wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

My action menu appears only over the cursor as opposed to only on the left of the screen. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Hello I have just started playing arma 2. I have been told that I have command of a transport helo. I have figured out how to get my squad to enter and leave, and I have figured out how to get the chopper to go somewhere on the map to pick us up. What I can't seem to figure out is how to make the chopper take my men somewhere on the map. I have done the training, maybe I missed something. How do I do this?

Thanks

Hi guys! I am "dare I say?" a noob to ARMA2 CO. Just recently brought it from Good old Games in a sale. Best move I made, now that I know it runs "ok" on my spec.

I had Arma 2 free for a bit but got sick with the limitations so eventually got CO instead.

Anyway, my question is this.

Am I supposed to dis-enable addons for me to play on that server and only have the required ones for it?

I've had a headache figuring out the mods and where to put them blahblahblah, but I've got them sorted and enabled in game now. I have used the six updater to get them also. I need a bit of advice though when using them for MP.

I read the thread about the easy way of installing mods etc, that helped me out loads, but I have only put in :

ACE

ACEX

CBA

CBA_A2

CBA_OA

extras for personal play are this:

RH_helisound_mod_1.02

BB_oa_mercs

Kyo_MH47Ev1.1

Littlebird

McTierOne

SASmod

I'm a little vague on this whole add-on business when hooking up to a server. I know that a lot of them require add-ons to be able to play them, but with the extras that I have I am not sure if I can keep them there and not worry about them being a problem??

cheers

Spooky

Am I supposed to dis-enable addons for me to play on that server and only have the required ones for it?

Yes, if a server requires, and runs only ACE then you need to be using ACE or you will get kicked from the server.

However CBA,CBA_A2,CBA_OA are required for ACE anyways.

To disable an addon, just dont have it in your target line when you launch.

I'm a little vague on this whole add-on business when hooking up to a server. I know that a lot of them require add-ons to be able to play them, but

with the extras that I have I am not sure if I can keep them there and not worry about them being a problem??

With that list you have the only thing that will work on the server is the sound mod, the others are units, and unless a server has those units in the mission/s its running they wont be used even if you had them running.

As long as you have what the server requires (same version, and mod setup) you should have no issues, but as said above any added content wont be seen in the mission.

Terminology for you:

theres various types of files: 2 basic ones

addon= these can be anything that add units, vehicles, planes, ect,. to your game, they can also be features, or functions added to your game.

Features and functions are universal which means you should be able to join any server with those files, but for addons that add units and such to the game,

you wont see those in a mission unless the mission on the server has those units. If they are required and you dont ahve them , you wont be able to join.

Mods= are the same concept, but mods add alot of functionality, and features as well as units, they are the more larger aspect of what an addon is.

mods are generally total conversion of your game, some arn't, all depends.

Hi guys! I am "dare I say?" a noob to ARMA2 CO. Just recently brought it from Good old Games in a sale. Best move I made, now that I know it runs "ok" on my spec.

I had Arma 2 free for a bit but got sick with the limitations so eventually got CO instead.

cheers

Spooky

i would recommend for you to stay away from ace if you are still new, use only sound an eye candy mod like JSRS and Blastcore for now. Most online public servers allow this mod. Use vanilla if you are still looking for a serve rthat suits you. Once you found one that you like, look up for their forum. Usually they will have a list of mods allowed on their servers.

When you want more realism, then start using ACE. Then it's already time to join a clan/group for a much better online experience.

i would recommend for you to stay away from ace if you are still new, use only sound an eye candy mod like JSRS and Blastcore for now. Most online public servers allow this mod. Use vanilla if you are still looking for a serve rthat suits you. Once you found one that you like, look up for their forum. Usually they will have a list of mods allowed on their servers.

When you want more realism, then start using ACE. Then it's already time to join a clan/group for a much better online experience.

cheers guys I'll take heed on your advice there. I joined the TWC website and had a game on their public server last night. My god what an experience that was !lol!

Jesse ventura was sat in front of me in the helo, pointing his minigun at me, and actually called me a slack jawed faggot! lol! I felt well outta my depth in that game last night.

