Sign in to follow this  
Imperator[TFD]

Location of Chernarus in the world

screenshot20091107at628.jpg

So I was looking around at maps and what not for Chernarus and came across this picture. Upon showing it to another Arma 2 player he immediately said "so how did an american carrier group get into that inland sea?"

I looked twice then burst out laughing. So looking at the map I can't see anyway how a carrier group would have gotten into the Caspian Sea? Is there any sought of canal that links the Caspian with the rest of the world's oceans?

Interesting I thought.:)

It isn't in the Caspian Sea. It is on the Green Sea. I just take it as being part of the Black Sea. I know the angle of the coast is all wrong but its a small country so maybe you just can't tell on the map.

And no there is no way in.

[The Caspian Sea] is the largest enclosed body of water on Earth by area, variously classed as the world's largest lake or a full-fledged sea.

-Wikipedia

It isn't in the Caspian Sea. It is on the Green Sea. I just take it as being part of the Black Sea. I know the angle of the coast is all wrong but its a small country so maybe you just can't tell on the map.

T'was my first thought as well but then I realised that Takistan is also right next door while still sharing a border with Russia. Oh well, I just thought it was humorous.

The carrier was towed from the Black sea over the land by its crew and marines:D

The carrier was towed from the Black sea over the land by its crew and marines:D

Yeah the US Army should drop their slogan in favour of the Navy : " NAVY Strong" . :D

Imaginary countries always have imaginary neighbors with huge imaginary canals in which an LHD (not a carrier) can sail through ;) Use your imagination, and there is lots of possibilities why it was there :D

:D

Carrier attachTo [uH1,[0,0,-50]]

I chuckled at that one.:D

Ι found out about this last night!

it's the same area. Even the trees are a perfect match. I'll be back with an animated gif

here you go

http://yfrog.com/2prealchernarusg

The attention to detail is mindblowing. Check the forest shapes. Those B.I dudes are mental! :)

Edited by Master gamawa

That map can't be right. No way is Afghanistan's doppleganger on the Western border of the Czech Republic's doppleganger. And someone calculated the exact position using lunar navigation. IIRC Chernarus is plopped right over Moldova, where there is a breakaway state populated by a Russian minority.

That map can't be right. No way is Afghanistan's doppleganger on the Western border of the Czech Republic's doppleganger.

You're mixing the two maps a bit. Chernarus is based upon the area shown in that YouTube video. Takistan (Operation Arrowhead) on the other hand is based upon an area in Afghanistan, we just don't know where yet. :bored:

EDIT: I must have missed the point :yay:

Edited by colossus

You're mixing the two maps a bit. Chernarus is based upon the area shown in that YouTube video. Takistan (Operation Arrowhead) on the other hand is based upon an area in Afghanistan, we just don't know where yet. :bored:

Yes we do, look at the map in the OP. ;)

That map can't be right. No way is Afghanistan's doppleganger on the Western border of the Czech Republic's doppleganger.

To be fair, Harvest Red takes place in South Zagoria, which is quite far away from Takistan.

All attempts to find real analogues of Chernarus are just waste of time. It's like the situation with City-17 in Half-Life 2 :)

All attempts to find real analogues of Chernarus are just waste of time. It's like the situation with City-17 in Half-Life 2 :)

Well yeah apart from that area north of Povrly which is identical to Chernarus if you add three airports and... you know.. add a bit of ocean where the river is.

To be fair, Harvest Red takes place in South Zagoria, which is quite far away from Takistan.

Once again, look at the map. Takistan is less than 100 kilometers away.

Chernarus' homages are a bit more specific than City 17's. Landscape from the Czech Republic, names from Belarus and South Ossetia, coordinates from Moldova and Ukraine. I've never heard an insights about the architecture.

No part of the small map actually matches any of the highlighted area on the big map behind it... Ive looked at the area in Google Maps and there is nothing even closely resembling Chernarus there.

I've seen myself the area north of Prague in the Czech Republic, and AFAIK, that is the real area from where BIS took the elevation data for Chernarus... its not 100% accurate, since BIS had to make modifications, including adding in 3 airports and clipping the other side of the river to have an ocean.

That map you have there is either fake, or an attempt at illustrating the fictional geographical position of Chernarus...

Anyways, assuming that the Caspian Sea is where Chernarus was intended to be, It's quite ridiculous that there would be an aircraft carrier there indeed...

Well, maybe it's a new variant of carrier, with tank treads under the keel :p

Maybe it just crawled out of the water and tanked it's way to the other side :rolleyes:

Who can say it's not? the treads would be underwater :D

Cheers

Edited by Placebo

LOL every1 know5 th@t teh U5 has carriorz wit cloakin and teleprotayshun.

Havnt you guyz played Goest Reekon Futchuh Soldya?

regarding the real location of CHR. on Wikipedia it says that it is the region of České Středohoří which is in north western Czech Rep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernarus#Setting

The game takes place in autumn 2009 in the eastern part of a fictional post-Soviet state called Chernarus, particularly the region of South Zagoria and the remote island of Útes.

The area of approximately 225 km² is based on actual satellite photos of České Středohoří.

Actually I am pretty sure Chernarus is supposed to be Republic of Georgia. Georgia has two separatists factions and borders middle Eastern Countries.

Actually I am pretty sure Chernarus is supposed to be Republic of Georgia. Georgia has two separatists factions and borders middle Eastern Countries.

Georgians aren't a Slavic people, unlike the Chernarussians. Do you know that the Black Russian (the "Chernaruski") was invented in Chenarus? The Dude abides.

Edited by MissionCreep

And the Ossetians and Abkhazians aren't Slavic either.

Chernarus is a country with the language and landscape of the Czech Republic, a name that is a nod to Belarus (although South Zagoria clearly references South Ossetia) and a conflict that fits Transdniester in Moldova, or possibly a civil war in Ukraine, better than Georgia.

BI used the language and landscape of the Czech Republic simply because it was the easiest thing to do--local voice actors and local terrain available right outside their office. Where would they get Georgian voice actors?

Politically, the conflict fits most closely with the Ossetian war because it is the only such conflict with such a close connection to the U.S. The Georgians were trained by the U.S. and even used some U.S. vehicles and gear. U.S. trainers had only left Georgia just days before the war started. Some American politicians actually wanted to send U.S. forces into the conflict.

Politically, the conflict fits most closely with the Ossetian war because it is the only such conflict with such a close connection to the U.S. The Georgians were trained by the U.S. and even used some U.S. vehicles and gear. U.S. trainers had only left Georgia just days before the war started. Some American politicians actually wanted to send U.S. forces into the conflict.

It's more of an amalgamation than that.

The CDF doesn't use American weapons.

South Zagoria isn't explicitly a breakaway state, just a rebellious province inhabited by Russians. Like how Transdniester in Moldova was. Also, the Chedaki aren't a guerrilla force, they're a conventional army that can stand up to the central government forces. Like in Moldova, unlike in Georgia.

I'm not saying they were necessarily inspired by the rather uninteresting affair in Moldova, just that the parallels are a lot more general and don't fit Georgia so well as other places. It's just your average ex-Soviet spat with a bit of Russophobia thrown in. The Russians in Chernarus aren't even a legitimate minority, they're "settlers."

It doesn't have to be Geogia, it could also resemble Croatia or Bosnia during the civil war regarding the political situation.