Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

One request

Not likely to happen.

But This is the future why is there a boat?

I know its called carrier comand but wouldt it be way cooler of it was a

hover carrier?

You could move it over the island with you, would open up more tactical possibilties.

And just be more awesome.

Kinda like the titan in battlefield 2142.

:D

Anyone read the Mortal Engines books? Carrier Command would make a great platform for a mod if you replaced the carriers with cities and the fighters with airships. Either by tweaking the ocean to resemble ground or by somehow allowing the carriers over land...

http://actionfigurecanada.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/me_london.jpg

http://www.mortalengines.co.uk/wallpapers/ME_1280x1024.jpg

http://www.mortalengines.co.uk/wallpapers/PG_1280x1024.jpg

http://www.mortalengines.co.uk/wallpapers/DP_1280x1024.jpg

Edited by Daniel

I would enjoy a mod, where carriers are in fact spaceships. But as a MOD, or something like alternative gameplay, but fan series just must reveive something similar to the original game.

See ive never heard of the original game and to me It doesnt make sence, You have space ships and your looking to conquer and or colonize a planet, the last thing you want to do is limit your Base of operation to just water.

Its not like they dont have the technological ability.

was the first carrier game set in the future?

See ive never heard of the original game and to me It doesnt make sence, You have space ships and your looking to conquer and or colonize a planet, the last thing you want to do is limit your Base of operation to just water.

Its not like they dont have the technological ability.

was the first carrier game set in the future?

Perhaps running the ops from space is too costly. It takes a lot of fuel for ships to keep breaking out of the atmosphere. Not to mention... when you are in orbit you are a target to anyone on an entire half of a planet. When you are in the sea, you are a target to people within maybe 1000sqkm.

That is true however a carrier that hovered over water that could also pass over land would be vastly superior, especially if you were on a world where oceans might not even exist or exist in a form that could not provide proper bouyancy, like it there was a high concentration of methane in the water etc.

Id never green light a project to another planet that said we were gonna drop a boat hehe.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/124/reviews/932358_20060505_screen002.jpg Thats from battlefield 2142 it was a carrier/base floated over the city acted as a base launched air craft etc.

Thought it was great

That is true however a carrier that hovered over water that could also pass over land would be vastly superior, especially if you were on a world where oceans might not even exist or exist in a form that could not provide proper bouyancy, like it there was a high concentration of methane in the water etc.

Who's to say that the carriers in Carrier Command don't have hovercraft capability? Seeing as they probably also have to have atmospheric re-entry capability, it's not all that far-fetched. Nevertheless, from an energy efficiency standpoint, floating in water makes much more sense than hovering over land. The former requires zero energy, except when you're actually moving, while the latter requires either high amounts of constant thrust, or some kind of antigravity generator. Either of which would not only require constant cunsumption of energy, but also most likely give away the carriers position.

However you look at it, floating on water makes a lot more sense. I think it would be much more interesting if the carrier was submergible. :D

Who's to say hovering something as massive as an aircraft carrier is even feasible in Carrier Command's universe? Makes much more sense to have them float as ships do in our world.

Besides, any game designer with half a bran knows its more important to create a good game dynamic than to worry too much about the reasoning. That can come later. Otherwise you scrub a perfectly good style of game.

Besides, any game designer with half a bran knows its more important to create a good game dynamic than to worry too much about the reasoning. That can come later.

That's quite debatable... and I say it really depends on what you're developing the game for.

And no, I can't just ignore the irony that you said "half a bran."

Brilliant. :D

And fair comment as well. I suppose to specify, I should have said within the realms of Science Fiction.

Edited by Daniel

I should have said within the realms of Science Fiction.

Again, it still depends. Take a Star Wars game as an example, accurate portrayal of the content is just as important as gameplay. No need to enter a debate about it though.

Not likely to happen.

But This is the future why is there a boat?

I know its called carrier comand but wouldt it be way cooler of it was a

hover carrier?

You could move it over the island with you, would open up more tactical possibilties.

And just be more awesome.

Kinda like the titan in battlefield 2142.

:D

The Original carrier command had a carrier in the water (NOT HOVERING).

The carrier was slow but it had some sort of hyper drive to get from one island to the next, but you couldn't turn in this mode due to the speed :)

looking at the screen shots it looks like the carrier is capable of hydroplaning for fast travel between islands..

The fun part was sending out a Scout with extra fuel pods to spy on the next island..

My weekends were wasted playing this game back in the day :bounce3: