wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

To those of you who have played the vanilla single player campaign of OA, I want to know if its more straightforward than ArmA II. If its a set of missions resembling the OFP's or the original ArmA I plan to buy it as soon as possible. If it has those "open world" type missions than the main campaign had, it's a harder sell. Multiplayer was fine as always, but spending $40 on an expansion when I already have plenty to do with the original's multiplayer is something I won't do.

So, in short, are the campaign missions more linear in nature or does it retain the large area to explore and complete objectives in?

What is a proper / good view disance to have?? I have a mid-level computer....currently getting around 40FPS in the benchmark mission.

I have my view distance set to 1400km.... Is this way short?

Anyone have a favorite thread for building a "Construction" type mission? Havent

worked with that yet. Usually just throw everything I need straight into the mission

without any construction.

What is a proper / good view disance to have?? I have a mid-level computer....currently getting around 40FPS in the benchmark mission.

From what I read on here 40fps is pretty good for A2/OA. I struggle to get much above 20fps. 1400 (I think you might mean 1.4Km) is probably OK in CQB missions but will put you at a disadvantage on more open terrain and in the air. If you remember (and can be bothered) you might want to change it to suit the mission you are playing. Just my opinion

Edited by pipscouse

yea 1.4km is good for your cqb, for aircraft action i recommend between 3000-5000(3km-5km) and armoured action maybe 2000-2500 just to be safe, the main cannon on the M1A1,M1A2 has a maximum zero of 2km :)

I have a question:

Can Arma2 OA demo show if my computer can handle this game properly? I haven't downloaded it yet so I want to ask here first.

I have a question:

Can Arma2 OA demo show if my computer can handle this game properly? I haven't downloaded it yet so I want to ask here first.

Ive read and re-read your question but for the life of me cant understand what you want answering....

If you want to know if your computer can handle OA if it could handle ArmA II then it can handle OA better.

As its the demo why not just try it out what do you have to lose...

if it could handle ArmA II then it can handle OA better.

This was not true for me, and isnt for lots of folks.

This was not true for me, and isnt for lots of folks.

well i guess i am one of the lucky few :D

in the mission editor: how do i make it so i can select "sleep" from a tent and it skip ahead 8 hours?

this is what ive got so far: a tent named "tent" with this in the int box: tent = tent addaction ["Sleep", "sleep.sqf"]; and a trigger with on act: skiptime 8

in the mission when i go to the tent Sleep pops up in the action menu but when i click it nothing happens how do i tell the trigger to go when i click sleep from the action menu???

Create a trigger same size as the tent!

In the 'on act' field put:-

skiptime 12

Then when you walk into tent it will skip 12 hrs.

Edit:-

Prob not what your after! :o

Ive read and re-read your question but for the life of me cant understand what you want answering....

i think i understand what he wanted

he think that Arma has somekind of software that will act like benchmark "yes/no"

so there is no "proper" handling of this game, one man will play 1024*768 and 1000 meters visibility (better than in many games, specially older, when you fought at distances like 50-100 or close quaters) another man will play 1600*1200 and 5000 m visibility

for one man proper is 29-31 FPS and mid details, for other man 50 FPS (who will notice if eye won't)

or i understood wrong ?

My question in thread #332:

I meant that can my computer handle this game so I can play it properly with good settings.

My specs are:

Intel Celeron 4A, 2433mhz

ATI Radeon HD 4600 series 1024mb

Memory 1GB

Windows XP home

i don't know how yours computer, i can answer you about my computer and my results in Arma2 (i don't have OA yet, not released)

i have: AMD 6000+ (dual 3GHz), 2*1024 memory, VGA 250 GTS 1024 mb, i have textures high, models high, visibility ca. 3 km, terrain low, post effects off, shadows mid, aaliasing low...

i have ca. 30-32 FPS in some big empty areas/big city looking at city (not looking at empty sky)

in lighter terrain no problem 37 FPS sometimes, with many units(addons on map) few FPS less,

i think (my private opinion) you have too few RAM, too slow CPU (if it is one core)

in my opinion it is too poor PC for proper enjoying this game

your VGA is not old, so seems good for me

only thing i afraid is if your CPU is one core (sorry, have no idea what is Celeron 4A)

I think my CPU is one core. Celerons are cut down versions of Intels.

