Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigan409

Converting Nogovo To Arma II

Well done on your work so far, its looks really professional. Having not played OFP, I have never seen any of the islands before except Stg.Ace's Everon and I am looking forward to exploring them in your map. Keep up the inspiring work!

Well done on your work so far, its looks really professional. Having not played OFP, I have never seen any of the islands before except Stg.Ace's Everon and I am looking forward to exploring them in your map. Keep up the inspiring work!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm working damn hard at trying to create some more terrain detail here. I think you'll enjoy this when it's done.

the OFP maps are classic's and they feature a wide range of terrain. I think the people who remember OFP will recognize these islands but I want to make sure that it also appeals to people like yourself who haven't really experienced the old ofp atmosphere.

I was showing a friend the map and we were flying around, he didn't realize how large the mountain ranges were until we landed lol. The eye candy got him killed and it's not even begun to take shape haha.

I uploaded the map. It's currently refined but still needs some tweaking here and there. There are no objects placed, this is just desert islands. Feel free to comment with questions or concerns.

thanks icebreakr.

After I uploaded that I noticed the area on novoga where the bridge is suppose to be needs to be tweaked, and I might need to finagle that mountain range down to a better altitude.

Also, the water level isn't deep enough out at sea. I gotta get back in photoshop and rework the levels so it's deeper. I think it will also pull down all the mid level elevation when I do this although I'm not certain. Not that it's a bad thing, would give more detail at the mid level and I think it needs it.

Ah well, back to work!

Ok well, I've completely rebuilt novoga and re-sized the height field some. I created the ocean to be much deeper encase someone wanted to make a submersible submarine mod... *caugh* saw your sub mod nat *caugh*...

I guess you could call this build 1.1 but there are some noticeable issues with it. I'm going to refine it a couple more times then upload for some peeps to test, I'll post a link here too if any of you are interested.

One of the things that I've noticed is that when I made the 1.0 vers, my "ca" configs were not linked correctly and I got some errors in the output txt file when I PBO'd. The map ran with ZERO lag, but now that I've linked all the Arma II addons correctly, there is some lag. I only notice it when I place 20+ tanks and infantry. I've also noticed that the processing time of PBOing it has increased from like 5 min to roughly 30 min, is that normal? Here is the output file from PBOing it:

Found p:\madm\bohemia_l\data\Layers\textures.lst, inserting textures not linked by .p3d-s...
Convert world p:\madm\bohemia_l\bohemia_l.wrp -> P:\BIN_TEMP\madm\bohemia_l\bohemia_l.wrp
Updating base class ->DefaultWorld, by p:\madm\ca\chernarus\ca\chernarus\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/CAWorld/
Updating base class ->NonStrategic, by p:\madm\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/HouseBase/
Updating base class ->HouseBase, by p:\madm\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/Ruins/
Updating base class ->DestructionEffects, by p:\madm\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/House/DestructionEffects/
Updating base class ->StaticMGWeapon, by p:\madm\ca\misc3\ca\misc3\WF\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/WarfareBMGNest_M240_base/
Updating base class ->Grid, by p:\madm\ca\utes\config.cpp/CfgWorlds/utes/Grid/
<world = "p:\madm\bohemia_l\bohemia_l.wrp">
</world>
W:\c\Poseidon\El\FileServer\fileServer.cpp(2287) : Assertion failed '_workerThread.Size() == _nRequestsLoading'

Oddly enough I have placed NO OBJECTS, so I don't really understand why it would go through all this fuss. I did notice the effects of the bullets/missiles/explosions now look normal though.

Now I've only glanced at cherno's config, it's obvious that there are allot more entries in that then in my config. I'm wondering do you guys use chern's or ute's config to adjust your own map's config file?

I applaud your initiative, because this is one hell of a project. I would love to see an A2-OFPworld. :thumbs-up:

Do you plan on creating the same basic town placement and road networks?

-------

I just tested out your alpha0.3 and while the island shapes and certain terrain features seem close, most of the terrain is completely different, but I know it's early WIP.

