marcomio

Retextured Afghanistan

81b571020323c3764f50dc6c2c6baa432g.jpg

538744e3c15924c7c0067769c79dbec82g.jpg

8c67dd7b3ff7c48bfb3066f00a084d662g.jpg

CAT-AFGHANISTAN RETEXTURED (V. 1)

First release of modified CAT-Afghanistan with groundtextures in 2048x2048 resolution. This is my attempt to get close to the structure of desert textures and their colours. I tried to figure out, which ones are the main ones and which might be useful in other desert terrains later on as well. Probably, one or two textures may get a rework. This is the first release, so if you find some bugs in texturing (mismatching texture-tiles etc.) or object placing, please let me know for patching them. Also it is not 100 percent complete: There are some little things and details still missing. But it is ready enough to be tested, because the implementation of those “little things†will cost a lot of time, which I don’t have in the moment. As I always mentioned: Constructive criticism is always welcome.

INSTALLATION:

I recommend the usage of a Mod-folder, or you have to make a backup of the following files before replacing them with the new ones of this project:

Normally to find in the addons or Res\addons folder:

1) BAS_O.pbo (the file with the new textured BAS-roads and walls)

2) DMA_libya_o.pbo (the file with the new textured DMA-trailpath)

3) CATintro.pbo (the default CAT-Afghanistan Island)

The anims-folder and the MARCOMIO Texturepack has to go into the default …Operation Flashpoint\Addons folder.

If you never enabled an OFP mod, refer to this

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

I) What you get with this first release:

==========================

- Complete retextured CAT-Afghanistan Island for OFP in 2048 resolution (version 1).

- Newly built and/or altered roadwork with new connections or complete new textured roads to be more independant from airtransport. Also, the enemy AI will take advantage of the new roadwork and get to you faster than before (take care).

- Altered landscape for better drivability in some places (smoothing).

- Added BAS-Tonal objects (from Tonal Redux) DMA-Libya objects and OFPD Objects (from Afghan Everon map) to have more variety and enterable buildings and hideouts in urban fights.

- Added a whole bunch of great Mapfact-stuff, which you can see below in the Download-section.

- AGS Industrial and Harbour pack, 3WX Objects pack (compiled by Agent Smith)

- All textures used are from http://www.cgtextures.com, a very good source for free textures

- Textures, which are not as perfect as I wished they are – so some patch may occur to improve them (I recommend to take a look at the screenshots to get an impression of how they look now and if they are worth it…)

- It is not tested with all the nice missions and campaigns out there, so you have to do this by yourself. The DMA-Missions with VDV or DELTA/RANGERS works fine for me. I didn't encounter any problems so far. Don't start nagging, if other campaigns or missions don’t fit with the modified Island - perhaps it is easier, to adapt the mission/campaign to the island instead adapting the island to the mission.

DOWNLOADS:

CAT-Afghanistan Island in 2048 res: http://www.mediafire.com/?nqloiitqjnz

(The anims-folder should be placed in the default ….Operation Flashpoint\Addons –folder)

"MARCOMIO"-texturepack: http://www.mediafire.com/?j2tzfy52q5m

(goes in the default …Operation Flashpoint\Addons-folder)

This texture pack nicely converted into 512x512 resolution by Reyhard for less powerful PC's or graphic-cards: http://csc.armacenter.pl/Addons/Teatry/MARCOMIO.rar

Mirrors for it appreciated! (Thanks)

AGS Industrial Pack 3.0 [7,9 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/AGS_Industrial_Pack_v.3.0.rar

AGS Harbor Pack 2.0 [5,7 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/AGS_Harbor_Pack_2.0.zip

3WX Object Pack 1.1 [8,3 MB] from http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/ag_smith/downloads/F3WX_O1_V.1.1.rar

Mapfact Barracks V 1.5 [2,7 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/Baracken1_5.zip

MAPFACT Misc from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_Misc_v1.00.rar