One thing is good: Old OFP game runs well in my computer. So does the full version of ARMA1.

Edited by 33BO11OF00
INFO

Sounds good to me, I think you could even rise it to 1600. However, the problem is not the average Framerate but the one you get when entering cities or other demanding scenarios. This is the real bottle-neck.

oo and textures/models loading

you can have 1500 meters, mid models, mid textures but... buildings will be appearing when you approach them

i checked again my specs - i have textures and models highest, terrain no grass lowest, visibility 2500 meters,

in big city in Chernarus 27-32 FPS

looking at ground or sky 75 FPS

terrain with low forest and a few houses 37 FPS

so those are results for my specs (told site ago) checked at the moment

My question in thread #332:

I meant that can my computer handle this game so I can play it properly with good settings.

My specs are:

Intel Celeron 4A, 2433mhz

ATI Radeon HD 4600 series 1024mb

Memory 1GB

Windows XP home

No im afraid with those specs you wont be able to handle ArmA II or Operation Arrowhead, upgrade your CPU and your RAM and it should be fine, u need a minimum of Dual core to run the game on good settings

Minimal PC System Requirements

•Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)

•1 GB RAM

•GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM

•Windows XP

•DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

Optimal PC System Requirements

•Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)

•2 GB RAM

•Fast GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM

•Windows XP or Windows Vista

•DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

Hello, im thinking on buying combined operations. But im afraid it may get choppy on my comp. On the demo´s benchmark i get 31 FPS.

I have an:

Ahtlon X4 640

Ati Radeon HD 4600 512 MB

2 GB DDR3 of RAM

31FPS is quite good! I only get like 18-24 on very high settings on the benchmark. You should be fine :)

Hi, I'm now in the middle of downloading CO from sprocket & have a few questions :confused:

Questions:

1)I've finished dl'ing & installing arma 2. Just started the OA dl. As I understand it I just install OA it detects A2 & combines into CO, is this correct?

2)What do I need to do as far as patches are concerned? Will the versions I'm dl'ing right now be updated already? If not what ones do I need?

3)When I do patch: Are arma 2 & OA done separately or is there a CO patch?

4)To get onto most servers what mods will I need? (I can't install stuff that puts more strain on my system, cos it's old).

PC Spec:

Win XP SP3

AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2010.2

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512mb

2GB RAM

On-board sound

Erm & I think that's it....anything else a noob should be aware of? (apart from prepare to be schooled! lol). See you on the battlefield! :D

Cheers ;)

EDIT: Installed a2 then OA into their default dir's but no CO shortcut.....any help guys

UPDATE: Have learned from another user that you do not have a CO.exe shortcut. You must install arma 2 & then OA but point the OA install directory to the arma 2 directory (default for me on xp is: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\ ). Then start via the OA short cut which renames itself to Combined Operations.

Edited by RomeoSierra

Hi, I'm now in the middle of downloading CO from sprocket & have a few questions :confused:

Questions:

1)I've finished dl'ing & installing arma 2. Just started the OA dl. As I understand it I just install OA it detects A2 & combines into CO, is this correct?

2)What do I need to do as far as patches are concerned? Will the versions I'm dl'ing right now be updated already? If not what ones do I need?

3)When I do patch: Are arma 2 & OA done separately or is there a CO patch?

4)To get onto most servers what mods will I need? (I can't install stuff that puts more strain on my system, cos it's old).

PC Spec:

Win XP SP3

AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2010.2

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512mb

2GB RAM

On-board sound

Erm & I think that's it....anything else a noob should be aware of? (apart from prepare to be schooled! lol). See you on the battlefield! :D

Cheers ;)

EDIT: Installed a2 then OA into their default dir's but no CO shortcut.....any help guys

UPDATE: Have learned from another user that you do not have a CO.exe shortcut. You must install arma 2 & then OA but point the OA install directory to the arma 2 directory (default for me on xp is: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\ ). Then start via the OA short cut which renames itself to Combined Operations.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3630

for teh combined operations

Most servers don't require mods but some require a mod called ACE

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73531

Some on the other hand don't allow you to have modifications. So you might consider using modfolders. http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3630

for teh combined operations

Most servers don't require mods but some require a mod called ACE

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73531

Some on the other hand don't allow you to have modifications. So you might consider using modfolders. http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

Cheers