I find though there isn't that many servers that have vanilla games running for me to join, they are all either DAY friggin Z (just toooo many of them thats all) or the games require the mods to be able to play them.

But first impressions of using the ACE packs etc are pretty good, I had an issue with comms, I couldn't seem to hear very well unless I was actually looking at the person talking. I had a lot of background noise like helos etc, so the mission briefing consisted of "we are going to get dropped of at (helo enters) whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop". Then we are going to lay up at "whoopwhoop whoopwhoopwhoop whooop". Has everybody got that?

Man I felt like a lemon, never said anything, then came the best bit, I got lost in the field like I tit! My squad had disappeared I couldn't hear shit, didn't know how to contact them aswell as think can they actually here me from where I was. So I left the game, came back on later and literally two minutes later the game ended. Fucking brilliant. lmao!

cheers guys I'll take heed on your advice there. I joined the TWC website and had a game on their public server last night. My god what an experience that was !lol!

Jesse ventura was sat in front of me in the helo, pointing his minigun at me, and actually called me a slack jawed faggot! lol! I felt well outta my depth in that game last night.

I find though there isn't that many servers that have vanilla games running for me to join, they are all either DAY friggin Z (just toooo many of them thats all) or the games require the mods to be able to play them.

But first impressions of using the ACE packs etc are pretty good, I had an issue with comms, I couldn't seem to hear very well unless I was actually looking at the person talking. I had a lot of background noise like helos etc, so the mission briefing consisted of "we are going to get dropped of at (helo enters) whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop". Then we are going to lay up at "whoopwhoop whoopwhoopwhoop whooop". Has everybody got that?

Man I felt like a lemon, never said anything, then came the best bit, I got lost in the field like I tit! My squad had disappeared I couldn't hear shit, didn't know how to contact them aswell as think can they actually here me from where I was. So I left the game, came back on later and literally two minutes later the game ended. Fucking brilliant. lmao!

I think you cant hear him because you are not listening to him using the radio, the one that you heard is direct talk. It's the one which you can hear enemy player talking if you are close enough. I havent played with mod for a while so i forgot the radio mod name, my guess is they are using that maybe. But yeah, playing with a group gives you a different experience.

But you can still find vanilla warfare servers for public on each continent, Australia have GON server, Europe XR server and etc that's bound to have players playing on it unless it's sleeping hour.

Load up vanilla and play around with the filter and sort using ping, that will usually point you to nearest warfare server easily.

Hey felllas,

I'm new to Arma 2, love the game so far. I've been doing research on here and youtube but i can't find my answer. My question is:

1. How can i customize my "profiles" character's: face / uniform / eyewear / helmet.?

(I downloaded a US Milticam soilder file from here and added it to my addon section and enable it, but it didn't come up in my profile. So what is it that i need to do to allow me to custom make my profile character?)

I've seen a video that it could be done, but it didn't show me how to do it and where to get the files.

Thanks for any help.

I think you cant hear him because you are not listening to him using the radio, the one that you heard is direct talk. It's the one which you can hear enemy player talking if you are close enough. I havent played with mod for a while so i forgot the radio mod name, my guess is they are using that maybe. But yeah, playing with a group gives you a different experience.

But you can still find vanilla warfare servers for public on each continent, Australia have GON server, Europe XR server and etc that's bound to have players playing on it unless it's sleeping hour.

Load up vanilla and play around with the filter and sort using ping, that will usually point you to nearest warfare server easily.

thanks for the info Gunso, I'll check them out some time.

Edited by SpookyGnu

1 - I bought Arma II long ago and have pulled it out of the box just recently, so I am way behind. I see all the add ons and am interested in doing some adding on and taking part in some of the onlines games and such. However from what I can find on the net, it is a download version that I must do (I am Canadian and there is nothing in Canada DVD to purchase). So if I remember correctly Combined Operations is the first package I have to have, one must have it to use Operation Arrowhead. But to buy this online it looks to only come as a bundle - Arma II and Combined Operations. I already own Arma II. Bottom line - is there a stand alone add on of Combined Operations or am I going to be forced to buy both? If I am forced to buy both, is it best to uninstall my DVD version of Arma II and use the bundle?

