wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

I've seen it a couple of times. I've accidentally started the game twice and then tried to join server with both versions. You get a message similar to "Remember, legitimate copies don't degrade".

Thanks again, at least now I know what to look out for just in case.

I didn't find any good place to put this question so I ask it here. Can I somehow organize missions in Arma 2 so that I can put them in different folders like ACE folder, non-Ace folder, small team folder etc. It's a bit frustrating to scroll through hundreds of missions. If this is not possible I think this would be nice addition to Arma 3.

I didn't find any good place to put this question so I ask it here. Can I somehow organize missions in Arma 2 so that I can put them in different folders like ACE folder, non-Ace folder, small team folder etc. It's a bit frustrating to scroll through hundreds of missions. If this is not possible I think this would be nice addition to Arma 3.

I did a simple thing to separate missions for testing mods:

Go into your arma 2 ‘other profile folder’ (where your user name is) and copy your user name folder ie my main username is 'ChrisB' so in the folder it shows as 'Chris%20B', I copied this so as to keep my menu settings etc, then just renamed it Chris%202, when you go into the game, if you go to player profiles your new profile will be seen.

Its just a simple way, but you can then swap missions between folders i.e. ace, non ace etc and access the missions using any of your new user names. Just a quick simple thing, may not be any use to you, but it’s a way of separating missions but keeping settings..

Sorry for this noob question but i couldn't find the answer anywhere. I only do basic stuff in the Arma 2 editor, can i add soldiers into my squad when playing the game (when you click on Preview). What i want to do is pick up soldiers from different areas and bring them to a main base to defend against a army of undead (Undead mod) that are slowly making there way to it.

Thanks.

Use the join and lead waypoint : from the wiki :

"Join

When this waypoint type is attached to a unit, the group will move to the position of that unit, then join and follow that unit's group, irrespective of side or ranks. Note that the attached unit may have moved on, but the Join waypoint remains at the unit's location when the waypoint became active. When the Join waypoint is spatial, the group will treat it as a Move type waypoint. If the Join waypoint is synchronized with another group's waypoint, when both groups are at their waypoint positions, the group that is "synchronized from" will join the group that is "synchronized to", irrespective of which group has the join waypoint itself. When synchronizing, click and hold on the waypoint of the group that is to join the other, then drag to the other group's waypoint. Note only two groups can join at single Join waypoint.

Join & Lead

This type is exactly the same as the Join waypoint type, except the group that leads the merged group will be opposite in each situation."

SOURCE:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mission_Editor:_Waypoints#Join_.26_Lead

Here's mine, If i host a private server and have a mod on like ASR_AI, what change (if any) do my friends vanilla game get to friendly and enemy AI?

I have few questions:

1) Vehicle/Tank driving in ARMA2. How to point them place where they drive? Is there pointing mechanism like in old OFP?:confused:

2) Multiple User names/Mission folders like in OFP. Is this possible in ARMA2/OA?:confused:

3) Is this bestest way to use addons? Install them in separate folders and use that expansion option thingy.:confused:

Edited by 33BO11OF00
typos

Here's mine, If i host a private server and have a mod on like ASR_AI, what change (if any) do my friends vanilla game get to friendly and enemy AI?

If you put AI enhancement mod on servers it will only apply to AI generated by the servers, usually enemy AI. Player AI will depends on the mod run on the player pc side.

If you put AI enhancement mod on servers it will only apply to AI generated by the servers, usually enemy AI. Player AI will depends on the mod run on the player pc side.
Thanks for explaining that, it's what i kinda assumed. I guess this explains why when i hosted the other night, we had a epic Patrol Ops mission with ASR_AI and parameters on Hard.:o I've migrated from *cough* Dragon Rising, where the AI mod applies to everyone on server. So it's alittle different to me.

So, from what you say, my AI teams had a advantage over my friends, with their improved abilities? I guess this is designed just to keep AI processing down on server? So does everyone at least see the effects of this, i would guess yes?

I have few questions:

1) Vehicle/Tank driving in ARMA2. How to point them place where they drive? Is there pointing mechanism like in old OFP?:confused:

2) Multiple User names/Mission folders like in OFP. Is this possible in ARMA2/OA?:confused:

3) Is this bestest way to use addons? Install them in separate folders and use that expansion option thingy.:confused:

With number 1), I'm not a CWC veteran, but you can either point and use MOVE THERE or use map and MOVE THERE. There's also command view num "." Or use Left Shift and Right Click to, make waypoint, then use Next Waypoint. This is nice for setting approach angle, or having a fallback failsafe.

But AFAIK there's no way to do more waypoints?:confused:

2) not sure

3) I guess it's just preference. I've been using the command line in shortcut way, seems easiest to me. I've also tinkered with the Six Updater (which is impressive), but i'm still not confident enough with it, even after a 30min tutorial. But, i will continue to use, it seems great. Then there's the expansion option thingy, i just find the UI to slow to use, plus i'm not sure about order of mods then, and i think that matters. :Oo:

Edited by PlacidPaul

Thanks for explaining that, it's what i kinda assumed. I guess this explains why when i hosted the other night, we had a epic Patrol Ops mission with ASR_AI and parameters on Hard.:o I've migrated from *cough* Dragon Rising, where the AI mod applies to everyone on server. So it's alittle different to me.

So, from what you say, my AI teams had a advantage over my friends, with their improved abilities? I guess this is designed just to keep AI processing down on server? So does everyone at least see the effects of this, i would guess yes?

