Sign in to follow this  
barret

Best martial art?

Hey USSOLDIER, are you really in the Army Special Forces?

If you are, that is cool! I bet you probably get alot of chicks!

Kind of hard to imagine a real green beret playing a soldier video game! smile.gif

Anyways, all this talk about "real" useful "combat" martial arts kinda interested me, and I used to practice TaiQuanDo, however you spell it, but it never seemed really practical. All that twirling around. It was fun though!

I did a search on all the "Military combat systems" said here and the one that seemed the most useful was this one by the Spetsnaz called "Systema".

They teach all sorts of useful things that you may need to know. Like how to defend your self inside a car, or while you are in a chair or how to improvise weapons.

And all the combat stuff they teach seem real "practical" unlike all the other "sport" martial arts. Unfortunately, they only teach it in Colorodo and Virginia here in the States.

First of all I am not a Green Beret. I don't want to lie and say that I am, that would be dishonorable. I am however, in an SF unit. Orginally I was in a program to become a green beret through the National Guard, but I stopped to go to college. I had a infantry MOS (11B), but I switched over to the Military Intelligence Detachment of our battalion. I have been with the unit for three years, and over that period of time I have acquired alot of knowledge about spec ops, Unconventional Warfare (guerrilla), small unit infantry tactics, weapons systems, CQB, etc... I am at heart, a field soldier and plan to go back when I get my degree. Anyway I agree with what you said about martial arts. I took TaeKwonDo (Kukiwon style) for 6 years, it has been modified too much to meet tournament regulations, especially since Kukiwon style TaeKwonDo became and official olympic event. The reason TKD is so acrobatic is because it evolved from fighting styles used on the Korean peninsula to fight mounted riders (mainly Mongols), hense the extremely high kicks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kind of hard to imagine a real green beret playing a soldier video game!<span id='postcolor'>

SF soldiers are big kids. You should see some of the shit they do for fun tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ April 13 2002,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think my favorite has to be that brazillian martial art that incorporates a dance because it was illegal years ago.  Only place i seen it was one of the dudes in tekken<span id='postcolor'>

name is capoeria, i think. spelling is shady for me.

i heard there are 2 diff sectors now, one is capoeria angola(from Africa) and capoeria Brazil(from Brazil)

the reason why it was banned is becuase first, it's slave's martial art. they used it to practice, but there owners thought they were dancing. second, what they did was hide a small blade in btw there toes and slash ppl in fight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ April 13 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway I agree with what you said about martial arts. I took TaeKwonDo (Kukiwon style) for 6 years, it has been modified too much to meet tournament regulations, especially since Kukiwon style TaeKwonDo became and official olympic event. The reason TKD is so acrobatic is because it evolved from fighting styles used on the Korean peninsula to fight mounted riders (mainly Mongols), hense the extremely high kicks.<span id='postcolor'>

shows how much you are knowledgable about TaeKwondo.(quite a lot).

when i was little i learned TaeKwonDo, and when we were sparring, we used punches too. but as you mentioned, after it became sport-ized, it lost that martial art aspect.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 13 2002,07:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's the combat system that the Spetsnaz use?

I heard read it somewhere in a magazine.<span id='postcolor'>

Systema (?)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (--Snype-- @ April 12 2002,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, make way for the grandmaster...

*ahem*

I agree with you all, a soldier must be free to move and very light in his actions, but there is a certain Kung Fu Tao that enables a human to move freely and extremely quickly no matter how much weight is on his back. It's all to do with the hips, if there is nothing on the hips, the soldier can shift his weight here and their very swiftly. After months of vigarous training, a soldier can jump onto a 3 metre wall within 2 seconds, or so. Oh and by the way, whoever said "Gung Foo". lol, it's Kung Fu.<span id='postcolor'>

hehe, yeah, I'v heard of this Kung foo. And after a year of training the soldiers walk on top of bamboo forests, not touching the ground. They can jump like in matrix and break walls like agents.

Geeze, why isn't the military deploying this? Just imagine an Army of modern warfare Kunf foo monks... biggrin.gif

( why can't we jump in OFP?? btw. and train it till we can play unreal? )

Gung Foo=Sounds exactly how it is pronounced in cantonese. Everyone uses 'Kung Fu' though.

TKD was evolved from trying to fight Mongolian riders? I was always under the impression that Mongolian Riders were extremely capable cavalry, and to lift your leg that high to try to dismount a charging guy on horseback would seem hazardous to your health.....

just some words from my former Karaté shinto-ruy teacher:

"there's no best martial art in the world, just the improvement of the student".

"when the karaté ll have to be in olympic game, i think i ll cry because it's will no longer being called an art".

I do martial art since i got 5 years old (25 years of practice now)... i tried various thing (judo/karaté/ju-jitsu/kendo/shaolin zu kempo/tai shi shuan)... the idea is different beween all MA by example karate have renounce to close combat for the concentrate attck,the judo renounced to long range attack for only corpse/corpse attack, the shaolinzu kempo renounced to concentrate attack.

