Sign in to follow this  
Minizzzile

[WIP] CO "Degeneration" Zombie Survival

Degeneration

Zombie Survival

LAST UPDATED: Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Story:

Aleck shifted nervously in the dark. The sun had been down for almost two hours, it was still light enough to make out the shape of buildings and the occasional person walking by. Aleck was propped up against a wall, staring off into the distance. He had drove into this town running from another. Those
things
were spreading fast. He had witnessed so many die. So many crying in shear parin. So many pleaing for mercy but none were granted their wishes. Aleck looked down, in his left hand remained a little doll. One eye missing. Some of the doll's hair was cut off. Blood stained the doll's blouse. It was his daughter's. He couldn't look at the doll for too long otherwise tears would begin to build up in his eyes. Survival is making sure his mind stayed clear so he quickly looked away. He had made the mistake of having a clouded mind in the last town he was in, it had almost cost him his life. Suddenly, a sharp pain shot up his side. He couldn't feel much of his right side anymore though. It was mostly numb. He sighed and concluded that he needed rest before he continued to move. He pulled out his journal and then put one more entry in.

January 27th - Entry 28

I lost Missy today. I have to make it to Dolores though...It's my only hope.....I lost Missy today.

Aleck sighed again, the pain was subsiding, he was glad he was going to be okay at least. He put his journal back into his rucksack then he pulled out his map and marked Dolores with it. Only a one day trip, a couple hours if he just sprinted, but that would surely attract
them
. Aleck put the doll down and put the map away and took off his rucksack. After a short sleep he could make it to Dolores. He could get evacuated and be free of this nightmare world. He could pretend none of this happened. He let his mind ease and then slowly drifted off to sleep.

Three hours later Aleck's eyes shot open, he stood up quickly and cocked his head to one side. The wind grabbed at his clothes and took bits of dried blood with it. Aleck's skin was slightly more pale thAn before. Aleck then glanced around for moments before charging into the darkness of the ill light town. Minutes later it began to rain, a single rain drop hit the discarded doll just below her remaining eye. The rain drop slowly crawled down the doll's cheek and dripped onto the ground. A lone scream pierced the blanket of darkness only for a short time before fading.

Lights flickered on in the town.

Weary civilians panicked and ran in all directions.

This is what they had heard was consuming other towns.

It was at their door steps now!

On the horizon,
they
appeared. First trickiling over the hill, then en mass.
They
were coming.
They
were ruthless,
they
were hungry.

This is Degeneration.

Mission Desciption:

A Zombie Survival sandbox mission.

There are multiple player slots but can be played solo. It is based in Southern Sahrani but is circled around 6 towns. Tiberia, Cayo, Arcadia, Ortego, Iguana and Dolores.

All weapons, items and anything that can be used is scattered around the 6 towns in vehicles, on civlians, soldiers, etc. Depending on the who inhabits the towns will dictate what is spawned there. For example, since Ortego has 2 checkpoint zones and is heavy with military, it has many abandonded jeeps full of goodies. Cayo, might be littered with many other vehicles that have smaller weapons, or weapons that are easy to conceal. (With a few exceptions of course ;) )

Spawning System:

Most of everything (Excluding evacuation locations and checkpoints) is random. The game play will never be the same twice. Where the zombies go to first will be random, where the player spawns within a town will be random, where the civilians spawn will be random and even where the vehicles spawn is random.

Checkpoint Zones:

Checkpoint zones are areas that the military have under their control and are urging civilians to go to for protection. The evacuation point heads to 2 of these checkpoint zones. Some zones are more safe then others...but that is all left up to the randomness of the mission.

Objectives:

This mission is a sandbox really. You can do anything you desire.

The player(s) can select which town they want to be randomly spawned into.

Once the players are spawned, the world is randomly generated for a different type of gameplay each time. (With the exception of a few placed/triggered units)

Players are all Blufor soldiers. Except for the fact that they start out with nothing. No guns, no map, no gear. The players are forced to scavange for any items that they can use. (If they have not been stolen by the AI)

There are many things in this world for the player to do if you want some kind of objective.

1) Reach a town and fortify it. Other towns are better then some.

2) Recruit surviving AI civilians and arm them with weapons (If they don't already have one) to help you fight.

3) Find a military Checkpoint Zone and help them hold off the zombies.

4) Find the "special" civilians that are scattered around. They usually have a good weapon or two and are very skilled with it.

5) Survive.

6) If you have the patience, you can fly,walk or drive to the very northen part of the land and wait for the zombies to come for you.

7) Assault the Opfor encampment for better gear.

8) Repopulate a town with the "Revert Virus" if you want.

A fun one, if you spawn in Dolores, is making it to the "Evacuation Zone" before the infection level becomes too high (Or 30 minutes pass, hence the sterilization in the video) and they have to bail without you! But you are not the only one trying to make it to the zone. AI will be heading there as well. Some are not as friendly as others due to mass hysteria.

To be honest, this mission can go on for as long or as little as you want it to.

Difficultly Curve?:

The mission will have many different versions of it. Each removing or adding certain elements so the players can pick which mode is right for them.

Other then that the players will have to monitor the game themselfs. You can fly every where (If you manage to repair a helicopter) if you want but how much fun is a game where the only threat is on the ground? That is up to the player though.

