oktane

oktNoBlur - Signed Blur Remover Addon

Do we need a new version for Beta 71213?

Technically, no - bin.pbo is the same as build 71141 (checked with HashCheck after extracting bin.pbo). But oktane prefers to release a new mod for each build, even if it doesn't change. He's kinda slow on this one tho (not that I am complaining!) so go ahead with his build 71141 mod - it should work fine. ;)

Don't seem to be able to get this working.

Using the 71141 version of Okt and 71141 beta. Every time I try to load I get: 'Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0'

I've used the installer that comes with Okt, and even manually replaced the Bin file in my beta folder (yep, I've checked that I'm using the 'noblur' shader for the A2 beta).

I've tried without any other addons. As soon as I remove Okt, the original shaders work fine and Arma2 loads.

Anybody else encountered this?

Fixed: the 71141 download link on the front page seems to give non-working files.

The direct link given in post 73 works (no blur but not no glow), you just have to replace the bin file in your beta/dta folder. It doesn't have to be renamed.

Edited by Richey79

That error Richey usually relates to beta run parameters. Are you sure you have the launch lines set up correctly for the beta? You must run the beta as a mod from /beta but the start in box must be Bohemia Int/arma 2/

Example:

Target "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta

Start in "C:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2"

(make sure you DO NOT have a ; at the end of -mod=beta unless you have another addon to follow)

Edited by rexehuk

...you just have to replace the bin file in your beta/dta folder. It doesn't have to be renamed.

Do not replace the bin file in your beta/dta folder. The mod is designed to run in its own folder (e.g. @okt_noblur). Within that folder you need to have two folders - addon and dta. Put oktane's pbo and bisign files in the dta folder (nothing goes in the addon folder) then run with @okt_noblur in your command line. You should only have one version of his pbo/bisign files at a time in that dta folder.

Technically, no - bin.pbo is the same as build 71141 (checked with HashCheck after extracting bin.pbo). But oktane prefers to release a new mod for each build, even if it doesn't change. He's kinda slow on this one tho (not that I am complaining!) so go ahead with his build 71141 mod - it should work fine. ;)

Cheers mate!

Q: Do we need a new version for Beta 71275?

A: Nope - bin.pbo is the same as build 71141 (checked with HashCheck after extracting bin.pbo) so go ahead with his build 71141 mod - it should work fine.

oktane - where are ya man?

Don't seem to be able to get this working.

Using the 71141 version of Okt and 71141 beta. Every time I try to load I get: 'Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0'

I've used the installer that comes with Okt, and even manually replaced the Bin file in my beta folder (yep, I've checked that I'm using the 'noblur' shader for the A2 beta).

I've tried without any other addons. As soon as I remove Okt, the original shaders work fine and Arma2 loads.

Anybody else encountered this?

Fixed: the 71141 download link on the front page seems to give non-working files.

The direct link given in post 73 works (no blur but not no glow), you just have to replace the bin file in your beta/dta folder. It doesn't have to be renamed.

Do not replace the bin file in your beta/dta folder. The mod is designed to run in its own folder (e.g. @okt_noblur). Within that folder you need to have two folders - addon and dta. Put oktane's pbo and bisign files in the dta folder (nothing goes in the addon folder) then run with @okt_noblur in your command line. You should only have one version of his pbo/bisign files at a time in that dta folder.

Thanks. This is correct, except for the need for the addons folder. It isn't used. The only reason I include it in the 1.05 release is so I can put a note in there that says 'NOTHING GOES IN THIS FOLDER'. It serves as a visual hint that it WONT WORK when you try to put the mod in an Addons folder instead of a Dta folder..

People who have super easy problems due to failing to read the thread/documentation should be shot. Do you think people enjoy writing documentation in the first place, or humor you with responses when you can't be bothered to read a paragraph or two? :( I hate writing documentation.

Don't overwrite/edit your game files! Don't put addons of any sort into the game's stock folders! If you can't get it to work, try reading the instructions and thread!? In the long run, it will have taken you more time fiddling with it than it would to read the thread, ask a question and wait for response.

The beta folders are just that, only for the beta. They are made so frequently, they don't include updated documentation. They don't include config scripts. Those that use them, know how to use them based on the info in this thread, after you get the new a2 beta, just delete the old noblur and drop this one in it's place. Load the @okt_noblur in your modline, if you haven't already. You cannot use the beta noblur with the stock game, nor can you use the stock 1.05 noblur with the beta. You should use the right beta noblur with the corresponding Arma2 beta, or suffer crashing.

Also, if you had read the thread, you'd know the no-glow is not present in the beta releases. Nobody uses it, it does not have much of a performance impact either. If you don't want glow or blur, you could turn off post processing. :D

For most addons, making a mistake is no big deal. But with this addon, since it contains the whole game config, it is potentially destructive to other people you play online with. So please read the threads and keep the noblur up to date with the latest betas.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

oktane - where are ya man?

I was not at my post most of the day. Here ya go, cheers. :D

FOR Beta 71275 ONLY

http://www.506th-pir.org/scripts/oktane/noblur/@okt_noBlur_1.5.71275.7z

Mirror? Here's one if the site doesn't work for you:

http://506.jestservers.com/scripts/oktane/noblur/@okt_noBlur_1.5.71275.7z

Edited by oktane

Hope ya keep this going for OA! Cant wait :)

Thanks Again!

Thanks oktane. Did you also notice that your beta mirror appears to be down atm?

Thanks oktane. Did you also notice that your beta mirror appears to be down atm?

Which one?