One time i was conduct to a street fight by some punk(they thinked a little guy not very musculated will be an easy target).... happily for them i was just too angry to be full efficient (thought i broked one arm of one guy, and severed 2 other (one ll have pb to piss till the end of his day i guess)).

i prefer do MA for fun *and now i try to run faster than them* only stupid ppl want prove their art is the better, they just prove themselves deserve what they studied so long and forget the first golden rule=> use it just for extreme situation life/death. *i just feel sad when i think back to this damn night*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MAsta KFC @ April 14 2002,16:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TKD was evolved from trying to fight Mongolian riders? I was always under the impression that Mongolian Riders were extremely capable cavalry, and to lift your leg that high to try to dismount a charging guy on horseback would seem hazardous to your health.....<span id='postcolor'>

well, to be more precise, as far as my knowledge goes, yes. but not all. most kicking techniques were present, but they were made to accomodate mongolians.

mongolian horeses, in old days, (and i'm talking about C.A. 800A.D(my memeory is failing)) were not as big as horses we see today.

mongolian ridesr also used a spear that seems to me, like 4-6yards long. if someone could slip away from tip, they can counter attack.

I don't think the Ultimate Fighting competition could be considered a definite test.

It shows what works best under those specific conditions that the competition rules dictate. (Nasty to watch. I'll never forget that Jesus character who got his little ponytail pulled right off...yuck! )

In real life fights there will always be unknowns, improvised weapons, motivational strength etc.

I think a mixture of styles and the ability to discern and distribute different techniques according to the situation is optimal.

As older members will remember, I'll rather walk away before something bad happens smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ April 15 2002,00:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As older members will remember, I'll rather walk away before something bad happens smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yup! the best way of winning! smile.gif

If you are wondering what the heck I meant, Nordin once got into some lunatic trying to harass him and his friends, and instead of beating the lights out of that lunatic, he managed to end confrontation peacefully.

SILAT. It has five variations (Ie. Silat Buktu)

Indonesian form of combat, where they used to fight to the death. Thus, any move that didn't work as it was supposed to, was not handed down to the students, as the person who thought of the move, was killed.

I've heard of a 60year old lady fighting off 5 teenage street thugs trying to shove her around using this technique. It has also been written about in one of Tom Clancy's novels.. (well, several of them in the series)

It uses the opponent's movements to cause all the damage, meaning even someone old and frail, young and weak, or laden with gear (ie Soldiers) can use it to great success.

The Indonesian Special Forces are taught one form of Silat to a small degree.

It would get my vote.

I still wouldn't put my money on any one style of fighting. It's the man that makes the art, not visa versa.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">krav maga - invented by the israeli army they just teach kick ass no ritual paint the fence wax the car BS <span id='postcolor'>

It's not invented by israeli army, it's invented by a jew guy

named Imi Lichtenfeld who lived in Germany(?) 1938, and

had to figure something out to survive.

KM was then developed by Israeli army, AFAIK

In Israel, they teach Krav Maga in schools!

It is used in many armies.

I don't think that KM is the best - but it's really good.

Thai-boxers are still the toughest guys and I mean it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ April 15 2002,08:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">krav maga - invented by the israeli army they just teach kick ass no ritual paint the fence wax the car BS <span id='postcolor'>

It's not invented by israeli army, it's invented by a jew guy

named Imi Lichtenfeld who lived in Germany(?) 1938, and

had to figure something out to survive.

KM was then developed by Israeli army, AFAIK

In Israel, they teach Krav Maga in schools!

It is used in many armies.

I don't think that KM is the best - but it's really good.

Thai-boxers are still the toughest guys and I mean it.<span id='postcolor'>

acctually, when it comes to the toughest, its american wrestiling, I don't know how people can fake fighting for so long.

Gaah! Not the Rock, he's the biggest twat in the WWF....

Gimme Stone Cold, Undertaker, Tazz or Chris Benoit any day.

*cough* WWF? gimme a break. I have better things to do than watch a bunch of fuckin apes with gland problems go at each other while wearing what vaguely resemble female undergarments.

All I have to say is suck it lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">acctually, when it comes to the toughest, its american wrestiling, I don't know how people can fake fighting for so long. <span id='postcolor'>

I was wondering, that does somebody really think that those

guys are punching each other? sad.gif

Apparently, someone does. or are you joking?

(No offense..)

smile.gif Clearly you are all wrong, the best martial art is Budgie wrestling smile.gif

There is nothing to beat the satisfaction of a half-nelson on a small chirping blue bird as it desperately cries "polly wants a cracker" by way of submission.......

In my opinion the best martial arts is korean hapkido! Did some aikido before, but I didn`t liked it that much, because it was all selfdefense stuff.

biggrin.gif Origami, now there's a martial art, fold your enemy to death and then produce a graceful swan out of him biggrin.gif