Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

Adding proxys/proxy config.

Hi everybody...

Well I've been taking a break from island making for a few days in order to try and achieve some sort of grasp on O2... at least enough to be able to edit and prep a few models for my island anyway...

I've done OK with things like adding memory points and I think I've got the basics now - thanks to Gnat and Mondkalbs tuts, primarily (big thanks guys)!

However, I'm struggling a bit with proxys... specifically - proxy config entrys (I think)...

I'm basically just trying to add one model to another as a proxy... attach a fence to a building, a streetlamp to a bridge - that sort of thing...

I'll use the streetlamp and bridge one as an example...

I've successfully added the two proxys to the bridge model - pathed to the basic BIS A2 streetlamp (lampa_sidl)... the bridge model is a renamed and edited A1 MLOD (BushAbridge)... bridge works fine in-game, no errors and the AI even seem to like it!... so far - so good...

With the path still currently set for the proxys reading...

proxy:\CA\buildings\misc\lampa_sidl.001

proxy:\CA\buildings\misc\lampa_sidl.002

... the streetlamps show in buldozer just fine - correctly positioned and oriented on the bridge...

So... following a couple of threads I read - I then renamed the proxys to...

proxy:lampa_sidl.001

proxy:lampa_sidl.002

.. then copied the proxys to the other LODs, including shadow and geo - and saved the model...

I have a config for the bridge already - so, again following the couple of threads I was able to find, plus the BIS manual, I added the streetlamp to CfgNonAIVehicles like this...

class CfgNonAIVehicles
{
class StreetLamp;	
class lampa_sidl: StreetLamp
{
model="\CA\buildings\misc\lampa_sidl.p3d";
simulation="alwaysshow";
scope=1;
};
class Land_Bush_Abridge
 {
   model = "\bushmodels\Bush_Abridge.p3d";
   simulation = "road";
scope=1;
   armor = 50;
   class Destruction
   {
     animations[]=
     {
       {"\bushmodels\Rtm\most_pad_01.rtm",0.2,17},
       {"\bushmodels\Rtm\most_pad_02.rtm",0.2,17},
       {"\bushmodels\Rtm\most_pad_03.rtm",0.2,17},
       {"\bushmodels\Rtm\most_pad_04.rtm",0.2,17},
       {"\bushmodels\Rtm\most_pad_05.rtm",0.2,17}
     };
   };
 };
***snip***

This is as far as I've got - needless to say - not showing in-game...

Should I be prefixing the proxy object classname in some way?

with this setup I get definition errors with the streetlamp - it doesn't seem to understand that class StreetLamp is a base class and already defined... I think maybe this should actually go in CfgVehicles - doesn't work there either... in fact, I've tried defining both the bridge and the streetlamp proxy in both Vehicles and NonAIVehicles - with and without the "Land_" prefix... I've even tried with just the proxy defined in the model and no config entry for it at all - as I also saw suggested on another thread - but I can't for the life of me get the proxy to show in-game...

Obviously, all this stuff is fairly new to me, so I'm almost certainly missing something blatantly obvious... so if some kind soul could stop laughing long enough to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it... :)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

's been a few days... nobody know anything about proxy configs??? :confused:

Actually... maybe I should be asking in "configs and scripting (addons)", coz I DO have the model part sorted... I should know better by now...:rolleyes:

B

Edited by Bushlurker

If you want proxies to "work" (like lamps), I suspect they wont. If you were going to add a lamp source memory point, it probably only works if its a memory point inside the main model, not the proxy model.

If you are just making "dumb" proxies (chairs and tables in houses etc), then I don't recall ever having to use a config entry.

In O2, in your main model just "add proxy", navigate to the proxy file, select it, done.

It should appear in Buldozer AND ingame.

Potential the only reason it may not work is if the directory/PBO location of the proxy p3d is NOT the same as in you P drive / Project directories.

i.e. People using NamesSpace technique might get into this problem.

Hi Gnat!

Thanks for the reply!

I'd shelved this issue for now and got involved in other things... I'll have to get back to it and have another determined try...

Well, yes - I was kinda hoping in that example I could get the lights to actually light too - mainly cause I couldn't get the original A1 bridge lights to work at all... but I was also hoping to attach some fences to buildings and generally make some "composite models" from existing ones...

I searched the A1 and A2 forums kinda thoroughly at the time... the thing that got me onto config entries was this bit in the o2 manual...

There should also then be added a note in the configuration file that will set the simulation class and the path of the proxy model.

Combining that with reading threads like this...

In your soldier config, create a custom proxy:

class cfgNonAIVehicles

{

//Inherit the base class

class ProxyGoggles;

class ProxyMyNVGoggles : ProxyGoggles

{

model="\MyAddon\MyNVGoggles.p3d";

};

};

In your *.p3d create a proxy and point it to the one in your config proxy:MyNVGoggles. After that the game engine will handle the rest.

... advice from UNN there, helping Cameron McDonald with an issue... note how he advocates the config entry, plus the shortening of the path in o2..

... all of which served to confuse me thoroughly...:o

Even closer to what I'm trying to do is this thread by CBFASI... where he's trying to attach fern objects to a wall object...

There's much discussion here too about shortening the proxy path in o2, CfgVehicles entries, CfgNonAIVehicles entries and all sorts... culminating with this post from Mondkalb...

I have found a solution for this problem:

You have to define an config-entry in cfgVehicles for the object that is containing proxies.

Example:

If you place in Visitor 3 a custom made building (eg. XYZ_restaurant.p3d) that uses proxies, you'll have to define "Land_XYZ_restaurant" in cfgVehicles

I guess my modified A1 bridge is a "custom made building that uses proxys"???

... tried it with and without the "Land" prefix too...

I don't think namespace is an issue here - my custom models pack - which contains the bridge, is on P:\ and is packed for in-game use from that directory - while the proxy model is in the usual P:\CA\etc path...

I dunno... as a total o2 beginner I'm waay out of my depth here.... I think I'll have to clear the decks of all other tasks and try this whole issue from scratch again - just brainstorm it till it works... or doesn't... ;)

I'll give the whole idea another determined go and report back...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Hey guys,

i've followed your comments to the topic adding proxies via config and the other threads about this topic.

I am modeling a hotel (for Arma 3) and want to add furniture like bed, bathtube, toilet and so on.
I know how to add the proxies via objectbuilder.

Can somebody please explain me how to add proxies via config ?
I only need the part what to write in config.cpp and models.cfg.

I didn't understand what you've written here. My config skills are on beginner level.
The memorypoints are all named in blender and are visible in objectbuilder.

Thanks a lot for your help.

1stJTOGcypher from germany

Can somebody please explain me how to add proxies via config ?

you cant add proxies via config. You have to edit the model. Also you should read this, placing furniture via proxies is not a good idea for performance.