I see you want to start from scratch, but I'm sure you can get the height map data from the OFPworld already created (FYI, The-f and Kju made the OFPworld from ported data using the old OFP files, objects, and vegetation.), since I know they would like to see modern A2 versions of the old OFP islands. If you want me to get you in contact with them, just let me know.

-------

While seeing these islands in a completely different way does kind of intrigue me, I think it might be a better idea to use the old height data (it's low resolution, so you just have to enlarge the height image and smooth it out a bit to not get the blocky terrain like in OFP) and tweak/modify the height map from there. So, my suggestion would be to use the OFPworld data that is already available and swap out all OFP objects with A2 objects. Then make a proper A2 Sat&Mask and modify/tweak anything you would like to see differently. This would method would save you a TON of time.

I applaud your initiative, because this is one hell of a project. I would love to see an A2-OFPworld. :thumbs-up:

Do you plan on creating the same basic town placement and road networks?

-------

I just tested out your alpha0.3 and while the island shapes and certain terrain features seem close, most of the terrain is completely different, but I know it's early WIP.

I see you want to start from scratch, but I'm sure you can get the height map data from the OFPworld already created (FYI, The-f and Kju made the OFPworld from ported data using the old OFP files, objects, and vegetation.), since I know they would like to see modern A2 versions of the old OFP islands. If you want me to get you in contact with them, just let me know.

-------

While seeing these islands in a completely different way does kind of intrigue me, I think it might be a better idea to use the old height data (it's low resolution, so you just have to enlarge the height image and smooth it out a bit to not get the blocky terrain like in OFP) and tweak/modify the height map from there. So, my suggestion would be to use the OFPworld data that is already available and swap out all OFP objects with A2 objects. Then make a proper A2 Sat&Mask and modify/tweak anything you would like to see differently. This would method would save you a TON of time.

I am going to recreate all the original towns and road networks. It really should fit well into the maps. I might have to smooth out some shiz here and there but other then that I thought the maps looked pretty good.

Some things you have to keep in mind is that there are no objects for visual reference, which I even had a hard time with. I've spent quite a bit of time in ofp lately to really figure out what made most of the areas and gave them character. One of the things I noticed is that the view distance it's self creates isolated sections. I can only set the view distance in OFP to 1k but I keep my view distance in Arma II @ double and sometimes tripple that amount. Something that small really makes a difference in the feel of these maps. I flew over novoga in a heli (OFP) in very little time, but in this recreated version it took quite some time.

I'm going to continue focusing on merging these real world DEM files with the old OFP maps but I just might stop and port over OFP world instead. I'm concerned about several variables here, one thing I want to have is a map that won't lagg to hell and back in the middle of a 4 hour CTI. I think some lagg is acceptable but idk yet. The size of these islands has more playing space then cherno and at least the same if not more land mass from what I can tell by eye balling it.

From eyeballing some of the towns and featured areas in the OFP counterparts I can tell that BIS did use DEM files to create them. I think they adjusted the width and elevation detail and that's why some of this seems unrecognizable. They also pushed the water level up on some of the islands like malden and kolgujev.

In terms of time, novoga has taken 4 days to get adjusted to this level. Could be that I don't have all that much experience with island making but man, it's a pain in the ass to try and adjust existing elevation data other then DEM files.

I appreciate the feedback, it's important to me to hear what you guys are thinking on this. The goal I'm after here is to maintain most of the ofp feel but add in the real world data. Unless I can find some issues with these I'm going to at least see where this is heading before trashing it and doing a port with OFP world(obviously would need permission etc).

Am downloading now.

Having spent nearly ten years wandering around these islands and still having their coordinates locked into my brain i look foward to offering any feedback. :D

Am downloading now.

Having spent nearly ten years wandering around these islands and still having their coordinates locked into my brain i look foward to offering any feedback. :D

Would love to hear it :)

I haven't put in the huge crevice on malden, the one used for "canyon clash" but I'm thinking I should. It gives that town vergin or what ever it's called some character.

Will check it tonight, i'll get back to you in the next few days.

fantastic poroject. best initiative from my point of view. hope you will finish it

Oh ohoojhhhoooh...