Here you can see them all: http://www.506th-pir.org/scripts/oktane/noblur/ I can get to this site, is it giving you issues? I copied them here too for now, in case thats whats going on. http://506.jestservers.com/scripts/oktane/noblur

Lol, for OA I hope it's an OPTION like it should be. :D

When I get this completely automated I will try to rewrite the docs to simplfy them. Ideally an update script will be made that you can run and automagically get the latest noBlur beta. (for A2 beta users obviously)

Edited by oktane

People who have super easy problems due to failing to read the thread/documentation should be shot. Do you think people enjoy writing documentation in the first place, or humor you with responses when you can't be bothered to read a paragraph or two? :( I hate writing documentation.

I think you're providing a great service to the community by keeping this must-have addon bang up to date at all times.

However... I can't see anywhere in the readme/FAQ where it says what to do with the latest beta version shaders that you provide.

I'm now running no blur from the command line -@okt_noblur as you suggested, as per the (easy-to-use) installer you provide. The shader error I was getting was the result of not putting the new beta version of your mod in the C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@okt_noblur\dta folder; and so using the file meant for vanilla A2.

I suppose most people messing about with the rotshaders for the latest beta will already know exactly where all the files go. But the 'paragraph or two' didn't say where these files needed to be manually moved to - only to use the auto-installer.

Make a guide for idiots idiot-proof! :pet5:

Yeah, the glow does look nice, I agree, and thanks for the explanation in this thread of where to put the files.

Beta 71382 out

Thanks, I was waiting for it to be out on Six Updater.

I am starting a new naming scheme here:

FOR BETA 71382 ONLY!

@okt_noBlur_for_Beta_1.05.71382.7z

Due to some instabilities with the latest betas, I found myself switching between the 1.05/beta frequently.. which meant I had to swap the noBlur obviously. I normally did this by renaming the folder, I had two folders.. one with 1.05 noblur, the other with the latest beta noblur. I'd just rename whatever one I wanted to use to @okt_noblur. But this is silly, since I use separate shortcuts anyways. (they had identical modlines, other than the beta having 'beta' mod of course) But from now on, the noBlur's from the beta version shall live in @okt_noBlurBeta (new) and the non-beta will live in @okt_noBlur (as it did before).

Summary: your beta shortcut will use the @okt_noBlurBeta mod, and your normal shortcut will use @okt_noBlur. If you use a mod launcher type app, well I hope this wont affect you much, you can just check whichever one you need. (don't run both obviously) And you can rename @okt_noBlur or @okt_noBlurBeta to whatever you want as always, (like to shorten it) just don't mix up whats inside.

So when the next final patch comes out, I'll sort this all out and get rid of the config scripts and that useless junk. But for now, I'll continue releasing these beta's by themselves.

:yay:

Cheers

Edited by oktane

This looks promising (taken from Ask Bohemia about A2OA on the Biki):

"Very important, have the post processing effects been sorted? You have received a ton of complaints regarding the post processing system forcing Blur effects on the user which in their current form have massive performance issues. Is Blur able to be disabled separately, IE are there more fine grained GFX options in either the UI or INI? http://dev-heaven.net/issues/5932

It is now possible to select more levels of post process to scale better with performance and also to cater to various personal preferences better in OA. Some future improvements are considered as well. " :yay:

I expect oktane will release a build 71548 version of the noblur mod soon, but if you can't wait, bin.pbo has not changed. Okay to use the build 71382 version of the mod with the new build 71548.

I expect oktane will release a build 71548 version of the noblur mod soon, but if you can't wait, bin.pbo has not changed. Okay to use the build 71382 version of the mod with the new build 71548.

Thanks Kabong!

This looks promising (taken from Ask Bohemia about A2OA on the Biki):

"Very important, have the post processing effects been sorted? You have received a ton of complaints regarding the post processing system forcing Blur effects on the user which in their current form have massive performance issues. Is Blur able to be disabled separately, IE are there more fine grained GFX options in either the UI or INI? http://dev-heaven.net/issues/5932

It is now possible to select more levels of post process to scale better with performance and also to cater to various personal preferences better in OA. Some future improvements are considered as well. " :yay:

Yes, I was surprised I was the first one to ask that. Not many people asked about glaring bugs or broken features.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Yep, here it is:

FOR BETA 71548 ONLY!

@okt_noBlur_for_Beta_1.05.71548.7z

After seeing the latest ARMA2-OA movies, blur could be a major problem for peoples first impression.

I couldn't even finish watching them as they were making me sick.

It totally looked like a lag fest, but I knew it was blur...lessinformed people won't know what to make of it.

Just saying people might want to disable blur before making promotional vids.

After seeing the latest ARMA2-OA movies, blur could be a major problem for peoples first impression.

I couldn't even finish watching them as they were making me sick.

It totally looked like a lag fest, but I knew it was blur...lessinformed people won't know what to make of it.

Just saying people might want to disable blur before making promotional vids.

Well they mentioned that OA will have more fine grained control of those effects. If BIS thinks they look good enough to be enabled by default, there is really nothing we can do. It looks passable when the framerate is really great, but often that is not the case. When coupled with video compression, the results aren't pretty. Not quite sure what you mean about lag fest, lag and blur are very different problems. Lag is evidenced by people warping around in MP, blur happens continuously when you move your view.

You may also have an issue with the overdone headbob, but that is easily turned down.

As far as promo videos, they must think it looks great or something.. I think it looks like a shiny console game. At least we know there's solid gameplay behind all those crappy effects.