Sign in to follow this  
Whoatherefatty

Don't you hate it when you try to spread the word of arma and...

The average gamer doesn't understand why there are so many different controls for the same function.

Take foreward for example. You have forward, slow foreward, fast forward, sprint, thrust (for planes), vehicle forward, command forward... then you have a 5 different keys for the crouch/prone/stand up functions where in COD you just have a change stance key. Then you have normal view, zoom view, optics view, zoom plus optics view, free look, toggle free look as well as map, clock, GPS, nightvision, headlights, salute, sit, lower weapon, dodge, step over...

What is dodge?

Never seen that before!

What is dodge?

Never seen that before!

Then you should really rent matrix trilogy or something... They dodge a lot there.

What is dodge?

Never seen that before!

Dodge is a pretty dodgy function. You can put it on a key combo in the setup (it´s called "evade" there I think.), but it rarely works. Apparently, it only functions when you pull a Tekken-esque key combo, which causes your character to do a sidestep in slowmotion. An animation whose length appears completely random, and if it plays out you can´t stop it, you can´t shoot while you are dodging (but you can reload) and because it´s so slow, just running sideways is usually much more effective.

For me, I can get it to work if I do W -> A -> Shift (Release W). Then sometimes he does a dodge. Sometimes he doesn´t. Really awkward... has anybody else observed this, or gotten it to work properly?

People that play console games aren't always raging morons.

But probably they can't read since nowhere in this thread anyone mentoined consoles.

For me, I can get it to work if I do W -> A -> Shift (Release W). Then sometimes he does a dodge. Sometimes he doesn´t. Really awkward... has anybody else observed this, or gotten it to work properly?

How the hell do I disable that thing? I've died numerous times just because I suddenly do that stupid prance in the heat of combat.

Oh, I assumed that it did. Usually, threads like this turn into exactly that arguement, post deleted.

Also, the way you move in A2 is unbelievably unnatural.

Oh, I assumed that it did. Usually, threads like this turn into exactly that arguement, post deleted.

Don't assume, read.

What is dodge?

Never seen that before!

I am talking about the roll actually.

Go prone and press sidestep left then right then left again quickly. Reverse that to roll towards the other direction.

It's pretty damn useless because I can't always make it work at the first time.

I deal with COD ass kissers every day at school...So I made this to show them my opinion:

25498_371675619913_540374913_3540500_2790263_n.jpg

Don't try to convert COD ass kissers to ArmA II, if they think it looks cool, then tell them more, don't go up to someone talking about his 25 kill streak, and tell him how you ripped apart 40 T-72s with an A-10.

The way you move in COD and other similar FPS games is even less natural. That is, compared to RL. Compared to video games it's very "natural" (as in easy to control) which is why everyone like it so much, but when you look at the player in 3rd person (that is, look at someone else moving around when playing multiplayer) it just looks wrong on so many levels.

You are both right, for different reasons.

Arma could benefit from a bit of fluidity in the animations (and the transitions between them) and at the same time COD could actually become a bit more human-like instead of being what it is: mutant soldiers on roller blades gliding around .

For example, in Arma I wouldn't mind if I could fall ten feet without landing straight up like a log. How about going crouched for a second before standing up, to simulate the fact that I bend my knees to absord the force of impact? Little details like that would make Arma better. Or when you sprint and press prone you shouldn't stop and carefully lie down. You should dive on the ground fast, unless you first stop pressing foreward etc.

Or when you sprint and press prone you shouldn't stop and carefully lie down. You should dive on the ground fast, unless you first stop pressing foreward etc.

Huh? There is a dive animation when you jog/sprint forward + go prone. Only that I looks a bit painful and awkward to land flat on your stomach. At least I was taught in the military to land on your left side (weapon in right hand), with your gear on you could do it very fast and without any pain.

ARMA2 is the Thinking Man's game.

For that matter so was OFP and Arma...

"Thinking Man's" - I wonder how many, if ANY Arma2 players are females?

I know quite a few women who play ARMA2.

I know quite a few women who play ARMA2.

How many of them are single? :yay:

How many of them are single? :yay:

Id be wary of a woman who plays arma :D

Well, I guess they hired a chimpanzee to do the motion capture then ;)

The animations are good, the transitions between them are what's lacking.

