Sign in to follow this  
arb

Ground texture colour problem

Hi,

Does anyone know how to solve this problem.

I am working on my afghanistan map and have an issue where the colour from the sat image shows on the ground and makes the ground look horrible.

It only seems to happen where the colour is light (for example white).

I need to get a way so that the sat image doesn't show up at ground level.

Anyone got any ideas other than trying to adjust the colour in photoshop on the sat image which will then probably make it look horrible from the air.

example:

texture3.jpg?t=1269441345

Doesn't seem so bad with the darker colours:

Ground level:

texture1.jpg?t=1269441363

In the air:

texture2.jpg?t=1269441480

Any help with this would be great.

Arb

This seems to be one of the biggest drawbacks with using google earth-type Sat images... they "tint" through the ground textures...

eg: a "brown" area on the satmap will tint a grey ground texture brown at ground level...

Actually - all satmaps I've tried do this - it seems to be a "feature"... even entirely artificially made ones do the same thing... IF the ground texture is substantially different from the same area as seen from the air...

I have the same effect on my current island with the "roadside gravel" texture...

I have "grey lines" drawn on my Sat_lco - which correspond to where the roads are at ground level... also - the same "grey lines" are on my Mask_lco - that causes the standard brown gravel texture to be laid in those areas...

From the air - I get grey lines where the roads go - visible from further away than the road textures... just what I want.....

On the ground - actually standing by the side of the road - I get a gravel texture - but it's not brown - it's the same grey I painted on the sat_lco.... Sat_lco "tints" the groundtiles...

If this is the issue you're encountering then theres no real solution that I know of so far, other than to eliminate all detail on your satmap that doesn't correspond to actual features at ground level... not too much fuss with an artifically created satmap - but likely to be trickier with a google one - since you'll have lots of tiny details all over the place...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

arb: why do you think it took me more than a week in Photoshop to redo the Panthera textures? :) its a feature not a bug, my best tip would be to alter the sat_lco to new (darker) color, of course use brushes with different opacity to make it realistic.

thanks guys, I have been havig a play in photoshop and can get the look I want without it looking odd from the air, just going to take a long time to get completed :(

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I have the opposite problem. I actually WANT the Sat to tint the ground textures. I dont like it when you play the game as infantry and you think the ground has the same colour as your uniform, but from far away, it has a different colour and you are visible for anyone.

However, not every ground texture seems to be tinted by the Sat. For example, if I am not mistaken, the asfalt Texture of Chernarus is tinted by the Sat, while the Asfalt Texture of Takistan seems to get not tinted. Also, when I changed the texture grid in Visitor from 20m to 40m, even the Chernarus Asfalt-Texture was not tinted by the Sat anymore.

Has anyone any insight on when the ground texture is tinted and when not? I really have no clue at all (I suspected it might have something to do with the texture.nopx, but this does not explain why things changed when I switched the texture grid).

Edited by #momo#