Sign in to follow this  
code-red

What is the longest distance you ever walked in arma2 ?

Tonight i was walking is some Evolution kind of map and i was doing a halo jump when the city was captured half way down my freefall.

I could not fly far enough any more so i was quite far from the next waypoint.

So i decided to walk the damn 2700 meters.

In Ofp i would put a weight on the "W" key sometimes so i wouldnt have to hold it down.

So what is the longest distance you ever walked in this game ?

And how long did it take?

:)

7000 meters lol. I was playing a halo mission, when me and my friend were racing around and it turns out we were too far from the obj....lol

Hm... about 4km I think.

ArmA1 beats this easily though, I played one mission at the Tactical Gamer server which had no vehicles and the objectives were all scattered over Kolgujev.... that was fun :p

That server is also where I had the most epic run of my gametime. Me and 3 buddies were ordered to recon on Iraqi tanks when suddenly by incident their patrol pattern got us surrounded and they closed in. We had no cover (the map was a real desert, no vegetation, no rocks, no anything...) so I threw a smoke grenade while dodging the bullets. We started to retreat, but a BMP cut our way.

Having run out of AT weapons and the tanks behind and to our sides, our squad leader cried out to run past the bmp while he would distract it... we ran for the next valley and dropped to the ground, only to see the squad leader - running in zig-zag - taking his fatal bullet.

Really immersive stuff, didn't get a better situation yet.

Edited by Icewindo

Walking, including running?

Well, I lost track due to time compression.

I rarely run in ACE 2, because my character would pass out and die due to heat exhaustion or something of the sort.

It was an FDF mission in OFP. We were forced to walk so far I'm pretty sure we ended up in my real neighborhood...

I must confess, Arma 1 gave me my best MP memories to date. I am not sure what it was, but I just loved it so much.

I really do hope OA will have the same MP feeling that Arma 2 had. Loved the MP missions that were available, I do wonder where they all went sometimes...

Modrava -> Davle - rings a bell (CSAR MP mishun) .. :mad:

ArmA2 i don´t know. Around the whole island prbly, not alone though.

It was an FDF mission in OFP. We were forced to walk so far I'm pretty sure we ended up in my real neighborhood...

lmao, exactly like that

One night on CiA we´re on the bikes and bals had to stop us racing each others by threatening to kick ppl.

Edited by Mr Burns

Novy Sobor to the outskirts of Elektrozavodsk in Bitter Chill, probably. It was an epic run, being chased by Spetsnaz dropping out of Hips, constantly checking the clock, estimating our running speed and doing the math to find out whether we would make it to the boat before 1700 or not. Then the fucking cop-out scripted sniper auto-killed me.

I was bored so i walked in the safe stance as far as i had time for. Sad to admit but here it is.

OFP - Nogova from 1 end to the other

ArmA1 - Sahrani from the southan peak to the northan end

ArmA2 - chenerus from chernogorsk to petrovka

In OFP campaign when you - as pilot - was captured and had to escape. Second part of the mission required great deal of running as well I think. Anyway, after A1 came out I wasnt walking/running so much anymore. Probably becouse there is more HMMWVs and UAZs with weapons on them. It reminds me now that they should include 5t truck with MG in OA.

I must confess, Arma 1 gave me my best MP memories to date. I am not sure what it was, but I just loved it so much.

I really do hope OA will have the same MP feeling that Arma 2 had. Loved the MP missions that were available, I do wonder where they all went sometimes...

Sooo how many meters was it??

Personally im not sure but ive done the long walks many times. Especially in MP when dropped far out of range and with muppet players that wouldnt give a damn about it. Bastards. :D

Walking long distances isn't a problem for me anymore, I've bound foward movement to my X-52 throttle stick so that when pushed forward I can just take my hands off the keyboard.

I do it tanks and vehicles too if I'm in a safe area. Funnily enough by doing so it also allows you to drive vehicles at a slow speed that isn't obtainable via a keyboard button.

While base Hunting in Warfare I do the patrol by foot in the 5km range around spawnpoints.

For taking towns I rarely use vehicles under 1500m and the last 600m are always on foot, because vehicles tend to explode at first contact with RPGs.

I have also assigned a autorun slider to the X52, that makes it possible to concentrate on looking around with using [alt] while searching for bases.

Not sure about ArmA 2 but I've walked/ran across a whole island in a vs OFP CTI, fun times when sniping enemy players at there base :)

I have done many long walks in OFP, armed assault and arma2. I like long patrols behind enemy lines, if I need to go to the toilett I find an empty house or a bush to hide in. So I have no clue how many miles I have put behind me.

Warfare missions were definitely the best times for me running-wise in ARMA & ARMA2.