I don't mind that my friends play CoD, I just really hate it when they say it's realistic. Then they go on to how they did a jump with a 360 degrees turn and Semtac'd, or however you spell it, someone.

also think movement in COD is pretty unrealistic,.. only the movement speed when your walking slowly specialy in buildings is good.

when u want to clear a building with your team its nice to be able to move fast to fill the room with all players in a split second without getting stuck in the doorway with your rifle it makes those flashbangs more usefull....

One say he'd prefer blondes, another says no, better go for brunettes and a third jumps in and says nothing beats a redhaired chick.

You know what? They're all right....from theyr point of view. It is called "personal preferences".

Why in the hell has it to be different when it comes to games?

One says ArmA 2 is entertaining because it needs a lot more time, tactics and slow-paced advancing. Another one says CoD is entertaining because of it's action and the Hollywood-like feeling.

You know what? They are both right. It depends on how ones defines "entertaining". Do i have to call Captain Obvious in?

Do you really belive that a Hardcore Football Fan could find to watch a round of Chess also entertaining? Makes that one Game better than the other? I don't think so, Tim.

You see the same in Movies. Fast paced action movies attracts the biggest public. F*** realism as long it is entertaining. One pretty good example: Armageddon and Deep Impact. Both movies covering the same scenario (Earth hit by stellar object). One movie was fast-paced popcorn cinema at it's finest, the other one goin for realism and being believable, showing the tragedies behind all decisions and actions that had to be made. Guess which movie was more successful? Does this make the other movie worse? Still don't think so, Tim.

So please stop this "my game is better than your game" discussion as there wont be a winner anytime.

ArmA 2 is different. Nothing more to say.

And on a sidenote:

Due to ArmA 2 i've learned to script, to fiddle with configs (could call this "programming" in widest terms), to create 3D models and to do textures. As learning, no matter what, will make a person better than before......it made me a better person then. ;)

Actually you are wrong sir, brunettes are best and so is Arma2!!!

And as for movies both of those were grossly bad and unrealistic, I think Arma is like a good James Cameron movie where even though its unlrealistic from the start he tries to do as much as he can to make every little thing as real as possible resulting in good immersion and thus suspending reality in a more successfull way than if someone else did it. Only thing is BI doesnt have as good marketing and direction as good ole James has but they do pretty good considering.

Peace

Hicks (sure it's not Hudson?), you really missed the point completely. Whatever you think is good and entertaining doesn't mean everyone else has to agree as this is a matter of own preferences.

And you missed my point, I was just breaking balls, of course everything is point of view but I do think if arma 2 had proper backing both technically and through publishing/marketing it could better compete with the mainstreams.

Its kind of similar to why Nascar is more popular in the states then F1..

Still BI studios is awesome for staying true to their craft:yay:

Lets just hope if they do get proper backing they keep their integrity...

yeah there are some real wack jobs out there that would down play this game just to to make others acceptable.

I'll tell ya..there was this stupid guy on the gamefaqs boards who proceeded to tell us that operation flashpoint was better than arma 2...he would say things like the AI driving was worse... I hoped in the back of the humvee and enjoyed the scenary as the AI drove me halfway across the map no problems...something that was impossible on the debacle called OPDR

I finally get arma 2 and the game is 10x'x better than I had imagined it. I mean if you look at the OFP box...you would think that Arma 2 was the game you were getting...

I don't know what drives these fanny boys:j:

COD is a great cat and mouse game when we lan it 4-6 players, its an adrenaline rush! its a great game for trying to outwit your opponent, after a round we all start breathing again, that may be the sense of realism it produces... the sense you were really in a fight... i also loved playing duke nukem against my friend on dialup waaay back.. that gave me the same sense of realism back then, and ut gave me the next level up... so on and so on.

Who cares what people play or enjoy, gaming is gaming!?

Ive shown arma to a couple of my friends and their first impression always is how realistic it looks, how big the map is... the coolest part is when a jet flies over which is usually the first unit on the scene with ACM, pretty much they're sold after that... because this game lets us play soldiers :)

Unfortunately im unable to play online, and im worried if i do start playing online then thats it, no more life! this game already eats up most of my free time :D

Edited by Katipo66