oktane

oktNoBlur - Signed Blur Remover Addon

Seriously, with PP set to Low and this mod, the blur is pretty much inexistant whereas the game looks SO much better and there's almost no hit on performance.

Try this combination and see for yourself!

Oktane,

An enormous THANK YOU for working on this badly needed post processing option for ArmA 2.

For the better part of a week, I've been struggling with very low framerates - something that is inexcusable for a computer system that's just one year old.

After I installed your mod, I did as instructed in lowering one's Post Processing settings through ArmA'2 GUI to "Low," and the results were pretty terrific.

THANK YOU again. BI should hire you for your valuable service.

Yours!

Kyle

June 25, 2012

Anyone willing to make a mod that removes the blur filters entirely, but still leave the most advanced portions of post processing on? The blur/DoF are the two reasons I leave PP effects disabled.

That's nice dear. Please use your voice to petition BIS, not mod makers about blur options. Normally, yes, you could encourage the community to fix this or that, make this or that addon that is missing/wrong in the game, all because the devs support modding and have built tools to make these mods. The game is centered around modding. But if you had read the FAQ in the first post, you might notice that modding the shaders is NOT supported, and was only possible via several crude hacks, and major limitations exist such as requiring me to make a new fucking mod pack every beta! It was never meant to be done. (But that doesn't stop a drug addled hacker with unlimited patience, it's only a juicy challenge)

It is not required for you to have the post processing on very high, it's not a pissing contest. :) All the setting does is enable more shaders as you put it higher. So set it to the highest setting where you don't have DOF. (a few years ago, that's all that the upper settings did anyways, enable mid and high dof, but I think they added more now) The idiotic running blur is used by other effects unfortunately. It can be disabled, but it causes those effects to not work anymore (close bullet/shell shock, grenade blast) AND most importantly for me, requires me to release even more mods, which I have to update every beta. It's the same with the glow, some people hate that too.

All of this is solved by BIS putting individual shader options in the INI file or the GUI. The GUI is more work, but we'll settle for the INI too. Plus if they use the INI, there is more space to list every shader so it can be enabled/disabled. I don't care how they do it, as long as they do a decent job that addresses the issues, and not in a half assed way. People have been complaining about the shaders for 4 years, BIS doesn't get it. Yell louder, because I'm not going to. I lost the will to work with them anymore, I did all the proper channels, a lot of improper channels, it isn't a priority for them. For years it's been one of the topmost requests in the CIT. They want the game to look like a console-platform petroleum jelly smeared turd. Too much pride.

I don't play the game anymore, I have little interest in improving this when the mod shouldn't have to exist in the first place. ALMOST ALL TRIPLE-A CLASS FPS GAMES HAVE INDIVIDUAL CONTROLS FOR GPU INTENSIVE AND 'PERSONAL PREFERENCE' SHADERS. And I tire of retyping this explanation repeatedly over the course so many years now, that is why I am probably rude about it. They ignore my bug about the FPS being low and the blur shader malfunctioning to a smeared mess, close ticket. It's easy to repro, play the game on a machine with a slow fucking cpu or video card. Bug got closed, was NEVER even looked at by a dev, in all the years it was open. You guys take up the fight, because I wore out my patience with them, and probably my welcome too.

Also entitlement gets on my nerves. If you want something, work to do it yourself. This community is a do-ocracy. I happen to be good at hacking around and making things do what I want them to, and you might be good at talking to BIS and organizing a community to bring attention to the issue. I would not be, because I want to leave a flaming bag of shit on their front steps at this point. ;)

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Seriously, with PP set to Low and this mod, the blur is pretty much inexistant whereas the game looks SO much better and there's almost no hit on performance.

Try this combination and see for yourself!

Thanks for helping out domo!

Also: There should never be a hit in performance because the mod actually increases performance, decreasing hundreds of shader instructions to 1 or 2. (detailed in faq)

I know there is a new beta out guys, but guess what?! RAID drives failed again..

I need to rid of these 4 WD Raptor turds and get an SSD or something. And tired of Intel Matrix joke of a raid system. But it's what I get for using old recycled drives anyways I guess.. I'll work on that tonight, try to rebuild raid metadata again.. but I think one drive has many corrupted sectors or the head has failed. Anyways, I will figure it out and get the new beta mod done, probably tonight. Sorry for the delay as usual. Remember the glory days when it was all automatic and magical, hrrrrrmmmph. (and I worked for the game studio and made lots of money, now I sleep on a couch and cannot buy nice computer parts anymore. But these are my choices, noone elses! :) )

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

...results were pretty terrific.

THANK YOU again. BI should hire you for your valuable service.

Yours!

Kyle

June 25, 2012

Thanks dude, I'm glad it works for you and it's made you happy. When you see a thread complaining about Blur or Glow or shaders, please voice your opinion that there should be options for these shaders in the game by default, so this crude mod does not have to exist!

Also: I would probably get fired, too late for me.. my BIS fanboy flame has long been extinguished. :( Prague is very nice though I've heard. I hardly play games anymore though. (If I were, they would be Arma or an RTS) A decade of OFP/ArmA fun and bugs, supporting people for issues that needn't be there, it all got sad and frustrating. Had a ton of fun though, especially OFP and ArmA1 days!

