Sign in to follow this  
icewindo

Crusades/Medieval Mod

Sad to hear.

On a side note: Elvis ain't dead! He just went home, to P3X-948. :yay:

Looks like Elvis just came slowly back from the dead...

Dunno but recently I felt like editing the units again, I touched them up abit, fixed some model errors and whatnot. I also added Rejenorsts sword sounds and deathcries available from his website to Rommels zombie script (edited by bktman) which is the script we used for the units back then.

Player melee combat is still an issue but it's pretty fun watching these dudes fighting anyway. And you can always take a bow..

All thanks to ProfTournesol for his inspiring Veni Vidi Vici mod for OFP, his mod paid a good part in coming to this point :bounce3: .

Things I'd still like to add to the units:

- wound textures

- slow down running animations

- faster fight animations - done (not seen in video yet, they still fight with the slow animations)

I also have some other buildings/siege stuff in WIP

Edited by Icewindo

I like that YT video ! Arrows need to be slowed a bit, but it's shaping up really nicely. More units would be awesome.

Put a high command module in there and you have a full war :)

Nice! I'd given up hope on this, frankly, so the new vid is a welcome surprice :)

I'd say its shaping up well and is allready good enough for machinisma or mission intro movies.

I'd like to make a timid suggestion of modelling some units wielding axes, daggers and maces,

instead of swords. Relatively easy edit work, I hope, but would greatly add variety.

Thanks again, you made my day :)

Swords just do not work in Arma....

The game's full title is Armed Assault not Gun Assault though....

Brilliant idea Icewindo. I think once you release a mini-addon set, you'll have a lot more interest. I can easily imagine siege game modes and castle assaults. You should work on a medieval 'officer class' such as having Richard the Lionheart and á¹¢alÄḥ ad-DÄ«n.

Edited by Mach2Infinity

I like that YT video ! Arrows need to be slowed a bit, but it's shaping up really nicely. More units would be awesome.

Put a high command module in there and you have a full war :)

Ok, I'll experiment abit with the speed but afaik if I changed the speed to much the AI didn't aim properly in the past.

Great to see this mod resurrected!
I second that!

Thanks dudes :smile:

Nice! I'd given up hope on this, frankly, so the new vid is a welcome surprice :)

I'd say its shaping up well and is allready good enough for machinisma or mission intro movies.

I'd like to make a timid suggestion of modelling some units wielding axes, daggers and maces,

instead of swords. Relatively easy edit work, I hope, but would greatly add variety.

Thanks again, you made my day :)

Yes that should be possible, as for variety I also have some other models allready like these:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/med1.jpg

(uhm... no... that's not Marian Quandt... u must be seeing things...)

I'll also add the Knights Templar and different colors for the Saracens using hiddenSelections once I'm done with the blood textures and the armed models.

The game's full title is Armed Assault not Gun Assault though....

Brilliant idea Icewindo. I think once you release a mini-addon set, you'll have a lot more interest. I can easily imagine siege game modes and castle assaults. You should work on a medieval 'officer class' such as having Richard the Lionheart and á¹¢alÄḥ ad-DÄ«n.

Thanks, yep the first release shouldn't be that far. As for further improving the melee combat system I'd need help but it's good enough for me to have some fun with the units.

Brilliant, it gives ArmA2 some fresh air ! Good luck with it :)

Yeah! I will find for this an interesting applications too.

Yeah! I will find for this an interesting applications too.

Hey Rydygier maybe you are even interested in improving the melee script? Your rincewinder scripts were really impressive and I guess you're a way better scripter than me.

As for the units, I've added blood textures today (may have overdone the blood on the chainmail though :wink_o: )

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-0921-35-17-13.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-0921-34-59-28.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-0921-37-02-76.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/arma2oa2012-06-0921-35-25-24.jpg

Well, I will be happy to see melee script Icewindo, that is for sure, I'm very curious, how such code is constructed, but if I'll be then able to improve it somehow - this is another story. Show me this code, and we will see. :)

Well, I will be happy to see melee script Icewindo, that is for sure, I'm very curious, how such code is constructed, but if I'll be then able to improve it somehow - this is another story. Show me this code, and we will see. :)

Ok, here's a mission using the script and standard units from OA (Rommels Zombie script edited by bktman and abit by me), it's fsm based so the BIS fsm editor can be used.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n1b4yuf4m95bhfs

I've seen that Charons Undead Mod uses sqf files rather than fsm. Maybe it's also worth experimenting If I ask ask Charon for permission on his zombie script and then we could remove all the additional zombie functions, zombies in his script weren't lagging as much as they do in the fsm script.

Edited by Icewindo

I believe, that sqf-based zombies (why, oh why so many people are so facinating with walking corpses? :) ) is not lagging, because has limited by engine number of available for them CPU cycles or something like that, but this means, that where many sqf scripts at the same time are running, there may be big delays in their execution and sqf is then not reliable anymore (I saw this, when tried to use Nice_Boat's Tank Damage System in Harvest Red campaign; optional possibility of turning off this limitation for sqf will be great engine improvement for me). Fsm aren't limited in such way if I'm not mistaken, so there is no delays, but may occurs lags, when CPU is overloaded). As for today I know only sqf, fsms not a bit, however I'm determined to knom fsms too, so will look at this. Thanks. :)

Edited by Rydygier

After first look:

- I see, that fsms are very similar to sqf, code syntax looks same plus some nice "block" algorithm organization, that is good;

- found thing, that especially interesed me - attack animations. Curious, how their names was retrieved, if these aren't listed here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA2:_Moves

Is there some other source of possible animations? or perhaps these are custom maded somehow?

- still not sure, if will be able to help, but a question: any special wishes, what aspect should be improved? If I think about sword fencing, such aspects looks important to me: chance to block or dodge and perhaps at least three possibly targeted parts of enemy body: legs, torso, head (so attacker will somehow (by mouse targeting?) choose attacked part, defender will choose, which part is currently protected). Problem is, how to determine, who is atacker, and who defender, but I think, that for simplyfying may be considered, that both are attackers, when uses sword attack, and always some part of his body is simultanously protected by mail/shield/helmet or blade itself. As for AI fighting (or maybe player's too) - protected part is randomly selected, so no all attacks mean wounds/death, so fights may become more unpredictable, longer and immersive. Or simply, chance for blocking any attack may be bounded with unit's skills and/or kind (if has armor or shield) somehow also dependent of other circumstancies, as if enemy is armed or if is attacked frontally, or from behind (makes battles more tactical-friendly because of flanking possibility). Best, if missed strike will have own animation, but this is probably unreal, so sufficient should be no damage dealt in such cases plus another hit sound to signal, that attack was ineffective. Maybe also chance for loosing (dropping) sword during fencing, which obviously makes attack impossible, but also reduces chance for block strike... What do you think? Unless such features are currently present? :)

EDIT: after second look:

I saw demo and now can see, what do you mean, that FSM is lagging here. Hmm. Must learn more about FSM to know, why this is happening, if mission is so CPU-not-heavy. To much code as for FSM? Guessing, and there is no as much code here. Or maybe this is because, as I can see, there is disabled AI "ANIM" (I guess, totally replaced with chosen anims and emulated movement with not so smooth way? Full "manual" control over unit causing this?).

Edited by Rydygier

Icewindo,this mod is a really great concept for A2.Although A2CO isn't suited very well for melee warfare,I saw the videos and it is very playable.

Btw I know you're also an great map maker(played with your SG maps) and I'm aware the mod is called Crusades,but any chance you could make a small woodland map with two castles and a few villages for this mod?

Would be neat to have two lords fighting eachother for controlling the territory.

Thanks for looking into this Rydygier :bounce3:

After first look:

- I see, that fsms are very similar to sqf, code syntax looks same plus some nice "block" algorithm organization, that is good;

- found thing, that especially interesed me - attack animations. Curious, how their names was retrieved, if these aren't listed here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA2:_Moves

Is there some other source of possible animations? or perhaps these are custom maded somehow?

Yes I found these animations using this tool:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10941#comments

They're special cutscene animations used in the Red Harvest campaign afaik.

- still not sure, if will be able to help, but a question: any special wishes, what aspect should be improved? If I think about sword fencing, such aspects looks important to me: chance to block or dodge and perhaps at least three possibly targeted parts of enemy body: legs, torso, head (so attacker will somehow (by mouse targeting?) choose attacked part, defender will choose, which part is currently protected). Problem is, how to determine, who is atacker, and who defender, but I think, that for simplyfying may be considered, that both are attackers, when uses sword attack, and always some part of his body is simultanously protected by mail/shield/helmet or blade itself. As for AI fighting (or maybe player's too) - protected part is randomly selected, so no all attacks mean wounds/death, so fights may become more unpredictable, longer and immersive. Or simply, chance for blocking any attack may be bounded with unit's skills and/or kind (if has armor or shield) somehow also dependent of other circumstancies, as if enemy is armed or if is attacked frontally, or from behind (makes battles more tactical-friendly because of flanking possibility). Best, if missed strike will have own animation, but this is probably unreal, so sufficient should be no damage dealt in such cases plus another hit sound to signal, that attack was ineffective. Maybe also chance for loosing (dropping) sword during fencing, which obviously makes attack impossible, but also reduces chance for block strike... What do you think? Unless such features are currently present? :)

Yep this sounds like a nice idea, having a chance to miss in the fight and landing different blows. The sound for the miss could be a "woosh" for indication.

Some things that currently stand out:

- units lagging

- sometimes if the units bunch up one might stand ontop the other (I'm experimentating with a changed geometry lod abit here but I don't really know if it changed that)

- when all targets are dead the units behave weird, seems they're stuck somehow

EDIT: after second look:

I saw demo and now can see, what do you mean, that FSM is lagging here. Hmm. Must learn more about FSM to know, why this is happening, if mission is so CPU-not-heavy. To much code as for FSM? Guessing, and there is no as much code here. Or maybe this is because, as I can see, there is disabled AI "ANIM" (I guess, totally replaced with chosen anims and emulated movement with not so smooth way? Full "manual" control over unit causing this?).

BIS uses alot of FSMs for the AI behaviour and I think they're more complex than this script so the disabledai anim might be the cause, I didn't notice it was disabled before.

I've also experimentated with replacing the running animations for the units in the config (not in the script) with walking animations. This makes the lag abit less noticeable:

Maybe the script could be improved so that the units switch from running to walk if they come into closer range.

There was an awesome Melee Addon for Operation Flashpoint: http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/t-55903.html

The Unit´s hit and blocked each other very well.

Yep I also know that addon, it's an insane amount of scripting and rigging, the creator created about 20 rtms by himself and the scripts are pretty complex. Very impressive job.

great Idea! I love this so far

Icewindo,this mod is a really great concept for A2.Although A2CO isn't suited very well for melee warfare,I saw the videos and it is very playable.

Btw I know you're also an great map maker(played with your SG maps) and I'm aware the mod is called Crusades,but any chance you could make a small woodland map with two castles and a few villages for this mod?

Would be neat to have two lords fighting eachother for controlling the territory.

That might be doable once I finish the castle walls+structures, for the villages I could use the palisades and huts I created before.

Edited by Icewindo

OK. Not sure at the moment when, may even pass some weeks, but will try at first to prepare some sqf from a scratch to explore and deeply understand the specifics of these fencing matters, and then will consider, if better is make this fsm, or stay with sqf. This rather will be not so complex, like these really impressive lightsaber scripts. And will try rather be based as far, as possible on default movement, not disabling everything, like some puppet master... :) Interesting challenge and new things to learn and practice. Exciting! Will return here with some results, so if I'm not return, this would mean simply no results to show. :)

YEAHH!!!!!! Awesome man I got so hyped watching this. Monty Python anyone? I'll be the first to make the mission "the Search for the Holy Grail just let me know when its done. oh and YEAH!!!

OK. Not sure at the moment when, may even pass some weeks, but will try at first to prepare some sqf from a scratch to explore and deeply understand the specifics of these fencing matters, and then will consider, if better is make this fsm, or stay with sqf. This rather will be not so complex, like these really impressive lightsaber scripts. And will try rather be based as far, as possible on default movement, not disabling everything, like some puppet master... :) Interesting challenge and new things to learn and practice. Exciting! Will return here with some results, so if I'm not return, this would mean simply no results to show. :)

Sounds great Rydygier, take your time :) . I also think the lightsaber script was probably to complex, if you put in some more jedis the game would lag pretty soon.

YEAHH!!!!!! Awesome man I got so hyped watching this. Monty Python anyone? I'll be the first to make the mission "the Search for the Holy Grail just let me know when its done. oh and YEAH!!!

Good thing rabbits are allready in the game and a holy hand grenade wouldn't be that hard to create I guess :p

As we all know, some "weeks" are shorter, than other (especially weeks of vacation). Anyway, already I have some result, I just could not resist to make some scripting about this today. It is very, very wip, but somehow works, so you can see, what is direction of my efforts here:

AIFencing-very-wip

(nothing to do, just watch)

Implemented hit accuracy, block chance, various hit damage and attack frequency based on various skills. Also added fatigue factor, so with every stroke fatigue should to grow, and delay before next stroke should be rather longer, than same or shorter. If not in fight, resting procedure is active. All this of course not balanced yet. All randomized in limited range. SQF based only.

Main problems at this stage:

- often weird movement directions (they should always run towards nearest enemy then fight, but sometimes they don't, but rather running away, still should return sooner or later);

- "stroke" directions for some reason often bad;

- always running, but they should rather to walk, when enemy is close or very far.

- often weird movement directions (they should always run towards nearest enemy then fight, but sometimes they don't, but rather running away, still should return sooner or later);

The Sir Robin effect?:)

:)

Yeah, true, probably this is vanilla group fleeing behaviour (each unit is a separate group).

EDIT: It is. Disabled fleeing, and running away is no more. All are very, very brave now. :)

BTW. Someone knows, what is difference between parameter set by allowFleeing and skill "courage"?

Edited by Rydygier