Hang on...I need to download first..

Be right back..

LOL

OH my....

PLEASE finish this one..Just what the doctors order...

Looking awsome so far..

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]

;1619433']Oh ohoojhhhoooh...

Hang on...I need to download first..

Be right back..

LOL

OH my....

PLEASE finish this one..Just what the doctors order...

Looking awsome so far..

This made me lol,

Thanks for checking it out guys, I'll keep on messing with it. ETA on a beta probably around 1 month from now if not sooner.

From what I hear it's not possible to get the ai to use the bridge's properly but I'm going to do some tinkering and see if I can't come up with some sort of shiz to finagle the lemmings across.

is it possible to say what the beta will include? (roads, objects, trees,..)?

That looks very nice so far !!!

Ive tested mostly all released islands for them bridges.

Best result is on Celle island.AI uses bridges like roads,means they walk by side of it.

keep up the work cause you doin well

:cool:

@Luemmel

Beta will include everything, all roads/buildings/bush's/trees/rocks/high res sat-mask lco's. I do spend around 1-2 hours running around the map with ai and shiz, but I'll need to have other peeps check it out too for odds and ends. Make sure there isn't any strange behavior from the AI pathfinding or stuff along those lines. Also to make adjustments for CPU strain/visual stuff etc. It's just such a huge map, I could spend 4 hours testing one island alone lol.

@Muecke

I've heard some peeps say that AI won't use bridges to cross in vehicles but I don't know. That's one of the things I want to try and work out. Thought of maybe placing a road network right across/on top of the bridge to see if it would help or maybe creating some sort of module to script them to do so. I'll spend some time with it when I get there. Thanks for the complement!

Sorry for my curiosity, but how is it possible to place so many objects only within one month by yourself? do you have any community support or developed a tool for automatism? will the used objects imported from the original OFP or will you use some arma stuff? my real question is, will your project be similar to ACEIP or more to CWR?

questions over questions but i am waiting so long for such a project and i am getting more and more nervous...

(do you have allready a wip screen with objects) :rolleyes:

Holy hell! This thing looks amazing. I flew a Venom across a couple of the islands last night. I also made the mistake of starting in the bottom left corner. This map is just screaming for the Shark addon. lol.

I love it. I spent some time flying through valleys, around mountains, and going "feet wet" and "feet dry" from island to island. Brings back some memories. I can't wait for this one!

Sorry for my curiosity, but how is it possible to place so many objects only within one month by yourself? do you have any community support or developed a tool for automatism? will the used objects imported from the original OFP or will you use some arma stuff? my real question is, will your project be similar to ACEIP or more to CWR?

questions over questions but i am waiting so long for such a project and i am getting more and more nervous...

(do you have allready a wip screen with objects) :rolleyes:

1. It will be done, the ETA is exactly what it means (estimated time of arrival). When I say BETA, that too means exactly what it is. A beta is a nearly finished product ready for mass testing, it is not intended to be the end product.

2. I do have several groups of guys currently testing these builds as I make them, I'm using the same resources that everyone else has access to aside from some high end editing software (not affiliated with VBS2; think in terms of CS4 etc).

3. I'm not porting over anything from the maps, they will not mesh without some major finagling and I just don't want to go that route.

4. I don't know what ACEIP or CWR is, this map is intended for vanilla Arma II.

5. The little snide comment with the rolling eyes is cute. I get the feeling you're poorly attempting to make a comment, the questions seem a lame attempt at hiding it. If that's your intent, have some balls man, come out and say what you mean. If it wasn't, then do me a favor and think about what you're typing before you hit the submit button.

I'm going to take a second here real quick and explain some things.

This project could very well take more time then estimated. I'm going to push it along as fast as possible without sacrificing the quality. I cannot promise that it will not take a crappy turn somewhere, all I can promise is that I will give it the attention it requires.

Although, I do feel it's important to give a nod to the guys who came before and made some of this possible, I don't care about any modding community social status's. I don't care about internet anonymity personified ego's either. I want another map to play CTI on and this sounded like a good idea.