Cheers!

Edited by oktane

okay fixed for now.. had to toss array, restore from 2 month old backup. one of the drives was going click, click. :) 4x 10k RPM raid array replaced by old ide drive, LOL.

last two are updated

cheers

Thanks oktane, you know we love you :).

+1

@oktane - hope you get the drive issues sorted, and thank you for reducing my expenditure on sick bags!

oktane: any chance of an update for the 94700 patch mate?

Cheers and much appreciated!

Thanks again for working on this oktane....it is very clear this is a pain to do with the amount of beta patches coming out. Hopefully BI will finally relent and give shader control through the INI in Arma 3. Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it.

sorry if im comletly blind... by I cant see Arma 1.11 version enywhere? please can somebodypoint me THX

Check the opening post, everything is described there. Latest version of noblur is 1.10 (this number is not related to ArmA 2 version, just says the version of the addon itself).

Myke;2190646']Check the opening post' date=' everything is described there. Latest version of noblur is 1.10 (this number is not related to ArmA 2 version, just says the version of the addon itself).[/quote']

aha, I tried it yesterday and it didnt work :/ so ill try again.. Thx

edit: :) works thanks

Edited by filas

Hey guys, 1.62 is up. Give it a shot? http://506.jestservers.com/scripts/oktane/noblur/okt_noBlur_OA_retail_1.62.7z

I do notice I am behind one for arma2 (not oa), I tried to run the script today and it went pear shaped, I'll fix the a2 version when I get a chance. And add on that new signature file stuff, does anyone even use that?

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Myke;2190646']Check the opening post' date=' everything is described there. Latest version of noblur is 1.10 (this number is not related to ArmA 2 version, just says the version of the addon itself).[/quote']

actually, my version number always matches the games :) it's because of the crude way it's done, detailed in other ranty posts. So he's right, I'm behind one for A2. (non oa) I'll get to it when I can.

Remember if you like this mod, get BIS to put it in the game properly, make noise, tickets, etc. It shouldn't have to exist. BIS needs a severe beating with the clue-bat when it comes to basic graphic options that all major games have. They add more shaders and don't include options for the ones that already exist. To be really simple, they need an option in the graphics to enable/disable JUST the blur and bloom, things like that! Not disable all of them or in groups, individual controls!

Did you check the DevTracker page oktane? It was updated just a hour ago and has a target set for the next beta patch!

Well it was just a mass move of tickets..

As ever, thank you for your skill & dedication in supporting this essential mod.

Absolutely. Last night the boys were b1tchin' about 1.62 until I pointed out that Oktane had already updated his noBlur mod.

Once downloaded and installed we were away like a pack of rabid wolves...

Has anyone managed to get this mod to work using the in game expansion manager instead of the -mod parameter? I can load all of the other mods fine through the in game manager, but even with noBlur enabled it seems to have no effect. I think it is because its not possible to arrange the order so that it is loaded last.

Reason I need to use that is because I use a hack (http://colorclutch.sourceforge.net/) to force Arma 2 to use my monitors ICC profile, which involves launching the game via a separate .exe, which unfortunately does not pass parameters correctly to Arma if they are wrapped in quotes, which they need to be to load combined ops etc.

Has anyone managed to get this mod to work using the in game expansion manager instead of the -mod parameter? I can load all of the other mods fine through the in game manager, but even with noBlur enabled it seems to have no effect. I think it is because its not possible to arrange the order so that it is loaded last.

Reason I need to use that is because I use a hack (http://colorclutch.sourceforge.net/) to force Arma 2 to use my monitors ICC profile, which involves launching the game via a separate .exe, which unfortunately does not pass parameters correctly to Arma if they are wrapped in quotes, which they need to be to load combined ops etc.

petition the game devs to add the option to enable/disable the blur. indeed it may be because of loading first/last. It used to work with the in game thingy, that's why I made the icon and the addon.cpp file so that it has the information in there. But I dont doubt that they broke it or it stopped working. Most mods are not made like this one is, overriding the bin.pbo/shaders is not a normal thing. (sometimes, a total conversion will)

Hence the need for developer support, then all this would be unnecessary.

But really, can you contact the author to get him to pass command line paramaters? You cannot be the only person with this issue here.

Cheers

im late on the last two betas guys, i am rearranging everything and the computer is discon. get to it asap.

cheers

updated last two betas that were missing, still need to fix script for old arma2 non-oa sorry

cheers

Is there a chance you could remove the bloom also? That is the only post processing effect that bothers me.

finally sorted v1/v2 signatures! and fixed arma2 (nonOA) script. my updates come slower than BIS feature requests, lol.

So noBlur updates released tonight:

ArmA 2 1.11 (finally! and w/v2 sig)

OA 1.62 (just with new v2 sig)

Latest Beta 97028 with v2 sig

Everything will have v2 sigs in future of course. I also installed more bloated DLC (ACR Lite) but it did not make any game changes so nothing is needed for that.

I imagine only a handful of people use this mod, but maybe it will be allowed on v2 sig check servers now. Dunno how that works, it says a new key is not needed so they should be able to use the existing one, the only change was on my end.

Cheers

Thanks for the information Sickboy.