Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Military Discussion Thread

FN-SCAR heavy the 7.62 nato is being baught by US forces Only the Scar light was canceled. The Designated Marksman rifles are going to be replaced with the M110 a 7.62 DMR version of the M16. So they are going after new battle rifles rather than making more M14.

Imho few weapons variants like the M14 will be still available for special forces but not for all regular grunts.

Just curious if the HK IAR will be really replacing the M249 SAW or if they are goint to complement it? Are there any actual new infos/pics/vids about HK IAR?

My point of view is that IAR is a attempt to get new carbines without big debates and dipsutes in ministries and congress. Because nearly all IAR "relatives" like PRK or SA-80 LSW proved their inability to be used like machinegun because of their magazines. And now nobody uses widely any kind of this type of firearms like RPK, SA-80 LSW, M16 LSW, FAL 50.41 & 50.42 or MG-36. All of them were replaced either by Minimi or PKM.

The brits hated the MG version of the SA80 the LSW. They prefair the Minimi for its ammo amount. The LSW is now used by the best two shooters in a section/squad to extend the range of a section aswell as having two Minimis in a section. the LSW and SA80 is supposed to be getting updated with Picatinny rails, top and sides for the SFSG forces. Brit forces are getting a new marksman rifle based on the M16 similar to the M110 and a shotgun for the cornfields in Afghanistan. More sections are prefairing the FNMag over the Minimi in Afghanistan.

UK Parachute Regiment sharpshooter rifle

2010012165184565.jpg

Edited by CG Man

The Designated Marksman rifles are going to be replaced with the M110 a 7.62 DMR version of the M16. So they are going after new battle rifles rather than making more M14.

Other way around, they're buying a variation of the Mk. 17 called the Mk. 20 to replace the SR-25, M110, M14 and other such semi-auto sniper weapons.

_Mk17_SSR_01.jpg

Compared with -

FNM0112mb.png

My point of view is that IAR is a attempt to get new carbines without big debates and dipsutes in ministries and congress. Because nearly all IAR "relatives" like PRK or SA-80 LSW proved their inability to be used like machinegun because of their magazines. And now nobody uses widely any kind of this type of firearms like RPK, SA-80 LSW, M16 LSW, FAL 50.41 & 50.42 or MG-36. All of them were replaced either by Minimi or PKM.

Have the Russians got rid of their RPKs from regular service?

Edited by echo1

I thaught only US Rangers were getting the SCAR family of weapons with USMC and US Army getting updated to M110 and keeping the M4 family. Deltas to get HK416 andHK417.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the SCAR. Yes, the Army is getting the M110.

The USMC is fielding the M39, which is just a pimped-out M14, to replace the DMR. Which is also a pimped out M14... just not to the same extent.

Have the Russians got rid of their RPKs from regular service?

Officially not yet, although PKP machinegun now is the only MG in some army branches like VDV (Airborne) and Special forces. Almost all military forces in "hot" zones like Caucasus prefer to use not RPK-74 but PKM only since middle 90-s. RPK/RPK-74 is rather long but cannot have much firepower because of 45-round mags and too thin and unchangeable barrel. Only its mags are used with AKs widely:)

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere or other that RPK gunners in Chechnya would swap their 45-round mags for the 30-round mags of the other troops, because the longer mags made it difficult to lie prone with the weapon...

Speaking of Russian weapons, has anyone else seen that AK-200 rifle that they are thinking of adopting?

+Rails

-ergonomic design

-Open sight

-precision still under western weapons

(Experts are saying that, not me)

I wonder what sort of sight that is in the fourth pic, it looks like some "EOTech-ski"

I would say its some kind of combined Eotech-PSO...maybe they just wanted to show that you can put more than one thing on it.....

They have mounted a rail to the top receiver cover? That's counter-productive! Having a rear sight mounted on the top receiver cover of the Galil is one of the reasons it isn't the most accurate 5.56mm assault rifle around. The cover MOVES!

As for the Mk. 16 discussion, maybe they'll buy the Magpul Masada / Remington ACR, instead. Yay!

They have mounted a rail to the top receiver cover? That's counter-productive! Having a rear sight mounted on the top receiver cover of the Galil is one of the reasons it isn't the most accurate 5.56mm assault rifle around. The cover MOVES!

As for the Mk. 16 discussion, maybe they'll buy the Magpul Masada / Remington ACR, instead. Yay!

If you look at the top cover you see that its swivel mounted to the sight block, has a lever to lock it down and the operating spring is not connected to it anymore. That should bring down movement, I wonder though if its return to zero when you open and close it.

STGN

An India Naval Rear Admiral shoot himself at shooting range by his malfunction 9mm

http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/08/stories/2010070862290100.htm

Now, this may at first seems to be a tragedy, yet when you look into the article, you will find that it said:

When it misfired twice, he looked at it for the cause, with the muzzle pointing at him.

Now, aint all properly setup shooting range and anyone who supposed to be well trained on weapon handling would have the rule "never point your gun's muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot at"?

I cant felt sorry for someone who have made the simplest mistake and end up shooting himself dead, I do felt sorry for the man's family through.

Edited by 4 IN 1

There's Hindu's and Hindon'ts.

Snip Snap

Taranis-_1677820c.jpg

BAE £142m unmanned stealth plane unveiled in Lancashire

The prototype is the company’s first step in the development of an unmanned strike aircraft, with flight trials planned for early next year.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/8268392.BAE___142m_unmanned_stealth_plane_unveiled_in_Lancashire/

TARANIS FACTS

Controlled by ground crews the pilotless plane can hit targets on another continent.

The joint funded contract was placed in December 2006 and final assembly commenced in December 2008.

The flight trials will not take place in the UK, but will be conducted in safe, designated test areas under close supervision.

It is capable of delivering weapons to a battlefield in another continent at the click of a button.

It will be able to hold an adversary at continuous risk of attack, to penetrate deep inside hostile territory and find a target.

If the flight tests are successful the aircraft could be produced for the Royal Air Force.

It is approximately 12 metres in length with a wingspan of 10metres.

Hola amigos

Anyway, does anyone know if a Force Recon Marine can join the 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) as long as they are the right age and can pass the requirements? I asked about Navy SEALs before and the recruiter said they won't take Marines, even Force Recon. I meant to ask the Army recruiter today about Delta since my Marine recruiter isn't sure. So does anyone in the Army or Marines know if this is possible?

South Korea deploys robot capable of killing intruders along border with North

South Korea has deployed sentry robots capable of detecting and killing intruders along the heavily-fortified border with North Korea, officials said on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/southkorea/7887217/South-Korea-deploys-robot-capable-of-killing-intruders-along-border-with-North.html

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hola amigos

Anyway, does anyone know if a Force Recon Marine can join the 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) as long as they are the right age and can pass the requirements? I asked about Navy SEALs before and the recruiter said they won't take Marines, even Force Recon. I meant to ask the Army recruiter today about Delta since my Marine recruiter isn't sure. So does anyone in the Army or Marines know if this is possible?

You'll have to leave the Marines and get a branch transfer to the Army first, after that talk to someone related to Spec Ops recruiting.

@SK Sentry Robot

Blimey, someone's been playing too much Metal Gear. And then actually gone and made it...

I'm about to open a ticket on the issue tracker, but I want to check here first.

UK Apaches have their cannon set to fire bursts of 10, 20, 50 or 100 rounds.

Anzacsas made a great mod for this which works fine in OA, but obviously it would be better to have this in the core game.

So the question is, do US Apache M230 cannons work in the same manner? Or can they fire single rounds as depicted in game?

Controlled by ground crews the pilotless plane can hit targets on another continent.

France?