This thread was made for one purpose and that is to gather info I need to create this map from anyone willing to pitch in and give a hand, for those that have helped, I am grateful.

Holy hell! This thing looks amazing. I flew a Venom across a couple of the islands last night. I also made the mistake of starting in the bottom left corner. This map is just screaming for the Shark addon. lol.

I love it. I spent some time flying through valleys, around mountains, and going "feet wet" and "feet dry" from island to island. Brings back some memories. I can't wait for this one!

Glad to hear you like it man, I'm hoping there will be some sort of nautical mod availible by the time this is done lol.

The little snide comment with the rolling eyes is cute. I get the feeling you're poorly attempting to make a comment, the questions seem a lame attempt at hiding it. If that's your intent, have some balls man, come out and say what you mean. If it wasn't, then do me a favor and think about what you're typing before you hit the submit button.

calm down, this was only just a try to get more of your work because i am a little bit impatient. this was not a so called hidden message ;)

but i am wondering that you are not be informed about the mentioned projects OFPIP (ACEIP) and CWR. I think its clear what i mean with the different approaches. (OFP imported objects or creating the objects completley from scratch or a combination of all (import OFP buildings; streets, vegetation and other objects from A2.

with your WIP screens I would like to see what kind of approach do you prefer. thats all. I understand that we have to wait approx 1 month to get more of your work. thats fine for me.

calm down, this was only just a try to get more of your work because i am a little bit impatient. this was not a so called hidden message ;)

but i am wondering that you are not be informed about the mentioned projects OFPIP (ACEIP) and CWR. I think its clear what i mean with the different approaches. (OFP imported objects or creating the objects completley from scratch or a combination of all (import OFP buildings; streets, vegetation and other objects from A2.

with your WIP screens I would like to see what kind of approach do you prefer. thats all. I understand that we have to wait approx 1 month to get more of your work. thats fine for me.

Oh boy, apologies, was in a bad mood and misread that post. Wasn't cool of me to snap and quite uncalled for, sorry for that.

As far as the other projects, I honestly didn't know they were being made. I'll see if this is worth continuing here. If there's enough of a difference, I'll continue this project.

As far as my approach to creating the islands, I wanted to make this a single download type of thing. So IE no extra addons required sort of deal. I have been eyeballing the summer vegetation though so I might go with their vegetation for malden and novoga.

My thought on the time span is that these are existing areas, and because they're a little different in the sense that they're made from the real world counter part DEM files, I figured it would be much easier to eyeball locations and just create them from scratch. It wasn't my intention to make an exact port in terms of city layout, just something very close and similar to it.

The whole 12 years since ofp thing gave me the idea that there's some room for new and or adjusted areas but to focus on following the same town names and roughly estimated locations. Now that the maps are larger there's room for bigger towns with some random farms/gas stations along the way.

Truth be told, this could take me a month for one island but I'm also impatient, I just want to play CTI on a different map. I'm also concerned about fps issues if I go overboard with the objects so I'll have to do some fine tuning for that.

Quite a bit of the beta version is likely to be changed for any of these given reasons. Just to speed up the process I'm not spending alot of time yet on sat/mask .png's. I'm just going to get a fairly decent beta working well before I go into refining some things.

I figured...

-sat/mask (low quality) 2-3 days

-roads (all islands) 1 week

-buildings (all islands) 1 week

-vegetation (all islands) 1 week

-1st refinement process 3-4 days

I'll most likely upload versions at each step for my buds to check and test. I'll drop a link for them here too if anyone is curious or just wants to see how it's coming.

EDIT:

Ok, looks like all those were made for arma 1, so unless there's another conversion or project running I'll continue this.

Edited by MadMardigan409

Well OFP:IP is for ArmA 2, ACE:IP was for ArmA 1, and in both cases you have to download atleast 2 gigs, more like 4 gigs for OFP:IP.

I have an idea for a project name. "OFP Evolved" could be good because while the landmass will stay generally the same (If i read that right) the towns and general landscape won't be, but they will look like they used to be, or could be, the old OFP towns we knew, but they have expanded in the last decade or so.

Did I get the last bit right?