Sign in to follow this  
Whoatherefatty

Don't you hate it when you try to spread the word of arma and...

and out does arma for realism and immersion in so many ways....

Where did you see realism in COD games? :eek:

Edited by USSRsniper

The guns killed people.

In comparison to Arma 2, they have melee combat, extreme detail in CQB (Arma series doesn't come even close), buckshot shotguns, customizable weapons, unglitched player movement, and getting hit by a 40 mm grenade at point blank range takes you out for the count.

In COD hardcore one or two shots and your dead, ive put 5 - 6 rounds into arma units before they drop!

Now dont get me wrong, i love arma as much as the next cyba warrior, its probably my most favourite game ive ever played... its become my hobby, the missus dont understand when i say "Its not a game" :)

But i also like fast shooters and dont see all of them as dumb! its about out thinking your opponent, sure you can run around like rambo just like you can in arma, but you can also play tactically just like you can in arma... except in a smaller enviroment.

I play both games everyday, and im constantly comparing them to each other, not for the obvious reasons such as game play but more for presentation.

Aside from graphics COD has nothing to do with realism on any aspect. But I agree the graphics ans scripted AI do give a good illusion of realism. None of the game mechanics themselves are actually much more realistic than, say, Unreal Tournament.

If you're getting a "realistic feel" out of COD, you should watch less action movies and talk to some real soldiers. Even the highly-scripted campaign is as realistic as an action movie (minus the fact that friendly soldiers that get shot heal themselves on the spot without doing anything).

Not saying whether MW1/2 is good or not, but bringing it up with realism in the same sentence is as silly as bringing up Unreal Tournament.

You obviously havent really played it! and im talking LAN against mates... playing bots in COD is a non event. and from memory the campaign in arma is just as scripted and unrealistic?

"you should watch less action movies and talk to some real soldiers. Even the highly-scripted campaign is as realistic as an action movie"

because arma gives you more of a "realistic feel" than another game still doesnt make it real... get it, and it dont make you a soldier if you play it!?... they're just games, maybe you should talk to some real soldiers because you dont know who i am or what i do

Everyone needs to go out in public with those Arma 2: Becuase Call of Duty is for Facking Children tee shirts! :D

With my goodluck I convinced 4 people to buy the game.

Its sad though the misconceptions surrounding this game, doing an early release of Arma 2 was the biggest mistake by the publishers, created this nightmare situation.

We need more players damnit!

Who said Arma is real? I'm just saying it's much much much closer to RL than COD will ever be, and a lot of this is based on personal experience. Playing this doesn't make you a soldier, but being an ex-soldier helps in telling which game is actually getting somewhere near being realistic and which game is not even trying.

Who said Arma is real? I'm just saying it's much much much closer to RL than COD will ever be, and a lot of this is based on personal experience. Playing this doesn't make you a soldier, but being an ex-soldier helps in telling which game is actually getting somewhere near being realistic and which game is not even trying.

OK, so in terms of close quarter combat you feel arma is much much much closer to RL than COD?... cool.

Who knows, who cares... just dont like being called juvenile, kid etc because i play a certain game. ive never seen these type of comments on other forums regarding arma players!? shows the level of maturity.

OK, so in terms of close quarter combat you feel arma is much much much closer to RL than COD?... cool.

Who knows, who cares... just dont like being called juvenile, kid etc because i play a certain game. ive never seen these type of comments on other forums regarding arma players!? shows the level of maturity.

COD doesn't do anything special in terms of CQB realism. Heck MW2 doesn't even have leaning. Just because the game has smoother controls doesn't make it more realistic for CQB, especially when the "smoother" controls are actually a result of having the ability to make unrealistic moves (instant run, overall super-fast movement with weapon up, extremely fast animations for just about anything, etc). Sure CQB in Arma 2 needs work, but not in the realism department, and more in the bug fixing / collision detection department.

I didn't call you anything, but comparing the amount of kids who play COD vs Arma does mean *something*.

Dude, like i say, reading those comments i dont think you really played it, granted its got unrealistic gun switching and the ballistics are no where near real but if anything i feel they got movement down perfect, theres nothing overly unrealistic, probably being able to climb certain places... but things like being affected by stamina, smoke, flash bang... being hit are done perfect, anyway i digress.

Im not here praising the game for being anywhere near a milsim in any way, i have these same debates with those (30 - 40yo) kids saying how intense and rewarding arma can be... and like i say, arma is the game for me.

Yes the comparison does mean something, but maybe not what you are thinking :)

I'm more saddened when I get lumped into the "gamer" crowd.

The problems I usually encounter when trying to get people to play it is that they´re put off by the clunky animation/movement system, the AI, or the fact that, as some people explained to me, Arma 2 isn´t even a game, but a toolbox that happened to be shipped with some preset Units and a Campaign, leaving everything up to the community (I thought that was the point?). Another problem to them always is the interface, which I can agree is pretty unintuitive to the newcomer. After playing OFP/Arma for 9 years, only when Arma 2 arrived I really figured out how groups work, and what the "advance" and "Flank" commands really do (and that for the things they do, they´re mislabeled).

It´s either those things, or the performance. Bugs, not so much. And while the Story of the Campaign isn´t coming across so well because of the at times awkward voice acting, and the fact that the characters you play are complete heros who never have to fell any moral choice of impact during the campaign (at least not that I encountered), it´s still far better than that of the COD, which has apparently been dragged out of a hole by the hair, beaten with a rubber baton and then told to sit straight.

At least Arma 2 isn´t -completely- taking itself seriously (just look at Eagle Wing), but trying to have FUN while still dancing on the ledge to being (to the normal gamer) a hardcore, realistic battlefield simulator.

To get back to the topic, I think the biggest downsides of the game are that you need to learn of the community to really enjoy it, the clunky animation and movement system and the somewhat outdated and cluttered interfaces.

Once you get over that, though, you can really feel that it´s the successor to the best game in the world.

Cheers

Insta

One say he'd prefer blondes, another says no, better go for brunettes and a third jumps in and says nothing beats a redhaired chick.

You know what? They're all right....from theyr point of view. It is called "personal preferences".

Why in the hell has it to be different when it comes to games?

One says ArmA 2 is entertaining because it needs a lot more time, tactics and slow-paced advancing. Another one says CoD is entertaining because of it's action and the Hollywood-like feeling.

You know what? They are both right. It depends on how ones defines "entertaining". Do i have to call Captain Obvious in?

Do you really belive that a Hardcore Football Fan could find to watch a round of Chess also entertaining? Makes that one Game better than the other? I don't think so, Tim.

You see the same in Movies. Fast paced action movies attracts the biggest public. F*** realism as long it is entertaining. One pretty good example: Armageddon and Deep Impact. Both movies covering the same scenario (Earth hit by stellar object). One movie was fast-paced popcorn cinema at it's finest, the other one goin for realism and being believable, showing the tragedies behind all decisions and actions that had to be made. Guess which movie was more successful? Does this make the other movie worse? Still don't think so, Tim.

So please stop this "my game is better than your game" discussion as there wont be a winner anytime.

ArmA 2 is different. Nothing more to say.

And on a sidenote:

It's a game. It doesn't make you a better person..

Due to ArmA 2 i've learned to script, to fiddle with configs (could call this "programming" in widest terms), to create 3D models and to do textures. As learning, no matter what, will make a person better than before......it made me a better person then. ;)

One say he'd prefer blondes, another says no, better go for brunettes and a third jumps in and says nothing beats a redhaired chick.

I take all of them :cool: Relating to ArmA II that means in this game you can have everything you want - world war 2, modern combat, middle age, you can go PvP, coop, real time strategy, you can even create own multiplayer game modes. ArmA II is not only one bitch, it's a bunch of bitches just waiting for the user :)

Note: Again I am not talking about how good/bad or how entertaining/not entertaining COD is. I'm just referring to the realism levels.

Someone actually bothered and recreate the MW2 training level in real life and let a professional soldier run through it!

jD4kuHR3JOE

Now the soldier did a bit over 40 seconds while the game did a bit over 30. But of course the soldier is a pro while the gamer is not - A quick search on youtube found a guy who has a record of 16 (!) seconds:

iULuBXE-qHQ

So basically in MW2 you can do things twice as fast as you can do IRL, comparing pros to pros.

Now someone needs to create that level for Arma 2 so we can have a full comparison ;)

I take all of them :cool: Relating to ArmA II that means in this game you can have everything you want - world war 2, modern combat, middle age, you can go PvP, coop, real time strategy, you can even create own multiplayer game modes. ArmA II is not only one bitch, it's a bunch of bitches just waiting for the user :)

We've all heard that one before. Of course it's possible to mod almost anything into the game, but if I wanted to play a medieval fight in Arma 2 RIGHT NOW for example, will I be able to do it? Will I be able to download a fully functional WW2 mod and experience a campaign that makes Call of Duties and Medals of Honor pointless? No, I can't do any of that. I can try to mod them for the next few years but as we've seen how Invasion 44 started in OFP and still isn't done, it might be a better idea to just play Call of Duty 1, 2 or 5, and a bit of Mount & Blade.

Damn! we play COD everyday after work on LAN, 3 - 4 maps... nothing serious, its just a great way to end the day, then its off home to arma for me, because i play both games everyday im always comparing them to each other, usually arma comes out on top through my comparisons.

my whole point was i that im sick off seeing the "Its for kids" comments and so felt i need to take it to task, but realize its not worth the time.

Onwards and upwards :)

This title is so a facebook fan page haha...

Myke, I hope you aren't talking to me because I made it clear I'm not trashing anything and I'm definitely not using the word 'hardcore' to mean superior. The whole inspiration for this topic was a conversation I had with a halo/cod fan on a perfect dark message board. So it's not like I'm trolling a cod board and yelling arma is better. They said something about how cod is really hardcore because on veteran it's hard. I said I don't see hard as hardcore, I see hardcore as a game that has so much depth to it you can spend months trying to wrap your head around it.

@Whoatherefatty

calm down, i was speaking to everyone, had no particular person in mind when i wrote my lines. :D

well said InstaGoat...

but i also like COD MW campaign tought it was pretty nice game but...

the MP gameplay isnt made for me its like run n gunning, kill 50 dudes die 30 times kind of gameplay.

the problem is after a while u stop thinking and everything goes automatic except i think they did the movement pretty good u can move extremely fast specialy indoors and thats something i like abouth that game if only arma2 could perform like that (indoors)

but u cant compare apples with eggs....:)