Sign in to follow this  
mrbinkels

Windows 7 stutter SOLVED!!

I noticed I was getting lower frame rates all of a sudden so I did a little research and found that wmpnetwk.exe (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service) was taking up quite a bit of cpu resources. I initially went into services and stopped it and noticed my cpu went down to 1-2% usage. Ran the built-in ARMA2 benchmark 1 and "recovered" my lost frames. Obviously this service is used for file sharing with my network(specifically my son's xbox 360) I don't use it so I disabled it. It literally made 7 fps difference for my rig.

I did a search here on the forums and didn't see any other posts about this. Figured I'd share, although ymmv.

Where do you find if this is running in Vista 64 bit

You can do this with TuneUp2009 is a very good program to optimize performance

Have a look here and no software to install, just registry changes :)

Main Page

Edited by 76

Yeah I discovered this was a real resource hog in Windows 7 when I first started using it, there's another thing in Windows 7 (maybe Vista as well not sure) which eats up huge amounts of CPU cycles and RAM for no apparent reason, "enhancements" on audio devices, even if none are selected apparently it has an impact, you need to tick the box "disable all sound effects" for every audio device you have, see pic below :)

enhancements.jpg

Easiest way is to type services.msc in the search box under the start button. Then scroll to the bottom and you will see the service there.

This link explains it very well. http://bucarotechelp.com/computers/wintips/92082801.asp

I am not affiliated with that website, I just googled it.

Yeah I discovered this was a real resource hog in Windows 7 when I first started using it, there's another thing in Windows 7 (maybe Vista as well not sure) which eats up huge amounts of CPU cycles and RAM for no apparent reason, "enhancements" on audio devices, even if none are selected apparently it has an impact, you need to tick the box "disable all sound effects" for every audio device you have, see pic below :)

Thanks a lot for informing that. I have known that services "trick" but never heard from this.

After weeks of trying to sort out major stutters during gameplay despite high fps

I have finally solved the issue. On going into task manager I noticed that windows media player networking service was sometimes using 80% of the CPU.

I've tried all the tweaks to no effect but after disabling this service I have now just played for two hours with no problems.

I hope this helps someone else because it was certainly driving me mad and I was thinking of reinstalling XP!

Here's a link about this issue

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/9abc9abb-4c39-4e90-ae75-2f1cb02d5843

I don't want to poop on this idea, but I believe most people have major stutters because of texture swapping and LOD swapping. Only solved by a faster hard drive. :( But I agree, the more background processes you stop the better. I've had Vista defrag while I was playing causing me to have a WTF moment. ;) W7 hasn't done anything that stupid so far. :D

EDIT: I remembered the best thing that worked is msconfig and restarting without extra services. That was on Vista a while back, it should work as good on W7 now.

tommy great to hear you have had success...

to anyone else who has issues the FIRST thing to check is what services/programs are running in the backgound.

Yep. For stutter issues the three best things you can do is to :

1) Disable un-needed services

2) Disable HyperThreading (if you're using a P4D or i5/i7)

3) Defrag your hard drive with a good 3rd party defrag program

For me (XP Pro), getting rid of Google Updater (bundles with Chrome and/or Google Earth) and jsq.exe service (Java Quick Start) fixed a lot of issues. Although Google Updater is not a virus, it sure seems to behave like one (simple one though). Remove it from one place and it magically reinstalls. Easy to get rid of permanently with some research, but it had me puzzled for a while. It even caused movie and music playback to stutter.

I had episodes before where i wondered wtf was going on. Every 5 seconds my game lagged like hell for maybe 2 seconds. I found it to be armaholic.com being opened in the background that was the culprit. Every 5 ca seconds it updates all the news etc (i guess?) and CPU works up to 50-60% when this happens.

So since then i always shut armaholic.com off when i play. :D

To quickly access services hit winkey+R and type services.msc

Be sure to disable it under properties, stopping it is only a temporary solution.

Personally, after upgrading my rig with a SSD two month ago, there were no stutters anymore (although I increased all my ingame settings (textures, etc.) a lot with the new rig).

Still @ Chernarus, (e.g. Domination, Warfare) if I teleported from one end of the map to the other and make a fast turn around after spawning, there were some small stutters.-After the first complete 360°-turn, the textures were loaded and it runs liquid. Furthermore I set default world to empty in the past to get faster to the mainmenu, because of editing or creating coops.

After some testing, I decided to set default world to Chernarus in the Addon-launcher (SpiritedMachine´s). After that, it needs a few seconds more to load the main-menu, but if youre playing any mission @ Cherna then, all stutters were gone after teleporting, which were created because of the texture loading.

Conclusion: If I decide to play any mission on Chernarus now, first I will change the parameter in the launcher from "empty" to "Chernarus", so no stuttering is given anymore.

Perhaps for some of you this experience (tested it only with a ssd) is helpfull and gives a better or more fluid performance on this island.

I fully agree with all of the above.

The good news is that there's an easy solution to reducing services: Gamebooster

It helps beginners and lazy people (myself included) temporarily shut down background processes.

I've been using it for 6 months now and no worries, only smoother performance!

I fully agree with all of the above.

The good news is that there's an easy solution to reducing services: Gamebooster

It helps beginners and lazy people (myself included) temporarily shut down background processes.

I've been using it for 6 months now and no worries, only smoother performance!

I use it as well, works perfectly.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

I merged these two threads together as they contain the same solution as well as further hints to improve things.

I don't want to poop on this idea, but I believe most people have major stutters because of texture swapping and LOD swapping. Only solved by a faster hard drive. :( But I agree, the more background processes you stop the better. I've had Vista defrag while I was playing causing me to have a WTF moment. ;) W7 hasn't done anything that stupid so far. :D

EDIT: I remembered the best thing that worked is msconfig and restarting without extra services. That was on Vista a while back, it should work as good on W7 now.

you edit screwed my pc up. if it wasnt for some miracle, i would have blammed u for a reinstall. this is bad advice peps dont do it! msconfig isnt the issue here.

im on win 7 with a ssd as my c drive with 16gb ddr3 ram. this whole thread hasnt solved my stutter problem. any more ideas?

Edited by knight_panthera

you edit screwed my pc up. if it wasnt for some miracle, i would have blammed u for a reinstall. this is bad advice peps dont do it! msconfig isnt the issue here.

im on win 7 with a ssd as my c drive with 16gb ddr3 ram. this whole thread hasnt solved my stutter problem. any more ideas?

Hello knight_panthera and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, you have posted in a more than 3-years-old thread. Please take a look at the forum rules you accept when joining. Specifically rule number 10. Thank you!