Sign in to follow this  
Gungnir

ArmA 2, Windows 7, SSD's, and Symlinks

I just installed Windows 7 on my new SSD. I plan on installing all of my games and a few AutoDesk programs on it as well. I plan on symlinking the "Users" folder to a spindle drive I have to keep all of my documents and media files off the SSD, it's only a 60GB.

I am just wondering if by doing that I will be causing ArmA 2 to pull data off of the spindle drive instead of running only from the SSD. One of the main reasons for buying the SSD was to get a boost in ArmA 2.

So does ArmA 2 store anything that is required for the game to run in the "Users" folder, and if so, how can I work around this?:386:

The things that ArmA 2 stores at Users:

-Your profile settings

-Missions & campaign Saves

-Cache of MP mission you connected

-Cache of Sounds and squad logos from other mp players

You can move your users folder to any other location you want using the -profiles switch in your Shortcut.

Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like most of the important things like map data, objects, and textures will be stored on the SSD. Good to know.

I have been advised by a fellow TGer to go the symlink each folder, i.e. my music, my photos, my video... instead of the entire users folder.

Edit: @ W0lle, So the whole "users" folder could be symlinked to the spindle, and then I could create a folder on my C: drive exclusively for my ArmA profile so that it would also be stored on the SSD?

Edited by Gungnir
just saw another post

Edit: @ W0lle, So the whole "users" folder could be symlinked to the spindle, and then I could create a folder on my C: drive exclusively for my ArmA profile so that it would also be stored on the SSD?

Well no, the -profiles parameter moves the userfolder to the new location. It doesn't keep a copy of it on the SSD (like a symbolic link would do).

So by using that parameter you have all the game files on the SSD and the user profiles folder on your spindle drive.

Excuse me for asking but why would you want to use a Symlink, This will slow down the whole operation right? Wont a regular profile backup do (every once in a while).

So why use a SSD for this in the first place if you are going to make it wait for the old spinning disk every time the profile folder is changed.:butbut:

I am just trying to maximize the performance of ArmA 2 and keep what is stored on the SSD to a minimum. I was just wondering if the game would be slowed down by the fact that it stores data in the "users" folder and that folder being located on the spindle.

I only have around 50GB free on the SSD so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store all of my documents and media on the HDD.

I doubt that you will notice the performance impact (if there is one at all) because the amount of data stored in the profiles folder ain't that much (savegames, game settings and missions you saved in the mission editor). All of the above are not time critical, except maybe the savegames where you need to wait a second or two longer to load it.

I get myself a SSD soon too and then save the user profiles on the spindle drive. Simply because my countless WIP missions would eat too much space on the SSD. :)