I remember getting shot down from a heli in South-west Isla Barbuda (mod map) and leaving a weight on the w button, then going off for about 30minutes to eat something, the moment I came back I arrived at the shore, but I had to get a laser designator from the nearest enemy camp by capping it; it ended up in a successful lasering mission, destroying the enemy base and filling my stomach :D

Also I remember the halo fails in evo causing me to run miles to the newly designated objetive city, although in many ways this is the safest option as you have to rely on your pilot/driver on not being an incompetent vehicle hogger.

Me and 3 buddies were ordered to recon on Iraqi tanks when suddenly by incident their patrol pattern got us surrounded and they closed in. We had no cover (the map was a real desert, no vegetation, no rocks, no anything...) so I threw a smoke grenade while dodging the bullets. We started to retreat, but a BMP cut our way.

Having run out of AT weapons and the tanks behind and to our sides, our squad leader cried out to run past the bmp while he would distract it... we ran for the next valley and dropped to the ground, only to see the squad leader - running in zig-zag - taking his fatal bullet.

Really immersive stuff

I love reading these posts; you don't get them in any other game :rolleyes:

In many ways the vast size and walking makes ARMA what it is: realistic and immersive as it gets (*take cover in the nearest bush as you hear the hum of an attack chopper in the distance, noticing that its flight path is directly over you :p *)

Keep the posts coming!

I've bound foward movement to my X-52 throttle stick so that when pushed forward I can just take my hands off the keyboard.

hahah .. that one made me laugh rather a lot.

I set up a mission for myself where every town was had enemy in Arma1 I thin I got from Saharani through to the north of the other island and spent (with saves) probably 10 hours on the whole thing (not just walking obviously).

Oddly enough in Arma2 I seem to use heli pick up an awful lot so currently the longest is about 1k say ... not a great deal in the grand scheme of things. I also have to admit that since getting the game I have never seen the damn either ... now even im shocked.

I like walking.. makes me less guilty feeling about sitting at my keyboard all day...

I guess around 3-4km, but due to multiple contacts along the way, it took us a couple of hours. Our transport chopper was shot down enroute to the AO, and we decided to do it properly :) One of my best sessions.

Due to a knee injury I never actually did it myself, but "everyone" in my platoon was required to walk 30km in real life, with weapon and backpack. So, our Arma distances aren't very big :)

Just over 9k....walking from the marsh to the airfield in the northwest. One hell of an evade and escape mission.

Just over 9k....walking from the marsh to the airfield in the northwest. One hell of an evade and escape mission.

Where is this marsh I am always hearing about at?

I never walk more than 1km. Unless there's some action or something to keep me occupied.

I need to bind a key....

In "Behind Ennemy Lines" (a great SP mission), From Gorka to Chernogorsk, let's say 10Km and 2 hours and a half through the woods between infantries, BMP's and a damn Mi-24 patrolling over our heads. A great experience

great thread!

In arma 1 I played one of the apache mod side missions - you had to fly from the little NW island to the walled base in the valley in the north west of the top island and kill 3 shilkas. As I flew too low and clipped a tree going over from the island, I managed to nurse it down onto the beach (in a tailspin) and instead of restarting i decided to play it for real. what should have been a 20 min SD mission turned into an all night (4 hours) First Blood experience as I evaded enemy patrols and gradually picked up more weapons (at one point i had 1 makarov clip and a nade). After killing the shilkas and all the enemy at the base, I decided to patrol the surrounding area and killed another couple of hundred troops. Then I thought about going back to the island to finish the mission. By now it was dark and raining and i didn't have a boat. I toured the west coast looking for anythingthat would save me swimming several miles in the dark. Using binoculars scavenged from a dead enemy soldier, I discovered a little pbx about 700m off the coast. I then toured the earlier battlefields looking for a dragunov. Eventually I stumbled into a patrol and killed enough of them and ran away. Later I returned and found the dragunov on the dead sniper. I took it down to the coast and zeroed in on the boat (I had no HUD marker). I managed to shoot the guy in the boat. I then took a bearing on the boat with my compass and swam out into the dark water, gradually losing all my equipment including the nightvision goggles I had liberated from a spetsnaz lorry earlier. Before swimming I had placed a captured uaz on the cliffs with the lights pointing toward the boat. Using regular compass references, I made it within earshot of the boat but it sounded like it was all around me. I could have swum off into the void but a sudden flash of lightning showed the pbx about 200m off to my left side. I made it to the boat, got in and motored back to base for some cocoa and a blanket...

I must have walked about 10 miles and swum 1 mile in all on that mission.

As a result of that traumatic experience I made a motorbike and RHIB supply drop script (which now has a mountain bike too) for all my missions... more as a way to encourage others to remain calm and focused when confronted by massive distances, rather than give in and hit quickload.

Edited by eggbeast

Furthest I walked was 6000meters. I think it was Domination or something, no-one would pick me up in a vehicle. I didn't want to respawn and the game was boring with such players anyway, so I ran to base.