Sign in to follow this  
athariel

graphics mods and headbob

Hey!

Last time I played Arma 2 it was a horrible experience. Now I started playing it with NoBlur mod and in third person perspective and it's much better :) I had some questions though:

1) is it possible to remove the headbob in first person view?

2) is there some list of graphical mods for arma2? I only found the noblur mod and it's great, also fixed a lot of performance problems for me, I'd be very happy if there was a bigger list of similar mods.

thanks. see ya on the battlefield

1. Gameplay settings. Headmovement = 0% (means slider all to the left).

2. No blur? Just turn off (Very Low) Post Processing Effect and there is no blur AFAIK.

Dont know how someone doesnt like those 2 but hey were all different.

EDIT: I have Headbob set to 30% and Post Processing Effects on LOW. LOW gives shines from the sun on metal wich is great (and the odd cow can shine but...). Headbob 30% (or even 20%) gives a feeling of "being there" instead of 0% wich is like having a stick up your ass while moving - floating head style kinda.

Edited by Alex72

1. Gameplay settings. Headmovement = 0% (means slider all to the left).

2. No blur? Just turn off (Very Low) Post Processing Effect and there is no blur AFAIK.

Dont know how someone doesnt like those 2 but hey were all different.

Really? I can't imagine people liking those features. Motion blur is so nausiating. I can't even look at videos of ArmA2 where motion blur is turned on. And post processing in games is always overdone. It's completely unrealistic. The human eye is not that short sighted. I turn those things of in every game that has it provided that u can turn those off ofcoarse. For me a game looses points when u can't turn it off. But as u say were all different.

Motion blur? On my GTX275 i dont see much "motion blur" anymore when turning side to side. Only the more true to life shine/radiation of light objects that comes from the sun (sure a bit overdone - so what). And then slight tunnel vision you get from running is even present in VBS2. If its good for the military its good for me. Like i said - you can leave it at LOW wich wont blur the image anywhere apart when running (slight) and when you get shot at wich are effects to get you INTO the game more.

The PP effect also add effects to the weapon scopes so they look more realistic instead of just being a cut out hole scope. It gives an effect when bullets pass close to you plus an effect when you get tired and shot. All to simulate some feeling. Again this is present in VBS2 - and i love those effects. I wish ARMA2 had the more hardcore tunnel vision plus moral effects if a squaddie dies.

And the headbob i have at 20-30% wich i said, and that just moves the image slightly wich feels more realistic than a floating head like the simple shooters.

ARMA is an adventure - not a simple f****ing game. :D

GTX275 might be the key to it. Motion blur works by averaging several consecutive frames. When you have 60 FPS it's fine, because frames are very close to each other to the blur is very slight, similar to standard fullscreen blur. On the other hand, when on my PC Arma2 gives ~20 fps, frames are three times more jumpy than with 60 FPS, so motion blur averages three completely different frames giving you very bad result image.

Motion blur is frame rate dependent, so low frame rate will increase the amount of blur you see.

I like the features you mention. They look great when you don't have a frame rate problem.

^^ Yeah. Sorry didnt get that through well enough. When i had my previous video card it was a blur fest while moving, but with more power its not there anymore.

I have headbob on 20% I think and pp on very high. If you set it on disabled then you have no blur at all. On low it looks a bit nicer. On normal and high it looks pretty weird. Hurts my eyes, it all blury, especially when you look at trees. On very high it looks amazing, like in BIS trailers. Picture becoms more clear, grass looks great. And you dont need AA and AF then becouse the edges of power lines and buildings look smooth.

^^ Hmm i never ever seen difference between HIGH and VHIGH. I switch back and forth and nothing... Looks the same.

Maybe its only if the rest of the settings are on VHIGH? I have all on HIGH when i test PP on VHIGH but cant see any difference at all.

EDIT: Very nice though when PP is HIGH/VHIGH and you aim as it goes all clear in the middle. :) Good stuff.

GTX275 might be the key to it. Motion blur works by averaging several consecutive frames. When you have 60 FPS it's fine, because frames are very close to each other to the blur is very slight, similar to standard fullscreen blur. On the other hand, when on my PC Arma2 gives ~20 fps, frames are three times more jumpy than with 60 FPS, so motion blur averages three completely different frames giving you very bad result image.

I have very decent framerate and i still don't like the motion blur. It's a personal preference i guess.

@Alex : your right. Arma2 is an adventure ;) but OFP never had those features and it felt immersive enough. I just don't like that the game (or any game) decides what to blur and what not. Again it's a personal preference. But i'm gonna try it with PP set to low. See if it works. :cool:

Oddly enough, I'm a big fan of the motion blur. Besides making it look more real (to me), I find it masks any frame rate hickups I may have. I'm getting a very nice framerate on my measly P4 Dual Core 2gig RAM Nvidia 8800GT system..... (although in a few recent Mission Editor games, my frame rate would quickly go to a crawl deep into the game... most likely due to too many AI opponents being spawned, rather than a graphics thing... since up to that point, the frame rate was great, even with settings high).

I've got head bob on 30% too.

I'm curious to play around with the Post effects now. I have mine set on Low, I think... I assumed it was just for the HDR glow and depth of field.