Sign in to follow this  
Whoatherefatty

Don't you hate it when you try to spread the word of arma and...

You're met with everything from:

"Why don't you enlist when if you want that?"

"X generic shooter sold X amount of copies, how many did arma sell?"

then I explain how the depth alienates some but rewards others in a way no game has. Then I get:

"X space shooter is pretty hardcore too, ever play on legendary?"

then I say it's not about 'hard' it's about nuance and we go back to:

"Why don't you enlist if you're so hardcore?"

and I say I'm not! It's the game that's hardcore.

Rinse repeate. If they don't wanna learn I can't teach them.

ArmA can't compete with the amount of Mindless Sheep that are playing Call of Duty and such. Especially with the console kiddies flooding the market.

ArmA actually requires THINKING, you can't just run out and gun down 100 people. Thus that drives away about 95% of it's potential customers (And that's probably a good thing, the less clueless players the better)

Quality over Quantity.

So true ... if I name ArmA somewhere, what do I get? "It's so bugged, skip it!" :( I then counter "Name me 20 bugs!". Usually discussion is over at that point. Seriously, most people don't know how to play ArmA. But it's so easy, even a child can play ArmA ....

Lolz @Legislator. I know what you mean. And for the rest of you, here's the prove for Legislators statement:

372-baby-can-play-arma2.jpg

But it's so easy, even a child can play ArmA ....

thank god they don't, lol. I brought this point up. I said there are children younger than 10 playing cod, gta, halo, bf, etc. It doesn't make them bad games but I've never seen a prepubescent plying arma. Nope, they still say halo is more hardcore because everyone plays it.... As if hardcore and mass appeal go hand in hand in their dillusional minds.

Edit: I just saw the pic. Is that who was owning me last night?

Edited by Whoatherefatty

thank god they don't, lol. I brought this point up. I said there are children younger than 10 playing cod, gta, halo, bf, etc. It doesn't make them bad games but I've never seen a prepubescent plying arma. Nope, they still say halo is more hardcore because everyone plays it.... As if hardcore and mass appeal go hand in hand in their dillusional minds.

Edit: I just saw the pic. Is that who was owning me last night?

Probably if it was a private servers...he denies to play public...too childish he says ;)

:EDITH:

for the record: 3yrs and 4 month, runs around in editor, nothing he can shoot at than some house windows. And they'll also not shoot back.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Probably if it was a private servers...he denies to play public...too childish he says ;)

:EDITH:

for the record: 3yrs and 4 month, runs around in editor, nothing he can shoot at than some house windows. And they'll also not shoot back.

That's your boy? Thats cute. I gotta raise my kids on arma. Lol.

Yep, thats my boy. I let him run around in the editor since this is a good excercis for hands-eye-coordination and 3D imagination training...you know, find your way forth and also back in a 3D environment. He already found out how to sit, salute and pass small obstacles. Also reloading, switching weapons and general movements is no problem for him. Last week he started to place other units and also emtpy vehicles.

Last week he was playing and i was sitting on Wife's PC when all of a sudden i heard "2,3,4, are Team yellow...".

Funny is, i never showed him this nor did i use it myself when i was playing and he was watching.

So, please no one ever say to me that ArmA 2 controls are too complicated. Even a 3 year old child can do it.

lol, i was about 5 when wolf 3d came out and I remember the pure joy of wakling around a 3d enviornment on my uncles pc. I can't imagine how exciting that must be for a young one today with this technology.

I work on a computer help support desk. Seriously, you would understand the dumbing down of gaming if you ever listen to these morons for more than 10 seconds. We have to open ports for Xbox360/PS3/Wii all day long. You should hear these people, nearly half brain dead. They mention they play MW2 and they are going to have a coronary if they can't get the ports open. These people are totally incapable of understanding even the slightest nuance to Arma2. It's pathetic.

