Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Fence Generator preview

Really really awesome! Alone your GUI is far better than the whole Visitor! You know, your small preview window there is something that LACKS...cause it is stupid to be not knowing what you place on the map and always having to look in Bulldozer...

Say, Do you have an integrated p3d-viewer for that? or did u just paste pictures from the catalogue into the editor for the default objects?

Hi ZeroG. I should admit i've had the temptation to enter into p3d objects world (mainly to automatically retrieve object sizes) but i've thought there will be a major delay on program release, so i've choosed another way: every user that will make his own template with standard objects (or even personalized and downloadable objects) can share it to the community (i admit, i don't know how we can share those files, but we can think something :) ). In this way, if everyone will share his part of work, we will easily reach a complete list of ArmA2 objects.

The program itself can import only new objects or rewrite existing objects. New objects are distinguished from actual objects in template by checking their unique identifier (this allow you to avoid re-import standard objects released with version 1.2) but also will skip objects that have the same description AND name for Visitor3 export.

Anyway if there are DLL's or other routines that allow you to read P3D files... i'm there :)

The pictures are easily importable into program. A screenshot taken on your window is automatically detected by the program when you click on the picture box in edit-mode, so filling this will be really fast (i hope).

Thank you for your appreciation ;)

Daniele / Shezan74

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:45 PM ----------

"Placement position relocation to start separate structures virtually in every place of the map"

Say for my instance i'm making compounds, so it is possible to make more than one compound rather than just one at a time?? is that what it means?

Actually there are no "macro" functions to place a large number of objects into the map. It was on my tought but not for this release. It will require small coding but a relatively big configuration structure (except in the case we will use a small (easy) custom scripting language, that could be a solution, but must be "digested" by users...) :)

Anyway, when you place first object of your new compound, with the desired direction, by clicking on the 360° button set you can create a new compound with a click for every segment.

Placement relocation means you can place a compount in a point of the map, then click in another point of the map and start again.

Creating a "U" shaped compound of 6x6 meters with a sandbag object that is 3 meters long means a digit on a box for initial direction, a click on the map for initial point and 6 fast clicks on program 360° panel coordinate.

Macro will be a future improvement... now my efforts will start on placing those damn trees and vegetations on the map...

Thank you for this and seriously thanks! It will help alot of people. and I just saved me some time just now;) with this program. Good work man

Hello, serious to ask much if you can do a video soon using the tool and passing it to the visitor? I do not find out to me don't mention it :(

Hello, serious to ask much if you can do a video soon using the tool and passing it to the visitor? I do not find out to me don't mention it :(

Azz... making a video it's not my speciality but i can try to do something...

Where you have troubles in using FG? can i help you?

by the way if the problem is passing object to V3 you should do those steps:

1) create your work :D

2) click on Export and create an export file

3) open Visitor3

4) on Menu -> scripts Add the script named "Import Objects" (will be found into Visitor3\scripts folder)

5) be sure every object is already on your map object list (artificial or natural) and your object name (the one that you can rename) matches with the name you set as object type into Fence Generator and you can see into exported file (open it with notepad to check)

6) click on IMPORT button of the script, after selecting your exported file

7) check the results and make changes, if needed, by Visitor3 or by recreating/fixing on Fence Generator.

That's all

Edited by shezan74

Shezan,

concerning object templates and p3d u might wanna look into the PboDll project at DevHeaven:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll

Those are imho THE BEST tools for looking into the special BI files...and might be an inspiration/toolbox for a skilled tool-developer like you ovisously seem to be :)

In addition, you could also open your own project there, as all other skilled editors find themselves in in this system...maybe, connected with Leopotam and Homer Johnston, this will be the beginning of a whole new map-making toolset?!

Take Care

Edited by ZeroG

Shezan,

concerning object templates and p3d u might wanna look into the PboDll project at DevHeaven:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll

In addition, you could also open your own project there, as all other skilled editors find themselves in in this system...maybe, connected with Leopotam and Homer Johnston, this will be the beginning of a whole new map-making toolset?!

Take Care

I knows well mikero tools, they're a must-have for each addon maker :)

I will look into those tools to check if there is something useful to be used in FG (should be the best evolution for this small tool).

I'm thinking about opening something on Dev-Heaven, mainly for bugtracking issues. I will probably do something on this site when i will have something better than the actual forest generator scratch.

Have a nice day ;)

Azz... making a video it's not my speciality but i can try to do something...

Where you have troubles in using FG? can i help you?

by the way if the problem is passing object to V3 you should do those steps:

1) create your work :D

2) click on Export and create an export file

3) open Visitor3

4) on Menu -> scripts Add the script named "Import Objects" (will be found into Visitor3\scripts folder)

5) be sure every object is already on your map object list (artificial or natural) and your object name (the one that you can rename) matches with the name you set as object type into Fence Generator and you can see into exported file (open it with notepad to check)

6) click on IMPORT button of the script, after selecting your exported file

7) check the results and make changes, if needed, by Visitor3 or by recreating/fixing on Fence Generator.

That's all

:D thank you very much, that needed to know jajajaja, excuses, but my English is too bad: p.

I already am clear. ;)

:D thank you very much, that needed to know jajajaja, excuses, but my English is too bad: p.

I already am clear. ;)

No problem, my fault, i assumed everyone knows how import/export from V3 but it's not a necessary skill. If you need something i'm there (and waiting for your map results, that are the last scope of this software :) )

Some hints i just discovered by using FG on my own map.

I'm placing powerlines (high voltage)

Objects used are:

"ca\misc\sloup_vn" that are the towers, with those parameters:

Direction = 90

size = 0,001 meters (0 is not allowed, will be fixed in the next version). Visualization will show 0,0

"ca\misc\sloup_vn_drat" that are cables, with those parameters:

Direction = 90

size = 99,6 meters

This size has been made due to visualization glitches when you make turns. the cables that are on the external side of the turn will appears detached from the insulators with cable real size (100 meters). This size is a good compromise for turns and straight cables too (with a small detachment but hard to see).

Another small hint is to have turns not more than 10 degrees for segment, and to have this placement order:

es. facing 90°

tower facing 90°

cable facing 90°

tower facing 90°

cable facing 80°

So start turn AFTER you have placed a tower and not before, by start turning the tower.

Next version will support function buttons too. You can assign to your favorite items a fast select button, to avoid the "select cable, direction, select tower, direction, select cable, direction, ..." but: F1, direction, F2, directiom that will be faster and will be useful for making compounds more easily and probably a feature to place 2 objects in a single click (cables and structure, for example).

Another hint for placing powerlines:

you must be aware of roads when placing powerline's tower. So export your Visitor3 Map with all objects shown then convert the EMF file to bmp and use it as Fence Generator background.

It works well... i'm placing several km of powerlines in half an hour... :)

here 2 screenshots from Fenge Generator and Visitor3 (white line in Visitor is the pink line on Fence Generator)

powerline_v3.gif

powerline_FG.gif

Edited by shezan74

is that possible to load into this tool "objects database" from an existing island?

Objet database fron an island will means only the objecr description like ca/misc/objname so it's not useful imho due need to insert object size and native directio that are not retrievable from v3.

I'm thinking about a feature for importing object definitions from string instead the binaryzed version that is used in software, to allow easy import from forum post or other sources without needs to provide an export file to download.

Ciao

Objet database fron an island will means only the objecr description like ca/misc/objname so it's not useful imho due need to insert object size and native directio that are not retrievable from v3.

I'm thinking about a feature for importing object definitions from string instead the binaryzed version that is used in software, to allow easy import from forum post or other sources without needs to provide an export file to download.

Ciao

ок

this is great tool for the districts creation too

Next version will support macro's for automated compound creation. This feature could be used (in my intentions) to semi-automate village/districts creation.

Actually i'm spending more time in creating my tools for the new island i'm making thank making the island itself... :)