If players want their AI to have the same ability, he need to run the asr mod on his pc. Servers will handle enemy AI spawned in the mission while player controlled AI are processed by the respected person PC. So if your PC is not running ASR mod, the AI that you control will be using vanilla.

heya guys just bought arma2 and operation ah through steam. im loving the gameplay ive had soo far but i have a prob i keep getting kicked out back to desktop. i manage to play 5 mins of the single player campaign then booted to desktop. is there any fix to this problem. it sucks espically since diablo 3 was the same with getting booted. i love my fps and just want to be able to play what i purchased please help thanks :)

Hi crabstyle,

the thread here is not a place for problems with the game, you want this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?83-ARMA-2-amp-OA-TROUBLESHOOTING

this thread is for new folks to the game about general gameplay and info of the game.

Please make sure that when you decide to post that you search that link I provided of any posts that may apply to you, if not then when you post use a descriptive thread title.

Moderators here uphold the forum rules very well, and for your own sake review them so you got a good

general idea on how to get around on the forums here.

Welcome to BIS forums.

hope that helps.

Anybody know answer to my question few posts back:

Multiple User names/Mission folders like in OFP. Is this possible in ARMA2/OA?:confused:

So, the action menu seems to show up at arbitrary times for me. Is there a way of telling me when it'll come up?

It becomes irritating when trying to lift a squadmate and instead be stuck with the default action of lifting and dropping. On the other hand, it will sometimes show up, just not predictably. For example, in a helicopter, I'll sometimes have to hammer enter a few times until it decides to give me the full menu rather than just raising/lowering the HUD.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is the action menu just really awkward for everybody?

Anybody know answer to my question few posts back:

Multiple User names/Mission folders like in OFP. Is this possible in ARMA2/OA?:confused:

If your thinking of having multiple user names ingame then yes, this will mean the mssions made for that name will be in your ‘Arma 2 Other Profiles’ folder in your ‘Arma 2’ games folder. Missions for each user name will be in the user names folder.

Not sure if that’s what you mean but that’s what I guessed you meant..

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

So, the action menu seems to show up at arbitrary times for me. Is there a way of telling me when it'll come up?

It becomes irritating when trying to lift a squadmate and instead be stuck with the default action of lifting and dropping. On the other hand, it will sometimes show up, just not predictably. For example, in a helicopter, I'll sometimes have to hammer enter a few times until it decides to give me the full menu rather than just raising/lowering the HUD.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is the action menu just really awkward for everybody?

The menu shows up with a roll of the mouse wheel for me, then a right click to get rid of it..

heya guys just bought arma2 and operation ah through steam. im loving the gameplay ive had soo far but i have a prob i keep getting kicked out back to desktop. i manage to play 5 mins of the single player campaign then booted to desktop. is there any fix to this problem. it sucks espically since diablo 3 was the same with getting booted. i love my fps and just want to be able to play what i purchased please help thanks :)

Hmm. Make sure all your graphics cards and nice and up to date. If bought on steam try checking the files and what not. Reinstall maybe. Try launching resource monitor and see what happens when you do crash. It sounds like its a problem with your computer some how since it is Diablo 3, and both are pretty heavy on the graphics (somewhat for Diablo 3) so be sure that you updated drivers and what not.

Im having problems with the last module in boot camp "communications". When it starts it talks about pointing to the Lt. and asking the Medic to heal him. OK I hit the F key and click the heal this person and I get a Roger, then no can do or negative.

Well I dont really care about healing the LT, but I can't go on with the Comm instructions.

Yup I got a noob question :D

What is the best and most important, working way to change your username if the normal one via the ingame menu does not work? I have read about different ways with contradicting answers so I wonder what the correct one is.

Thanks in advance!

Just tried the same thing that didn't work some time back but now it did. It's basically just creating a new profile with the desired name, copying the old customized profile and pasting it to the "Other Profiles" and matching the old profile file with the new name. :)

Edited by PurePassion

I found a couple great off site/BI FAQs - new user guides. Sadly, I can not find where I marked it. Anyone remember a site that initially helped them a lot?

---------- Post added at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:57 ----------

Just tried the same thing that didn't work some time back but now it did. It's basically just creating a new profile with the desired name, copying the old customized profile and pasting it to the "Other Profiles" and matching the old profile file with the new name. :)

When I created the account I didn't really think I would be interested in online or I failed to give it much thought. To change "daddy" do I just create a new steam account/profile? I am confused.

When I created the account I didn't really think I would be interested in online or I failed to give it much thought. To change "daddy" do I just create a new steam account/profile? I am confused.

He's talking about in game Profile names, not Steam. When you change your in game name your profiles move from:

Documents\ArmA 2\

to:

Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\NewPlayername\

So you'd either recreate all your settings or whatever or just copy from ArmA 2\ to ArmA 2 Other Profiles\NewPlayername

Hi when I first started up ArmA 2, everything went fine. The startup was normal, auto play worked and the like.

But when I loaded up the actual game after installing it, the screen stayed black.

I then heard music from what I would think would be the main menu but all I could see was my monitor stating "The current input is not supported by the monitor display".

Can anyone help me?

Hi when I first started up ArmA 2, everything went fine. The startup was normal, auto play worked and the like.

But when I loaded up the actual game after installing it, the screen stayed black.

I then heard music from what I would think would be the main menu but all I could see was my monitor stating "The current input is not supported by the monitor display".

Can anyone help me?

It would appear that your monitor doesn't support whatever default screen resolution is being used in-game. You'll need to modify it in the config,

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg