Sign in to follow this  
icewindo

Crusades/Medieval Mod

Hey Rydgyier nice work on the script, I'll finish the restructuring of the pbo tomorrow and send you it then. I had a try with the updated script and the archers were getting attacked now but still refused to use their bows.

The new pbo has no other addon requirements and it's just 40mb packed :) .

On a side note I've stumbled upon my roman models I created in 2009 for ArmA1 and just for fun added them into ArmA2 and used your script on them and had a little fight with the saracens :p

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-2400-00-15-22.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-2400-02-55-18.jpg

@dunnobe

Yep I've seen the dayz melee, but it's only player based and doesn't have all the advanced stuff like attack speed anims / hit ratio based on the skill, surrendering and much more stuff Rydgyier scripted in. Also as dayz uses actual weapons for melee the units use the rifle animations for walk/run apply so shields couldn't be used on the models anymore and every unit would hold a 1h weapon in both hands...

The new pbo has no other addon requirements and it's just 40mb packed

That's good. Will this contain also melee speed anim pbo content? I've a theory, why archers do not shoot. It is for 90% because of, probably unnecessary in fact, disabled AI "target" and "autotarget" (used this, when didn't know, that swords aren't a weapon, byt part of model, for "unarmed" unit such disabling shouldn't be needed), so solution may be very simple. Will be sure, when test this with new pbo. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Do shields have a proper function then in your mod? I know there's ballistic shield addons that stop incoming rounds...

I can try to answer instead of Icewindo, beacuse this is about my script in fact - I guess, that shields, as swords, are here just a part of a model. So by itself such shield rather haven't any impact. But in my melee script can be easily implemented, that classes of units, which models have shields, will be harder to hit. Can be also easily implemented impact of using of "real" shield item, if someday such item will be created. All this of course is simplified here. Chance of hit is just calculated based on some factors, not by "real" "physics" or geometry of shield/armor/unit model, bounding boxes, materials or such. It is determinated in pure arithmetic way with some randomization.

Is anyone handy at O2 and willing to move a few vertices for me?

I have a quick workaround so that the knights actually hold the blades with their hands:

After deleting all the RightHand selections except "RightHand" and adding the fingers to the "RightHand" selections the hand and fingers can be moved so that they grasp the blade.

However my results look more like a xenomorph and not like a hand position :rolleyes:.

Plz help

Do shields have a proper function then in your mod? I know there's ballistic shield addons that stop incoming rounds...

What Rydgyier said (for melee combat), for ballistics I tested abit to get shields to block arrows ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136374-Edit-infantry-fire-geometry-to-stop-bullets ) .

You are great at making these sort of things. I wish some of the Arma1 projects could be brought over with more ease. I love the idea of the Catapults.

Just a suggestion I see you have the ground warfare down. I was toying around with DBO Horse by Deanos Beanos the other day and it just hit me.

I wonder if you guys could use DBO horse Of course with Permission perhaps as a later add, but Modify it to have battle Tack so that you could have an armored horse to ride in on.

However I know the battle from a horse/Vehicle is near impossible in this game. I don't know how they managed to make the mod that allows shooting from the skids of the little bird.

Maybe that holds the key. Anyway just a thought. The animations look awesome and that woman powned those dudes.I hope to see this mod continue to progress.

In my opinion main problem with horses will be animations. All used currently fencing movements are already existing in game as sort of amateur fist-fighting (brawl). For fencing from horse's back, there will be needed brand new, custom set of animations...

Hmm I have done some work with horse in A2 but as outright animal not ridden , I often wondered if it's possible to attach a man with sword and use / abuse trigger animation , this would be a swing of the arm when weapon is fired , weapon is sword ,it has blank bullets ,this allows to trigger animation of swinging and then a simple code get nearest object select 1 ?

Just a thought for you .

This was horse I messed with , licence is granted by author As you see

http://www.download.lyndondaniels.com/ranchers/

Edited by Thromp

You are great at making these sort of things. I wish some of the Arma1 projects could be brought over with more ease. I love the idea of the Catapults.

Just a suggestion I see you have the ground warfare down. I was toying around with DBO Horse by Deanos Beanos the other day and it just hit me.

I wonder if you guys could use DBO horse Of course with Permission perhaps as a later add, but Modify it to have battle Tack so that you could have an armored horse to ride in on.

However I know the battle from a horse/Vehicle is near impossible in this game. I don't know how they managed to make the mod that allows shooting from the skids of the little bird.

Maybe that holds the key. Anyway just a thought. The animations look awesome and that woman powned those dudes.I hope to see this mod continue to progress.

Thanks, without Rydygier there wouldn't be such progress, it's awesome seeing the knights fight with his script :)

As for mounted combat, see the other answers down here

In my opinion main problem with horses will be animations. All used currently fencing movements are already existing in game as sort of amateur fist-fighting (brawl). For fencing from horse's back, there will be needed brand new, custom set of animations...

ProfTournesol uses animated vehicles for horse combat in his VVV Mod for OFP, this would require less animation work I think as there would be anims for the horse, a static anim for the rider and lowering the weapon. Anims for vehicles are also easier to create as they don't use RTMs (which seem to involve a fairly complex process if they're not static).

example video of mounted combat in the VVV mod:

http://www.youtube.com/rDgAIG6Uy-Q

Hmm I have done some work with horse in A2 but as outright animal not ridden , I often wondered if it's possible to attach a man with sword and use / abuse trigger animation , this would be a swing of the arm when weapon is fired , weapon is sword ,it has blank bullets ,this allows to trigger animation of swinging and then a simple code get nearest object select 1 ?

Just a thought for you .

This was horse I messed with , licence is granted by author As you see

http://www.download.lyndondaniels.com/ranchers/

That's also an interesting concept, the animation speed of the animal could be speed up in the config and the animal close in. Once close, it would trigger the animation like you said. Could be done even without a weapon though, like Rydygier created his melee script. Using a weapon would lead to weapon smoke which can't be disabled as it's always on.

Which animal anims did you use for the horse model/do you still have the files? I remember I once tried the cow anim with a free zebra model which didn't look so bad.

One word:

Jousting!

Dunno if that's harder or easier to implement than a battle but yep that would also be fun stuff.

Edited by Icewindo

Which animal anims did you use for the horse model/do you still have the files? I remember I once tried the cow anim with a free zebra model which didn't look so bad.

I used the horse in the link i gave in previous post , i still have files yes , possible i could make anims better too , i use ofp anim so its a bit time consume , i will send you open files in PM tonight, let me know if you think its worth pursue .

I used the horse in the link i gave in previous post , i still have files yes , possible i could make anims better too , i use ofp anim so its a bit time consume , i will send you open files in PM tonight, let me know if you think its worth pursue .

Thanks for the files, that's really great stuff I didn't think there'd be a way to create non-static anims without maya (and afaik there's no tutorials for that).

Here's a quick "proof of concept" using the horse, Rydygiers melee script and a little attachto / detach.

Is it also possible to create human animations with ofpanim? Like a static riding anim and one dynamic one where the right arm swings around or would this be a omgwtf work? I think I've also read about a static anim tutorial for O2 somewhere in the forums.

Hi,

Yes it's possible with ofpanim a bit mad but basically export old p3d and open in ofp anim

To make the lpv simply follow the model.cfg hierarchy . I will have a go next week if I have time to make ofpanim set up.

Best would be blender , export bhv , open bhv in O2 , but I struggle with blender

Attach/detach isn't a good idea IMHO. It's very cluncky, it would be much better using the vehicle class for the horse like i did for OFP. You'd better :

• create an "invisible/empty" vehicle with only one proxy cargo and one proxy driver in the res lods (and geo lod/fire geo lod for collision detection) ;
  • put your horse in the cargo position through a script launched at the init of the vehicle (eventhandlerwise), and animate it according to the vehicle speed through a script ;

Hmm

Just reading that gives me better idea , the carry system used for wounded men , horse is carrier and rider is wounded , think I will investigate it when I get chance , problem could be how one person control 2 units I guess but I not seen how it all works, I know solus carry would allow it because he used empty vehicle like yours .

EDIT

seems this carry of bis uses attachto anyway , look like vehicle idea is good , just some question about animation being played via speed on a network perhaps , i dont know these things if a script monitor speed and play animation according does it create network traffic ?

i tried attachto for now some simple anim for legs wider and maybe hold Some riens in future , also very simple swipe ( no sword in hand lol )

7sIME73WZdw

Edited by Thromp

Attach/detach isn't a good idea IMHO. It's very cluncky, it would be much better using the vehicle class for the horse like i did for OFP. You'd better :

• create an "invisible/empty" vehicle with only one proxy cargo and one proxy driver in the res lods (and geo lod/fire geo lod for collision detection) ;
  • put your horse in the cargo position through a script launched at the init of the vehicle (eventhandlerwise), and animate it according to the vehicle speed through a script ;

Hmm yep using attachto would also not work for human players, they'd have no control of the horse I guess.

Hmm

Just reading that gives me better idea , the carry system used for wounded men , horse is carrier and rider is wounded , think I will investigate it when I get chance , problem could be how one person control 2 units I guess but I not seen how it all works, I know solus carry would allow it because he used empty vehicle like yours .

EDIT

seems this carry of bis uses attachto anyway , look like vehicle idea is good , just some question about animation being played via speed on a network perhaps , i dont know these things if a script monitor speed and play animation according does it create network traffic ?

i tried attachto for now some simple anim for legs wider and maybe hold Some riens in future , also very simple swipe ( no sword in hand lol )

Nice stuff as said in the pm, I'll send you the unit pbo later so you can have that sword :p

Created this dude today in an hour of O2, I'm happy with the result :)

1200 polys, the chain takes away most of them.

flail-1.jpg

Also the units will display arrows now when they're hit, it's done the same as in the VVV mod. All the arrows use an alpha texture by default and on a eventhandler hit a random arrow will get textured. I also fixed the UV layout of the knights and lost 60 sections that way. That will also make it easier to include other skins which then can be added using hidden selections.

arrows1-1.jpg

I made some of the arrows go all the way through, looks even more nasty in game :D

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arrows2.jpg

Edited by Icewindo

Looking good there ICE :).

I have sometime this eveing i will try professor tournesol vehicle idea and let you have the files soon.

EDIT

well i got it but wow ,complicated thing . needs refining before i send it ;).

Edited by Thromp

Looking good there ICE :).

I have sometime this eveing i will try professor tournesol vehicle idea and let you have the files soon.

EDIT

well i got it but wow ,complicated thing . needs refining before i send it ;).

Sounds great Thromp, and take your time, no worries. This mod slept for 2 years so the knights can wait for their horses :)

Congratulations, great job, innovative ;)

Thanks, and thanks agan to Rydgyier, he played a good part in modding this further. Without his scripts fighting wouldn't be even half as fun. :)

---------

In the last days I've experimated with a new feature in a testing stage that is pretty gory (as in cutting body parts of in combat):

(yay! I scripted something that works)

I don't think this will be added to the units in general though, more like keeping it optional for cutscenes.

Can probably be used to replay this part of Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Edited by Icewindo

:D I think, that this may be even made possible in regular fight, but with very small occurrence probability (eg bigger for strongest strikes, but depends, how this is implemented, and of course only for finishing hits).

In the last days I've experimated with a new feature in a testing stage that is pretty gory (as in cutting body parts of in combat):

Haha fantastic things :).

well horse is slow maybe not two years but certainly that many months i think :)

you still working on this? why did u cross everying out?

Read the thread - or at least the recent posts - and it's obvious :P

Read the thread - or at least the recent posts - and it's obvious :P

well i looked through the posts back to page 7 and didnt see anything about why it was all crossed out. but i mostly made my last post so i will have posted twice. that aloud me to pm people. but none the less i found your comment to be a little rude and would appreciate it if u didnt talk to me ant more =)