Sign in to follow this  
askingmachine

Some tips to set your island's parameters?

Hi everybody!

I'm learning to make my own arma 2 island with visitor and now I have couple of questions:

What do you suggest me to add island's satellite calculator's values if my island is size of 128x128 and my satellite/mask .pngs are 1280x1280?

I've already tried a different combinations but always had some bugs with my settings, so now I'm asking you, how should these values need to be filled?

Also, what Base(active) texture size you are suggesting me to use?

I would appreciate any help I can get! I wan't to make everything right from the beginning.

Edited by askingmachine

Not sure how you got "24" under "satellite grid"... I tried the same settings and was automatically given "48"...

visSettings.png

There's been some debate about the " Base(active) texture size " with people reporting issues with smaller sizes... 40x40m seems to be accepted as generally being hassle free...

(came dangerously close to using the words "Visitor 3" and "hassle-free" in the same sentence there! ;))

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I tried settings you suggested, but I got another strange problem:

Any idea what causes this?

I draw white line to show you how big the area is at least:

(images missing)

I'm not sure is there same kind of problem in the west and north side of the terrain, as I can't see it from the bottom of the ocean.

Edited by askingmachine

After many many hours of fighting, I still can't get rid of that border problem... oh my nerves :p

I tried making new sat img and new terrain file, but with no luck. I tried different methods to do them, but still, I got the problem.

The only solution which I can find is to reduce the texture size from 40m x 40m to something else, but that causes some kind of artifacts in distance, when using very low settings.

Hmmm...

I've seen this issue reported somewhere here before as well...

(yeah - the "artifacting at distance" is a known issue with texture size under 40x40... which is why everybody recommends 40x40)...

The "sea floor colour on land close to map border" has been reported too, tho I can't find the thread right now... I think the solution posted was simply to move the land further away from the edge of the map... from the looks of your pic, if you shaved a little empty space off the top of your heightfield and added it on the bottom you should be able to push your southernmost peninsula far enough north to get it out of that "zone"... it might not fix the issue, but since it's happening underwater then - who cares... at least you can ignore it and get on with your island...

B

Hm..

not shure but maybe you have used an uncommon terraingrid. I think most islands use 1024, 2048 or 4096. Maybe you try and resize your sat, mask and heightmap data and try again... maybe that helped

True...

128x128 IS pretty small nowadays (what size is Thirsk, anyone?? 512??? - quite small anyway... a "quarter duala"?)...

I suspect that - the smaller the island size the larger in proportion this "dodgy border area" becomes...

Not that I'm telling you to make your island bigger! - God no... but it's (relatively) small size might be a factor...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I don't know if this is the solution or not - I am just thinking out loud - but try using satmap/maskmaps that have 2^n dimensions. i.e. downsize your 1280x1280 textures to 1024x1024, or upsize them to 2048x2048.

hhhmm.. is your terrain.png dimensions 128x128? just a quick guess. hope you can figure it out man

I think homer is right with the 2^n resolution setting. It was discussed some time ago somewhere. So better use 1024 or 2048 for your height and sat,mask in 10240 or 20480.

If you don´t want to resize your island, just put the small image in a big one... it is only water anyway.

Increase the area around the island. Known bug that floor gets wrecked. Thats why Chernarus borders sea on 2 sides too ;)

Increase the area around the island. Known bug that floor gets wrecked. Thats why Chernarus borders sea on 2 sides too ;)

Oh! never thought that... Ok so it's simply a bug which isn't caused because of 'wrong settings'. That helps me a lot.

It's damn good that we noticed this in the test island before I start to build the original big island.

Thank you for your help.

IceBreakr, are you sure? I know that this can happen. We can see it e.g. on a beautiful terrain Celle. I've got the same bug on one of my maps but on some other map tests there's no such bug. It seems it happens sometimes and other times not. I can't identify the factor that causes it. Anyone has some thoughts or experiences?

Its a well known limitation of the engine. Try creating a flat island and you'll see that the border is bugged.