Sign in to follow this  
striker(PANDA)

Lowpoly

How do i lower the poly on an object, sorry if is sounds dumb, im a total newbie to modelling, making a jail atm.

You can do all that manual if you know how to model (lower cylinder

edges etc)

Or just let it do all automatic, by buying/trying (demo) Modo and installing the tool "PolygonCruncher".

One click on the desired Polygoncount and you have it.

How do i lower the poly on an object, sorry if is sounds dumb, im a total newbie to modelling, making a jail atm.

If you have your model in O2 allready you could try deleting detailed objects which are not needed for distance lods.

You can also use the merge points option but it will most likely screw up your texturing, so you should only use it for the 3.000, 4.000 and 5.000 Lods where these errors are not noticable thanks to the distance.

If you have your model outside of O2 theres plenty of 3rd party scripts,tools and apps but I wouldn't know which one to recommend.

Edited by Icewindo

What i'm doing is :

- I texture the object for the first lod, a helmet for example, with the Gizmo mapping tool.

- Then i save it in my soldier model first lod.

- Then I use the merge near command on the helmet, it screws the texturing but i launch again the Gizmo tool which "remembers" the last texturing adjustment, so i only have to click on the "ok" button to retexture the low poly helmet exactly the same way it did texture the detailed model.

- Then i save this low poly helmet in the second lod.

- Etc for all the lods.

Very simple and quick.

Sorry ive been heavly busy, thank you for advise guys, im useing that merge points together tool, really does its job.

Thanks

if u have 3ds max u can target weld the vertices, which is the best way. any automatic process is likely to screw up your model

You can also use the merge points option but it will most likely screw up your texturing, so you should only use it for the 3.000, 4.000 and 5.000 Lods where these errors are not noticable thanks to the distance.

Now the thing here is that you can fix up your texturing after merging points (either with merge near or just selecting two points merge, shortcut is Shift+D).

Once you have textured the model by using any method available (direct texturing with drawing the texture area and apply it with B, Gizmo mapping which is good for cylinder shapes, but looses its spot to UV-mapping which is by far best addition to ArmAs Oxygen2 when we compare of OFPs Oxygen), all of it is transported to UV-map, where you can select the texture you want and edit its placement etc.

Now when you're doing LODs and merging points to cut the amount of polygons (which again is the easiest way and you don't need to remodel things or retexture them). When you're done with merging points on model you head again to UV-mapper and there you see that those parts that you merged has caused gaps between wireframe in UV-mapper and again you need to do some merging, but this time in UV-mapper. When your model is whole again (it might look stretched in UV-mapper, but don't worry about it) in there you can head back to Oxygen. Now when you preview it in Buldozer you can see that it looks pretty flawless again.

Oh and UV-mapper you can find in Oxygen, its small button on top right of your tool panel, its reading UV and when launched it opens new window for it. I dare to claim that its single most important tool in whole Oxygen.

Few pictures:

View in UV-mapper before merging points in Oxygen.

beforecut.jpg

After merging points in Oxygen it should look something like this.

aftercut.jpg

Then we merge gaps using again merge/Shift+D, results this (left two points unattended, you can do it all the way).

merged.jpg

Result will look like this in Buldozer, nasty line there, right?

bulld.jpg

Select whole model in Oxygen and press W and again W, result is this.

doubleinvert.jpg

Texture is intact and looks good. Top of all you don't need to do extra work to get it working neat and clean. If you want to do whole UV-mapping to model, I suggest reading and trying according this tutorial

Edited by Von Rundstedt
specified certain parts