Krieg

Operation Hellfire

Author: Krieg

Type: Single-player mission

Required:

• OFP Resistance 1.96
  • No addons!

Version: Final V1

Mission Description: The Soviets have recently occupied small, yet strategic, island of Everon that sits just 300 miles from shores of the United States. Of course - Russians did not go to all the trouble of capturing the island just for fun. The island has airfield on it! Since war with the Soviet Union is ongoing, last thing Pentagon wants is Soviet bombers at it's doorstep. It has been decided that action must be taken. The best men of USMC have been united in a new task force. United States Marine Corps Task Force Alpha has been assembled. And you are good enough to be part of it. Land at shores of Everon, and secure beachhead for further invasion of the island. Good luck!

Features:

• Intro and outro
  • Voice acting
  • About a hour of gameplay
  • Intense action in the start of the mission
  • Much more cautious atmosphere at in second half of the mission
  • And more!

Side-notes: My third mission attempt yet, and in my opinion, the best.

Although voice acting is included, do not expect too much of a quality - I'm far from ideal voice actor but also the only one I had at my disposal. If there are still some bugs hiding inside of it, please report it. I'll fix it as soon as I am capable of doing it (my graphic card was fried, so I had to throw in my reserve which is, well, unsupportive towards OFP or any other 3D game). Fell free to suggest any improvements! Have fun! ;)

Download: The mission has been reviewed and is hosted at OFPEC.

i had already played this mission good mission,but easy for me to pass this one,

Thanks for response, riffleman! :)

I glad you liked the mission, I will look forward to fixing the difficulty issues as soon as I am capable of doing it!

Very good mission, just completed it with the ww4 mod and had lots of fun (though my guys had less fun as there was only 1 foxtrot recon guy left with me in the end :D )

The voice acting, the informative briefing and the cutscenes are really doing lots of good to make the player immersed in the mission.

I am not sure if it is intended, but when i took command of the foxtrot recon team , we are told about the presence of T80 at the camp without needing to call the armor support, but after cleaning the place, i noticed 1 already destroyed T80 there.

I have no idea if it was the Cobra that was sent ahead that made short work of it.

But once i was told to move to Figari, i called the armor support that apparently engaged something , and they reported casualties, but we saw no other tank around.

Anyways, i had lots of fun.

I downloaded it, only to die allmost at the very beginning of the mission.

The feeling of the mission was great. A lot of carefully plotted dialogues and very well chosen scenery, time and location. One hour of gameplay? A whole mountain of work has gone into the mission, for sure.

I will certainly try it again.. with better luck, hopefully.

How did You do the scripting? Did You use any tool for that?

@Sanctuary

Thanks for trying the mission, glad you liked it!

It is entirely possible, even likely, that one of the Cobras managed to survive battle at Morton and head off to mop up any other troublemakers that AI managed to see while engaging their primary targets. That has been reported by beta testers, but I never considered it a major issue, since choppers are brought down in 98% of the cases by either small arms fire, M2 machinegun or one of two Soviet AA soldiers I have placed in Morton.

There was one other tank at the Figari, but it does not move. It is likely that tanks encountered some AT infantry that is either randomly placed after the camp or some other AT infatry retreating from the camp. If you did not see any enemy combatants laying dead around, this might have been caused by the fog.

@wuschel

Thanks for trying the mission!

The 1 hour gameplay was reported mostly by beta testers, I personally got 48 minutes, but as the author I know the best strategies and tricks.

For camera scripting I used camera.sqs and for the regular Chris' OFP Script Editor.

All things good except puting unit position in mortön and base.whole unit died without firing a bullet.try to make thing more hard.

Thanks for the test, tiket!

I am unsure about "whole unit died without firing a bullet". If you mean that your whole squad died upon disembarkation, then I will do my best to fix it.

I will do my best to fix the difficulty!

I'd say the difficulty is ok as it is.It's challenging,but not to the point of frustration.You obviously put a lot of work into it,all round.I enjoyed it.Hope you've got some more in the works. :)

@Macser

Hmm... Comments about difficulty are mixed, apparently. It seems you can't satisfy everyone's taste... Without use of a dialogues ;)! So, it is finally solved which way I'll deal with difficulty. It will be matter of one dialog, few public variables, and variations of current scripts (i.e. spwaning more smarter enemies on higher difficulty and keeping current spawn scripts for easier difficulty).

Thanks on the test!

@riffleman

Thanks, I'll check it out!

@Macser

Hmm... Comments about difficulty are mixed, apparently. It seems you can't satisfy everyone's taste... Without use of a dialogues ;)! So, it is finally solved which way I'll deal with difficulty. It will be matter of one dialog, few public variables, and variations of current scripts (i.e. spwaning more smarter enemies on higher difficulty and keeping current spawn scripts for easier difficulty).

Thanks on the test!

@riffleman

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I found it difficult, but not impossible. In my opinion (and this is just me), making it any easier would detract from the quality of the mission. It was difficult yes, but that's what helps a good mission be a great mission.

It took me a couple of tries to survive the beachhead. I found that ordering my squad to immediately go prone and crawl lower down behind the steep embankment allowed us to survive long enough to lay down fire and go on the offensive.

I elected to arm myself with the M21 and LAW launcher, and I added more LAW rockets for the guys. This helped quite a bit.

I encountered no scripting bugs and the triggers and radio calls worked flawlessly. The only thing I wish I had was some NVG goggles.

I ended up with only two surviving SpecOps guys, but another run through should improve that. The low visibility is a nice touch.

All in all well done!

@LeafMaster510

Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it! :D

@PopUpTarget

Thanks for the test, I will add NVG's.