bit the range is a clumsy 0-255, ditto with 24bit, which is just RGB with 8bit each...

Edited by Bushlurker

Welcome to Island-making...you'll find youself saying this quite a lot...

B

*edit* - see HERE and HERE for why staying strictly with 16bit format at all stages is important... with 8bit the range is a clumsy 0-255, ditto with 24bit, which is just RGB with 8bit each...

Yeah I ended up exporting through GM to a grey scale .png file for each island. Then opened with CS4, snagged each island and put into a 2048 sized file [16 bit greyscale], loaded the old hightmap and used it to resize each island to match the original size. I played with the lighting values a bit and saved it as a .png. Opened it with wilbur, filled basens/guassian blur etc etc then opened with visitor. (bare with me guys, after this project is done I'll most likely have a routine down and make a tutorial)

It really looks like I'm going to have to up the size of the islands but I'm currently PBO'ing it just to take a look see ingame. It's coming along ... now if someone would mod me a little dance jig for my unit :P

EDIT:

I just spent 30 min running around, I'm damn surprised at how well it turned out lol. I think you guys will be happy with this project. From the real world DEM files I got all of the old stuff with slightly changed elevation details and some new islands to add to it. Just need to adjust some sizes and maybe some erosion here and there.

Edited by MadMardigan409

screenshots when you make progress?

I'll get some comparison picks up soon, I gotta do some tinkering here.

EDIT:

Here's a few, not much to look at right now but it's something :)

wilburwip1.th.jpg

-Missing Novoga and some other small islands.

editorc.th.jpg

-Notice the little island added south east of Everon, that ones on sat photos. You can view it on google earth or whatever prog you want.

lariviere.th.jpg

-Some of you may remember that little town in Malden called La Riviere

Edited by MadMardigan409

maldenairfield.th.jpg

-North Eastern airfield on malden, not far from that town thats snug in the mountains

morton.th.jpg

-Everon's Morton

stp.th.jpg

-ST. Pierre's currently under water and those mountains have to be tamed down a bit.

You can see in some of the photo's that the elevation is alittle high right now but I'll get it to something more recognizable soon. All these are WIP's so don't freak out lol. I'll probly end up making a beta version then completely redoing the whole thing from refined templates. All in all it feels like good old OFP with one hell of a nice upgrade.

I wish you luck in the project, its ambitious :)

Its all about how much time do you want to dedicate, after all Everon cove could look closer to the reallife photo:

baska.jpg

;)

I wish you luck in the project, its ambitious :)

Its all about how much time do you want to dedicate, after all Everon cove could look closer to the reallife photo:

baska.jpg

;)

thank you sir, even having a few hair pulling moments, I'm really enjoying this. I would love to have the real world scale of these islands but I think they would lag too much. They are much larger then OFP originally had. Thats a very cool pic, thanks for sharing it.

One of the things I want to maintain is the original segmented areas. ST. P was one of the most memorable, for me at least. Who could forget that castle up there lol. So what I'll be doing is making some compromise's and merging the fictional parts with the real world counterparts.

I'm going to finish the terrain elevation for these three then dive into recreating a more realistic Nogova. As to how I'm going to go about this I just don't know yet, but I think using some 3D creation software instead of splicing DEM's is how I'll get'r done.

Odly enough, everyone seems to want to play the original Everon or Nogova maps but I honestly am finding Malden to be pretty damn sweet. The elevation makes for some very characteristic areas. Anyone remember that CTF map called Canyon Clash lol... or what about that single player sniper mission on kolgujev. Ah the good ol days, back when you had to walk to school in the snow, both ways uphill...

Edited by MadMardigan409

So I've decided to up the island size, the final map size is 4096x4096 and each island is 1.6x larger then it originally was in OFP. I did this because the 30m DEM files have quite a bit of elevation data for such a small area. It looks more natural this way.

I spent nearly an hour flying around in an Osprey checking out the terrain. Lots of land feature characteristics in there not to mention one hell of a good platform for any nautical mods. Some new islands to mix it up a bit as well but nothing fictional as of yet.

Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to recreate a more realistic Novoga. I'm hitting dead ends here. What I have is the original OFP noe.wrp, I've been trying to use it as a template to remake the island. I've put some strain on the google search engine trying to find the best route for some sort of molding process.

I've still got the trial vers of L3DT, I've not really wrapped my head around that one yet so I can't really tell if it's worth buying.

Could use some thoughts/ideas on this one guys, anything would be appreciated here.

EDIT:

Ok well, I suppose I'll have to mashup some DEM files and try to create this, not an impossible task but something I really wasn't psyched about doing. I suppose this could be a good tutorial topic if/when I finish novoga. I foresee a long tedious process of photo chopping to hell and back...

Edited by MadMardigan409

This is what Arma2 really does need large maps were control of the seas, and air transportation is a needed. I think of some outstanding missions ahead!

This is what Arma2 really does need large maps were control of the seas, and air transportation is a needed. I think of some outstanding missions ahead!

I think you'll enjoy this. It's my hopes that someone will create a CTI vers for this with maybe destroyers/cruisers/subs/some form of vehicle transport ship. I'm not exactly sure if a destroyer could actually be accommodated but the average distance from each island currently is 10-15 kilometers. Beach landings would be pretty neat lol.

Each island has at least one airport, I don't recall off hand if kolgujev does but if not I'll create a new island off the coast for it.

I'm still having a hell of a time recreating novoga but I feel as though it's a must. It's one of the more memorable landscapes from OFP. The site I've downloaded DEM files is down for a week (server maintenance). I might have to get some DEMs off the us coast or something to create it.

as ia said before i will convert my cti mission on this map if its done!

included airtransport (2 kinds) ,transport wih ships ,Transport duty with AI also ,Choppers and Jets and all the stuf wich is needed for a cti.

Also you can make a Warfare from Benny on this map or make coops with jobs on every island to do.

But there arent much ships in A2 wich are good enough or realy finished.

Anyway there is no problem to get troups to places you want.

I think it's great what you're doing, I would offer to help with it but I really no nothing about ArmA II editing, apart from how to make mod folders haha, keep it up. I look forward to spilling blood on these lands once again.

@Muecke

I'm not going to stop till this is finished. I've already hit some crazy ass walls in terms of editing this and still keeping at it. I've got quite a bit of spare time on my hands currently so I spending allot of time on this, like it's my job haha. Glad to see your planning a CTI for it.

@Monk

At some point here I'll upload a late alpha. If you're interested you could download it just to check it out and give some feedback. I want to make this for the community so it would be good to hear opinions/thoughts on how it's coming along.

Good news on the Novoga front, I've downloaded several 30m DEMs from the areas I believe Novoga was based off of. The terrain is not exactly the same but it's very much recognizable. After a day or so of molding this I'm sure I can get a very good version made.

Hopefully by the end of this week I can start in on the SAT ico and then begin placing road networks/bridges etc. It's a slow but steady process.