wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

Ok another thing- in external views, is there any way to zoom in just a little bit?

Holding the RMB or pressing '+' (num) zooms in far too much.

Only one I can think of is the + key on the number pad part of the keyboard,

but problem is if you hold your button down to long it zooms in even more then the rmb,

and if you let it go it moves back to the original position of the Fov.

Hi WOlle

May I suggest, as a recent addition to A2's ranks, something that might both reduce the number of basic questions & get new players up to speed faster? This would be some stickies at the top (or even a new forum, 'New players' help & guides' or 'StartHere!' - whatever). The first sticky would be a "Newcomers read this before posting", in time-honoured Usenet fashion. Amongst other matters it would direct them to read the appropriate sticky &, where relevant, apply the information therein before posting a query 'or you will not be replied to'.

The search function does not always return helpful results - one query I entered (2 search terms: Everon & CAPlants) pointed to a thread of over 900 messages. It took a long time to wade through them only to find the terms never ocurred together in any post. Googling didn't help either.

Another, unrelated query led me quite by chance to Th.D's outstanding guide to setting up & tuning a whole array of mods to work well together. This perhaps should be required reading for all new players (while The.D's guide is based on an ACE setup, it and his GL4 tuning scripts seem to work fine without ACE).

Given the quality of the people developing the mods, addons & user missions, very probably there are quite a number of equally excellent posts on various aspects of the game that could be collected in one place together with links to the relevant threads where readers may find additional information on specific problems.

This post is not intended in any way as a criticism of the moderators of any of these forums. On the contrary, many of them are the very people whose unpaid work has helped to make ARMA2 such a brilliant game.

Arma2 has a steep learning curve, & for those of us with no experience or knowledge of scripting, etc., it can be somewhat daunting. The sheer size of the database these forums comprise is also daunting to the newcomer. Collating a set of really informative guides like The.D's in one place could be one way to help reduce this.

BR

Carl

Hey carl, Good points, and ideas.

I myself am planning on doing a thread with a ton of links related to troubleshooting,

I am finding from this month alone alot of new comers, and some regulars post new topics on issues already located everywhere else.

I dont know how many times I have searched for folks, and or told folks to search but I'm going to put all the

common ones in one topic and just refer people to it if and when the need it, as it is getting rediculous to see

new threads pop up with existing ones already around, I'm sure Wolle and the others have already delt with this.

Sorry for asking again, I posted this question a few pages ago, and did not get a response. Perhaps no one knows for sure, or maybe it just got lost in the mix.

I really enjoy providing squad support with this weapon (M249 TWS), especially on the "Insurgency" servers during night ops and would like to hone my skills with it.

:confused: I have a question regarding the m249 TWS bullet drop compensation dots. At what ranges are they 'zeroed' for? Rough ASCII version below:

|
              |
       ______ . ______       (1)
              .              (2)

.              (3)

.              (4)

.              (5)

I've been trying to range it out on my own in the editor, but it's very hard to see bullet splash out past 500M through thermals. So far I believe #1 is 300m, #2 400m, #3 600m. I thought #3 would be 500, but splash at 500M seems to hit in between #2 and #3. Are #4 and #5 800M and 1kM(with a 5.56?!)? If you feel even more philanthropic, and would like to provide these ranges at both zoom levels, I will bake you brownies. Or punch and pie, your choice =D.

I imagine that the dots are analogous to the ranges on the "M249 Scope"

but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. Even providing me with advice on testing the ranges of the BDC dots would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

PS If you know of a mod that would allow me to switch the thermal imaging of the TWS optic from WHOT/BHOT/NORM, that would also likely solve my problem.

You mean in the armoury to unlock more stuff?

theres no points in the editor itself.

Complete the missions or objectives when you try stuff out.

You can always go into the editor and put down stuff that way, nothing to unlock there.

You mean in the armoury to unlock more stuff?

theres no points in the editor itself.

Complete the missions or objectives when you try stuff out.

You can always go into the editor and put down stuff that way, nothing to unlock there.

Thanks for the response but that is not the editor i am talking about. The one im talking about is the one in Scenarios>my missions>E02:combat and 01:basic

[...] I imagine that the dots are analogous to the ranges on the "M249 Scope"

but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. Even providing me with advice on testing the ranges of the BDC dots would be most appreciated

I can suggest this Mission/Script: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81156&highlight=TargetRange

It has a bullet cam mode, and you can slow down the time. So you can exactly see where the bullet goes.

A collection of "what-mark-belongs-to-which-range" would be really nice. I was a bit dissapointed when i noticed that many sights are off.

Edited by Fennek

Thank you very much, Fennek! That script looks excellent, it should help me answer my question. I've also been looking for a target range mod exactly like that, two birds, one stone =D

Edited by WingmanSR

Hey carl, Good points, and ideas.

I myself am planning on doing a thread with a ton of links related to troubleshooting, I am finding from this month alone alot of new comers, and some regulars post new topics on issues already located everywhere else.

Hi Günter

Thanks, I will watch for your posts :)

One thing that ARMA2 really needs is a manual (I just read a post elsewhere in which a new player with OA said he was thinking of buying A2 to get a manual. OFC he'll be disappointed in that regard; but he'll have a great game).