2 - The CHAT application on this forum, is it not used? CHAT would be great, it is always nice to CHAT directly with folks who know the program, one is able to expand on their thoughts and ideas. However I have tried several times and although there is a good listing of folks supposedly in that chat room, the screen is blank and nobody ever answers anything? I find it a funny thing, back in the 80s and 90s chat rooms where so common and worked fairly well. Not so much in this new future.

I have see this on youtube with people play and they can look around with thier head only very new to the game any help would be wonderful thanks

Hi, welcome to BIS forums.

What your talking about is called freelook.

Go to your controls under options and look for freelook, and then setup the control if you want to use that key.

Press the key for freelook to turn it on and then press it again to turn it off.

Also there are by default the number pad keys (right side of keyboard) that are use if you press them and hold them down you will look in those directions,

so for example the number 6 key you will look right, with the 9 key you will look partially right, with the 4 key you will look left, with the 1 key you will look over your shoulder.

hope that helps.

Press the key for freelook to turn it on and then press it again to turn it off.

People actually toggle it? I always hold the key so my view snaps back when i release it.

(@Tonka: Default is alt, though the videos you are talking about may have people using trackIR, which tracks your head movements and translates them ingame, no buttons involved)

People actually toggle it? I always hold the key so my view snaps back when i release it.

People? Well i toggle it, never had issues with it, either way, toggle it, hold it down, whatever works best for you.

I do agree though he may be referring to trackIR, that would prob be the better way to look around then freelook, of course you need to buy trackIR.

Okay well thank you very much for the help one more question I have. When you log on to the server and start playing with other people and spend well hours on a mission. I want to leave the game and i hit escape and then I disconnect from that server I have freezing issues and I have to hold my computer restart button and this is not cool I don't understand this. I bought this game on bohemia Interactive and used sprocket to install Arma 2 and Arma 2 operation arrowhead. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:45 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Thank you for breaking that down for me I will have to give that a shot and see if i like that ability.

People? Well i toggle it, never had issues with it, either way, toggle it, hold it down, whatever works best for you.

I wasnt judging you, just suprised. ;)

Toggle doesn't sound like a bad idea, has anyone ever held down ALT while giving unit #4 a command and caused the ARMA to close? :16_6_8:

Toggle doesn't sound like a bad idea, has anyone ever held down ALT while giving unit #4 a command and caused the ARMA to close? :16_6_8:

THey fixed that though, alt+F4 now only works when you have a menu open. :)

Freelook, I have this and walking assigned to the two buttons on the side of my mouse, easy and very quick to use, just click in and click out.;)

Well I've been avoiding it since the first instance lol. Game menu?

Yeah, the main menu when you start op the game, the menu that pops up when you pres ESC, the editor, you know.. ;)

I wasnt judging you, just suprised.

Judging? i didn't feel judged, I questioned your use of the word people which made no sense as I was the only poster

there suggesting the use of the toggle freelook.

No pun intented but i think you need to work on better proper use of English words and when to use them,

as the only time you would use the word people is if you have a few posters your referring to.

Freelook, I have this and walking assigned to the two buttons on the side of my mouse, easy and very quick to use, just click in and click out.

Nice idea Chris, I have a regular 2 button mouse with wheel, I might experiment with your idea, maybe relocate my current setup for freelook.

There is also the numpad arrow keys to look with, i find myself using them once in a while when Im in a certain situation.

Judging? i didn't feel judged, I questioned your use of the word people which made no sense as I was the only poster

there suggesting the use of the toggle freelook.

No pun intented but i think you need to work on better proper use of English words and when to use them,

as the only time you would use the word people is if you have a few posters your referring to.

I was suprised that, of all people, there are some who use it. Not your usage in particular.

As in 'There are people who actually do that?', not 'Günter actually does that?'.

Maybe not right forum but im very new in here and never played arma though i played OFP very much when i got it but my question is, can i run arma:CO with AMD X6 FX-6300 3.5GHz , 3,3GB ram and Geforce GTS450 grafic card higher then Low/medium settings?

Edited by PastorJoe