Sign in to follow this  
Whoatherefatty

Don't you hate it when you try to spread the word of arma and...

I am reading through this and i have to laugh. The biggest defense i see for Call of duty Modern Warfare 2 is that its close quarters combat is more realistic, i can tell you from being in a war before. Chances are you will never be in a close quarters combat unless if in a city and even then you usually have heavy vehicles with you. Lets say 50 million Russians show up in your city in an hour chances are if your stuck in a building they aren't coming in they will just sit outside and shoot at the building and call in their old friendly battle tanks. But yes there was some times a knife would of been handy in Arma 2 like the time i snuck all the way up the hill behind a player in warfare mode and found out i had no ammo but if it was real life by the time i took out my knife, and tried stabbing him. I still would of probably been dead.

Edited by pviera11

Say what you will about real war but practically every infantry mission I've ever played in OFP, ArmA or Arma2 has had close range combat. No matter if it's PvP or Coop. Things you might know in real life doesn't apply to video games.

Arma2 is also very open to modding. Stabbing, slashing and bayonetting moves might not be very smart against firearms in the modern times, but with black powder weapons things would be very different.

OK lets take the campaign missions from Arma 2 where you had to run through the city and fight, you still weren't close enough to the person to knife them. Usually the shooting took place from 50m-100m away and if you want to run that to them to knife them. Be my guest but you ll be shot down before you do.

Edit: Also from the Close Range Combat Ive seen in Arma 2 is great, if you got enemy in a building most people wouldn't say well I'm going to send my whole team in there, and if you where playing online it would be the same way. This game requires teamwork which usually means your with a team of 4-8 guys maybe more online if you play certain game modes if you rush a building you will all be killed or almost all of you who rushed it. So the best thing to do is sit back, and throw grenades and shoot rockets into it. Also when they add black musket guns then we can talk about having a knife in here, but even then you would be lined up with the rest of your squad shooting at the other one.

Edited by pviera11

I wouldn't mind a knife, depending on how quickly you can use it. There have been a few times where I could've used it to great effect. I don't feel its needed but if they added it I would welcome it. As long as people don't start those stupid "circling knife only fights" like they used to in df2. For those of you who don't know what that was: Essentially it was when you get close enough to each other you are supposed to pull out your knife and try to stab one another. If you don't and you shoot the guy he gets pissed and says "WTF dude, why didn't you pull your knife and fight like a man?" to which one normally replies "Because I still had 15 mags with 30 bullets each in them. Why would I pull a knife?"

So as long as that crap doesn't start happening I am okay with knives and would welcome them.

COD knifing! It definitely aint realistic but it sure feels cool :)

I know the british army still trains its soldiers in the use of the bayonet as a cqb/room clearance device. Its especially useful in making sure that person in the corner you thought you may have killed on the way in with a burst of 5.56 stays down.

I can remember back to the UKF Infantry in OFP that had a scripted bayonet attack that would kick in if you got close enough to the enemy which would definitely come in handy on any afghan map with compound clearance.

Back on topic ... and people keep talking about using knives and bayonets !

I don't know how this turned into a knife debate but I'll throw in my opinion since it's my topic. Marines have a standard issue knife so in a milsim marines probably should have a knife. I think it would have zero effect on gameplay for 99.9% of arma players though as it would never be used.

i know i wouldnt use one

in cqb situations when im out of ammo or my weapen jams,

would be the moment im gonna draw my secondary and double tab a few rounds

into my enemy :)

i think it would be just as fast to reach for my secondary instead of reaching for my knife...

i know i wouldnt use one

in cqb situations when im out of ammo or my weapen jams,

would be the moment im gonna draw my secondary and double tab a few rounds

into my enemy :)

i think it would be just as fast to reach for my secondary instead of reaching for my knife...

And when your secondary runs out?

guys, arma 2 has knifes, just use SLX addon :)

and ye, i think its realistic, also if you have to kill someone without making noise.

Throwing rocks isnt useful to anyone, and throwable rocks are in ArmA 2.

Now please do explain why we cant have bayonets for the 0.1% that is going to use them? :)

In all seriousness though, i would definitely like to have a bayonet in the game. I make missions and most of them use a house patrol script in which it can become very useful to stab someone.

ArmA 2's houses are extremely close quarters, so it actually has a use.

To be honest, I've never ever said "I would've used a knife right now" in Arma 2. Never. Not even in the sneakiest missions available.

A knife would most likely never be used in ArmA 2, as most combat engagements in ArmA 2 happen and take place at medium to long range distances on open fields and in urban streets.

CQB in ArmA 2 is very broken and almost non-existent as the AI could never navigate through the corridors and rooms of a CQB environment. Online, it's another different story.

The only feasable reason I could see for knives and/or hand-to-hand is when the player runs out of ammunition for both his/her primary and secondary weapon. I've had that happen several times to me, especially while playing the Eagle Wing mini-campaign.

As said its because they cant

Rocket jump

jump all over the place

shoot long ranges with out first having to check for wind and distance etc etc.

I love ARMA and ACE2 -xxxx-

Yep, thats my boy. I let him run around in the editor since this is a good excercis for hands-eye-coordination and 3D imagination training...you know, find your way forth and also back in a 3D environment. He already found out how to sit, salute and pass small obstacles. Also reloading, switching weapons and general movements is no problem for him. Last week he started to place other units and also emtpy vehicles.

Last week he was playing and i was sitting on Wife's PC when all of a sudden i heard "2,3,4, are Team yellow...".

Funny is, i never showed him this nor did i use it myself when i was playing and he was watching.

So, please no one ever say to me that ArmA 2 controls are too complicated. Even a 3 year old child can do it.

:D:D

give him 5-6 years and he will be a big problem on MP servers.

My 15 months old son recently hacked my ArmA II for a few minutes :D He bashed his hands on my keyboard and accidently started ArmA II. I started the editor and let him bash the keyboard again and again :) He moved the player figure, he let the figure sit down and stand up multiple times and he even hit the mouse buttons. A whole new community is rising ... arriving in a couple of years :D

hahahaha I let me 5 year old daughter have a go at shooting a few rabbits in arma :) I must be a bad dad :)

At this rate we will have a whole new era of kids kicking our asses soon if we aint carefull

What I suggest is dont let em play our game yes its all good and fun now but when they grow up and can take us out in a second we wont be laughing then.

heheheh na joking lets get em into this type of game I say.

yeah say to her she shot the rabbit thats lying on her plate with christmas eve :D

lol :D:D

thank god they don't, lol. I brought this point up. I said there are children younger than 10 playing cod, gta, halo, bf, etc. It doesn't make them bad games but I've never seen a prepubescent plying arma. Nope, they still say halo is more hardcore because everyone plays it.... As if hardcore and mass appeal go hand in hand in their dillusional minds.

Edit: I just saw the pic. Is that who was owning me last night?

I finished OFP at the age of 9

I know the british army still trains its soldiers in the use of the bayonet as a cqb/room clearance device. Its especially useful in making sure that person in the corner you thought you may have killed on the way in with a burst of 5.56 stays down.

Isn't that against Geneva convention to kill wounded? :rolleyes:

Isn't that against Geneva convention to kill wounded? :rolleyes:

lol, yeah and clearly everyone follows the "rules" in war. I've seen plenty of videos of marines popping downed insurgents in iraq to finish them off. Sometimes it's more humane to kill a mangled body I think. And besides that wounded pile of vomit could be holding a detonating device. Better just kill them and move along.