Required Addons:

ACE 2

CAA1 (Sahrani)

*All the other required addons will be included in the download

crappy video for those who wanted to see a little teaser.

More to come later...

*I would like to give a big thanks to Charon Productions and the ACE team.

Percentage Done:

[==========] 99%

*Waiting for V.85 of the Undead Mod

Changes:ADDED NEW ACE EQUIPMENT

Edited by Minizzzile

Looking forward to this, will definitely try this with my friends when it is released.

Update:

Percentage updated

Thanks for the support, the mission is ready to be released but I am waiting for some red tape to get cleared.

EDIT: People who would like to help do a beta test PM me. Be warned...there are some very gruelling requirements. (Sahrani, ACE and the mission download itself)

Edited by Minizzzile

Got a couple days to spare if you need some more insight. I have all the other mods already.

Got a couple days to spare if you need some more insight. I have all the other mods already.

Alright thank you for your support!

Once i downloaded this mod, all i have been doing on my computer for the past couple of nights is make missions for me and my Brother. It's a blast, however, his computer isn't as fast as mine, and can't handle the amounts of zeds that i can, but i deem necessary for the sake of a good zombie mission.

So i say thank you for providing this for us, and taking your time to entertain us lesser talented people. :cheers:

However, is there any advice as to possibly increase the frame rate when you have say, 40+ zeds on screen?

Also, I'm not sure I'm doing the zed spawns right, but i lack good scripting skills anyhow, would just like some clarification on how to set those up.

Again, thank you for the sleepless nights of running around a besieged Chenarus.

In the event of a real zombie apocalypse, you have my gun.

Once i downloaded this mod, all i have been doing on my computer for the past couple of nights is make missions for me and my Brother. It's a blast, however, his computer isn't as fast as mine, and can't handle the amounts of zeds that i can, but i deem necessary for the sake of a good zombie mission.

So i say thank you for providing this for us, and taking your time to entertain us lesser talented people. :cheers:

However, is there any advice as to possibly increase the frame rate when you have say, 40+ zeds on screen?

Also, I'm not sure I'm doing the zed spawns right, but i lack good scripting skills anyhow, would just like some clarification on how to set those up.

Again, thank you for the sleepless nights of running around a besieged Chenarus.

In the event of a real zombie apocalypse, you have my gun.

Ha! Yeah, good spirit but wrong thread. Please, I do not take ANY credit for the mod.

I can help you with your spawning problem though.

Charon has created a module called Spawning Module (I believe)

All you have to do is place it down and you are good to go! It will spawn 12 zombies per 5 minutes I think. The module itself is highly customizeable there are many parameters you can place in the init field of the module itself.

I will be uploading Charon's README's so players can easily access them. It has allll your scripting needs and great examples.

Yes, thank you, and i didn't mean to post that in the wrong thread, i multitask alot and usually have more tabs open than i care to count, ha. just got mixed up.

But THANK YOU for for letting me know about the respwn thing, i couldn't find it to save my life. ha.

And i would much appreciate the readme files. :D

Is this level dead or something? Been wanting to play this.

It is alive and well.

It is actually 100% ready to go. I am just waiting for the latest version of the Undead Mod to be released.

You see, my mission is heavily dependent on the spawning module. In the current version V.84, the spawning module does not delete empty groups of zombies and will stop spawning zombies at all once the 144 group limit has been reached.

In version .85, there will be a fix for this. How long it takes to come out is all up to Charon.

So think of it as an extra treat to .85 haha.

There is one other way to try to play it. If I host you should be able to join and play with few consequences of the different version of the mod. The only trouble is with ACE 2.

I use a modded version of ACE 2 and I have not tested it with other normal ACE players. This could be a good test?

Edited by Minizzzile

That sounds like a good idea. I would be willing to participate.

That sounds like a good idea. I would be willing to participate.

In testing ACE 2 with my modded version of ACE 2?

Yes I would. I have the latest beta patch.

Ha, alright. You list a date and time and I will see if I can be there.

Well tonight at 1:00 GMT (BB time) tonight works fine, or anytime tomorrow past 5:00 GMT. Not sure what your timezone is so I used GMT :).

Dang, missed yesterdays. I can be there for the 5 GMT or after time though. You can contact me through steam (dominic169) or just message me on here. Steam might be quicker and easier.

Okay! The mission is currently ready for a public play through!

I will be hosting an Undead Mod game of this mission very soon. I only want a game with a max of 4 players!!

So if you want to play a MP mission download these addons (ignore the mission/Undead Mod that comes with it. You won't be needing it.)

Once you get that downloaded, post here that you want to have a run at the mission and I will add you to the list!

I hope to be playing with some of you very soon.

I've been waiting for this mission for a long time!

Already downloaded the pack, now im awaiting for the mission :D

Best regards

PS: can you make a smaller pack without the mod? For those that already have it. =)

Edited by anc

I've been waiting for this mission for a long time!

Already downloaded the pack, now im awaiting for the mission :D

Best regards

PS: can you make a smaller pack without the mod? For those that already have it. =)

Yes, I can upload another pack tonight when I get home, I originally did that for alpha testers that were just testing singleplayer.

Alright, if anyone is interested, just add me on steam (dominic169) and we can get a game in.

Any time that I am on steam, just send me a message through steam and we can hop on right then and there.