This lack is a major cause of the endlessly replicated questions, IMHO, & new palyers posting questions in inappropriate forums - the noise in some forums is quite striking.

What I'm suggesting is collating selected posts from the abundant but widely scattered, high-quality information into one sticky - or much better, a dedicated forum for new players. I used to be quite active in some of the Big 5 Usenet groups and bionet groups & the format I'm suggesting worked very well, & is widely applied on Usenet.

BR

Carl

No questions really, just ordered the game and wanted to introduce myself. Look forward to gaming with you guys in the not too distant future.

No questions really, just ordered the game and wanted to introduce myself. Look forward to gaming with you guys in the not too distant future.

Welcome to Arma 2! :) :yay:

Installing now, I will let you know what I think in a couple days.

Edited by Bowhunt3r

..One thing that ARMA2 really needs is a manual (I just read a post elsewhere in which a new player with OA said he was thinking of buying A2 to get a manual. OFC he'll be disappointed in that regard; but he'll have a great game)..

That was me and I've decided to stick with Arrowhead and learn it as I go along with lots of keypressing and stuff.

All it takes is time, and as I'm retired i've got all the time in the world because retirement is the world's longest coffee break..:)

@PoorOldSpike:

Worth spending time to get the keyboard set up just as you like it.

One thing I found useful is to separate the Zoom & Hold Breath functions. If you're, say, trying to locate a distant sniper you'll want to zoom but if you're holding your breath by the time you find him your aim will be wandering all over the place due to hypoxia.

Have fun. A2 is by far the most engrossing game I've found.

BR

Carl

how do you look around in third person without pointing your head in that direction?

how do you look around in third person without pointing your head in that direction?

You don't. You can hold down ALT and to enable free look where your body will face on direction and you can look around with your head elsewhere.

How do i get more points in the Wizard editor? Im stuck with 7500 points.

o.O Umm, use the real editor? :) Singleplayer -> Editor

o.O Umm, use the real editor? :) Singleplayer -> Editor

I know about that editor,however its a little complicated to use for me.Are there any scripts or guides to change the amount of edit points i can have?

I know about that editor,however its a little complicated to use for me.Are there any scripts or guides to change the amount of edit points i can have?

There's probably an entry somewhere. To be honest I've never used the edit points thing you're talking about so I'm not sure.

Hi

Is there any addon or mod or trick that will stop the team leader issuing imbecilic orders when the player switches to another unit in the team?

This happens fairly frequently. In one of the Harvest Red missions (Manhattan, IIRC) when I started switching to other units to change their load-out Cooper immediately began issuing orders to 'get in that LAV', 'disembark', then 'get in' again....

That was irritating but in other circumstances can wreck the mission. Example: playing Swordfish 1:

We sneaked to cover above the General's quarters (stealth mode, all set to 'hold fire'). I decided to take out the chopper as the inital step in the attack. Ordered one of the missile soldiers to attack the chopper & all to

'open fire' which they did - and the missile soldier attacked the chopper with his rifle, gahh. So I reloaded the save I had made in case of such problems and switched to a missile soldier to take it out myself, whereupon the team leader immediately opened fire with his rifle and ordered the team to 'board that chopper' [ $%*!! ].

As the team was still set to 'hold fire' the order wasn't just dumb but suicidally stupid.

I would have posted this in the Addon Request Thread but all I get there today is a blank page (ditto when I look at 'page source'). Not sure why, intermittently seeing this for a number of threads over the last few days. :( Anyone else having similar problems?

Re Swordfish - thanks to WOlle for porting these excellent missions into A2, and Sgt.Ace for the beautiful A2 Everon Island :)

Ciao

Carl

I bought ArmA 2 OA today, and I already had ArmA 2 on my computer (finished once, having another crack at it). I went to install, it asked me if I wanted to re-install. "OK" says I.

I eagerly launched the game, and there was "Harvest Red" staring at me again. I didn't want to finish it the second time...maybe not yet anyways...I wanted to play the "Standalone Expansion" of OA. I couldn't find any reference to OA at all. Perhaps it was because I "reinstalled" the expansion.

So I uninstalled, and installed Arma 2 OA.

Now I have to go back and do boot camp again, campaign is still Harvest Red - SAME MISSIONS!

My question is this...where is OA? As a "Standalone Expansion" with "ArmA 2 not required to play this game", surely I don't have to complete "Harvest Red" AGAIN to enter OA missions. It should be a seperate campaign.

Did Bohemia Interactive accidentally drop an ArmA 2 disc in the box I bought instead of an expansion disk? I bought an ArmA 2, and was also given a copy as a present. Do I now have THREE copies of the same game?

I only play Single Player, and I didn't use Steam at all. Do I need to "activate" it or similar using "Steam" to get it to work?

How do I get to play "Operation Arrowhead"?

Any help is gratefully accepted.

Edited by Steved

Technically speaking, OA is a different executable file. arma2oa.exe or arma2_oa.exe, one of those.

When you installed OA it should have created a different entry for OA in your Start menu.

You can tell you're running OA because the interface will be tan colored and the text is smoother than Arma2.

Also, you can transfer your A2 controls to OA, follow instructions in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1771930

Edited by Psycho78