Luhgnut;1597596']I work on a computer help support desk. Seriously' date=' you would understand the dumbing down of gaming if you ever listen to these morons for more than 10 seconds. We have to open ports for Xbox360/PS3/Wii all day long. You should hear these people, nearly half brain dead. They mention they play MW2 and they are going to have a coronary if they can't get the ports open. These people are totally incapable of understanding even the slightest nuance to Arma2. It's pathetic.[/quote']

To be fair I didn't even understand ports at all until I studied it in A-Level computing, network theory is especially dense compared to most other parts of computers

When I do chat about a game like ArmA I generally just focus on it being a good laugh online and remembering the stunt videos we made back in OFP :rolleyes:

Yep, thats my boy. I let him run around in the editor since this is a good excercis for hands-eye-coordination and 3D imagination training...you know, find your way forth and also back in a 3D environment. He already found out how to sit, salute and pass small obstacles. Also reloading, switching weapons and general movements is no problem for him. Last week he started to place other units and also emtpy vehicles.

Last week he was playing and i was sitting on Wife's PC when all of a sudden i heard "2,3,4, are Team yellow...".

Funny is, i never showed him this nor did i use it myself when i was playing and he was watching.

So, please no one ever say to me that ArmA 2 controls are too complicated. Even a 3 year old child can do it.

im also sometimes suprised wat a jong kid is capable of

i realy understand wat your saying abouth your kiddo playing in the editor

back in the time of americas army 2 i played it allot with some friends of mine when my daughter at that time was at the same age as your son is now, she was realy interested in playing AA2 so i let her play sometimes untill the day she started singin: when i see u i will kill you,...when i see u i will kill you..

thats when i start thinking thats enough no more killing nasty tangos for her...

she's just like her dad :)

"Don't you hate it when"...people tell you your real speaking voice sounds like OFP AI....

Happened to me recently on the TaleWorlds forum :o

ARMA2 is the Thinking Man's game.

For that matter so was OFP and Arma...

"Thinking Man's" - I wonder how many, if ANY Arma2 players are females?

If all we get is dumbed down gaming when it comes to mainstream then that is all the majority of people are going to relate to. We need to make intelligent and clever gaming mainstream again and that way we'll get more and more people into it. Look at the fucking Wii, I know retards may scoff at the graphics quality but the mere fact there's a slight bit of genious to it has even managed to get GIRLS to play lmao.

What you guys don't seem to understand is that games like CoD, BF, Halo, etc. are easy to play. You just click on the game icon, join a server and you're instantly in the action.

It's great for "young adults" *cough* to quickly play during a break or after finishing homework. Not everybody wants to sit down and plan a whole battle while looking through binoculars for the perfect moment to attack.

I'll give you a real example. My sister and I sometimes play CoD or BF together. They're games you can pick up and play immediately. Games are meant to be fun, they don't have to be competitive but everybody makes them. So if you lose you get raged at. My 15 year old sister likes playing CoD4 and CoD-WaW with me, we'll take turns each time somebody gets killed. Sometimes we'll see who can get the coolest kill or the funniest death.

My point is, 10-16 year olds don't always want to have to drive 5km to get to a town. I enjoy Call of Duty, Battlefield and many other games I own. I can adapt depending on my schedule and my mood.

Consoles are popular for that very reason. You pop the CD in and play. So when you're home on your quick 12 o'clock lunch break you can get a quick round of CoD or BF going. This simplicity is good, but the problem is it also attracts the stupid morons and arseholes.

All of that being said, I love ArmA 2 more than any other game I posses.

Oh and try playing David Craig - Insomniac with your bass on the max while driving a HMMWV around in Warfare. Make sure to bob your mouse so your head bobs with the music. I've had some fun fun times and accidents just listening to music and goofing off. ArmA 2 doesn't have to be uber-serious-100%-war-hardcore-death-uber-whatever.

If all we get is dumbed down gaming when it comes to mainstream then that is all the majority of people are going to relate to. We need to make intelligent and clever gaming mainstream again and that way we'll get more and more people into it.

The companies that develop/publish those games would louse 70 % ? of their buyers ... . The only way good oll' thinking games would get mainstream again is if an totalitarian regime falls over the world and the leader has a thing for complex/smart PC games :j:

Look at the fucking Wii, I know retards may scoff at the graphics quality but the mere fact there's a slight bit of genius to it has even managed to get GIRLS to play lmao.

Maybe BIS develops fArmA for the Wii , who knows ... :p

Trying "infuse" ArmA into the mainstream is a monumental effort . We would have to scrape through years of "brainwashing" . Until then let's enjoy the sight/sound of every under 16 year old that says Arma 2 is better then other " award winning" run n' gun FPS and also plays it properly .

My 2 cents

My point is, 10-16 year olds don't always want to have to drive 5km to get to a town. I enjoy Call of Duty, Battlefield and many other games I own. I can adapt depending on my schedule and my mood.

Consoles are popular for that very reason. You pop the CD in and play. So when you're home on your quick 12 o'clock lunch break you can get a quick round of CoD or BF going. This simplicity is good, but the problem is it also attracts the stupid morons and arseholes.

So maybe it's better to develop two games - one simple CoD/BF-style and other seruous for older players, isn't it? Because trying to make ArmA series suitable both for teens and 20+ y.o. players will only make the game worse.

Come on dudes, you don't have to be so blatantly elitist about it.

It's a game. It doesn't make you a better person..

well it kind of does really.. BUT THAT'S NOT MY POINT! I have a huge group of gamer friends and half of them love it. The others are def. impressed by the depth, freedom and modability but they don't like the way it 'feels' and I must admit it takes a bit of dedication to allow Arma to show it's true potential and see beyond the clunky movement and general unfriendlyness.

Unfortunately not all people are as patient as me and my Arma friends are.

Arma is a harsh mistress. Even configuring controls for the first time is a huge pain in the arse! It was for me and I am a seasoned Operation Flashpoint Veteran.

The average gamer doesn't understand why there are so many different controls for the same function.

Take foreward for example. You have forward, slow foreward, fast forward, sprint, thrust (for planes), vehicle forward, command forward... then you have a 5 different keys for the crouch/prone/stand up functions where in COD you just have a change stance key. Then you have normal view, zoom view, optics view, zoom plus optics view, free look, toggle free look as well as map, clock, GPS, nightvision, headlights, salute, sit, lower weapon, dodge, step over...

I wish I could transfer all my Arma knowledge to them automatically so they are able to see what makes the Arma series so good.

Take a look at Lock On key controls list:) Then ArmA controls wouldn't look like pain in the arse!

ArmA can't compete with the amount of Mindless Sheep that are playing Call of Duty and such. Especially with the console kiddies flooding the market.

ArmA actually requires THINKING, you can't just run out and gun down 100 people. Thus that drives away about 95% of it's potential customers (And that's probably a good thing, the less clueless players the better)

Quality over Quantity.

These comments make me sick! i play COD also and its a friggn excellent game, it aint mindless its just fast paced and requires "Quick" thinking... and out does arma for realism and immersion in so many ways.... the only real thing that separates arma from the rest are the big open worlds, drivable vehicles and the modding community.

They're just games mate, me playing one doesnt make me any more of a soldier than you playing another makes you a "console kiddie"

But my whole point in posting, and I made this clear, was not to slam other more simplistic games. Someone said something about cod being hardcore and I said well actually, there aren't any hardcore fps games on console. I got flamed(of course) and was asked what I defined as hardcore. I said arma and posted a video. They weren't buying it and took me as an elitist. I said hardcore doesn't mean better, just way more depth and authenticity to the way a battle actually plays out. They said it was slow and boring. Oh, and I should enlist. Lol.

I think the whole idea of someone being a 'hardcore' gamer is a load of bs, there is no such thing, anyone claiming themselves hardcore because of a game has likely got some serious arrogance going. The idea of a game is to have fun, that's why it's called a freaking game, and any perfectly intelligent non-brainwashed person will tell you anyway that just because you completed a game on the hardest difficulty setting doesn't make you skilled in any way because most of the time all the developers do is tweak with your and the enemies health settings and the amount of enemies you have to face.

People like that are dolts and they shouldn't be bothered with if you can avoid it, there are billions more people out there in the world and if we can't convince a couple of million I don't really consider it a huge loss to begin with. You just have to change the marketing strategy.

But my whole point in posting, and I made this clear, was not to slam other more simplistic games. Someone said something about cod being hardcore and I said well actually, there aren't any hardcore fps games on console. I got flamed(of course) and was asked what I defined as hardcore. I said arma and posted a video. They weren't buying it and took me as an elitist. I said hardcore doesn't mean better, just way more depth and authenticity to the way a battle actually plays out. They said it was slow and boring. Oh, and I should enlist. Lol.

Whoa there fatty! We didn't say anything about you.

Sorry I couldn't resist.. :)