MAPFACT Oiladdon 1.02 [7,2 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_OilAddon_v1.02.rar

MAPFACT MilObj-Pack 1.0 [3,8 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_MilObj-Pack_V1_0.rar

MAPFACT MAP_Shed 1.0 [237 kB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_Shed_V1.0.rar

Mapfact's Airport / JOF_Objects 1.2 [1,3 MB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/JOF_Objects1_2.zip

MAP Heaps V2.0 [229 kB] from ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/MAP_Heaps_V1.1.rar

Afghan objects by OFPD-Mod: http://www.mediafire.com/?ytmfmzzihmo

DMA Libya objects: http://www.mediafire.com/?jyqji3mnq3h

BAS-Objects from Tonal Redux: http://www.mediafire.com/?w5tfjqmtakm

Credits:

======

There are so many people involved when looking at the amount of addons, it is not possible to name all the single persons. In this case, I like to say a big thank you to them all.

The CAT-Afghanistan Island was originally done by CAT_SHIT_ONE and than updated by Agent Smith (AGS). Thanks to them for letting me use the Island for my texturing-purposes.

Thanks to the OFPD-Team for giving permission to use their objects in own maps.

Special thanks goes to Martin for steady help and support with this project.

Furtheron to Sanctuary for his patience with all my questions and his help (since years…..), and yes, I will test your new animations, especially the wall-climbing feature, because there are a lot of walls now on the new Island….

Even to Ebud, who gave me generous permission to mod Tonal Redux objects for use in my own project.

Many thanks also to the Mapfact Team for nice addons and to ProfTournesol for helping me with some special questions.

All textures used are from http://www.cgtextures.com, one of the very good sources for free textures.

Should I have missed somebody, who I forget to name, please let me know.

OKAY, I hope I didn’t forget something. Download and test it. :D

UPDATE 05-23-2010:

Here is a version with BIS-roads instead the retextured ones, so peolple and AI now should be able to use the roads correcty. This brings back the appropriate driving behavior (no "slow-driving"-bug and hopefully no AI way-finding problem). Didn't managed to get the nicer looking replacements to work. Sorry.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y0jdot0nkgj/CATintro BIS roads.7z

Edited by marcomio

@Marco

Didn't you do this already? Is it a 2048x2048 version of past work? Looks nice, will test out with Afghan missions soon.

Thank you, I'll try that right away.

I wonder how many different versions were made of that island, like 4 or 5 maybe?

Cool, I dare say my coop buddies and I will be spending a lot of time on this island.

I downloaded it and its sh*t :biggrin: just joking great island man those ground textures are awesome, as I said, this is how ArmA1 was meant to look, then I would actually buy the game :oh: and I love the roads especially the concrete ones with cracks and those buildings that go over the road in the town of Kandahar look nice :smile:

The desert is a bit empty, needs some more rocks or grass, maybe a little oasis :biggrin: I certainly hope that some Coop missions will come out for this island, it has a great atmosphere and perfect for Coop's.

As for lag, I didn’t have any, played the game on maximum settings except I keep the terrain at "very low" because OFP makes the terrain very bumpy which I don't like, but this is because I have a very powerful computer, you should also release the textures in 1024x1024 and 512x512 so people with low end computers can enjoy too, keep up the great work and again I hope to see missions for this, I didn’t play a good Coop in ages. :ok:

Also I just wanted to point out for those of you who don’t know, it happens on some video cards like my old nVidia GeForce 7600gs that if you run OFP with a island that uses textures bigger then 1024x1024 sometimes the game crashes (this happened to me on my old PC while running the Malden island with 2048x2048 textures but it doesn’t happen on my new nVidia GeForce 250gts). To resolve this issue you must set your OFP brightness and gamma to 1.0 or lower in the Video Options in the game.

Edited by -Martin-
Just added a sentance

you should also release the textures in 1024x1024 and 512x512 so people with low end computers can enjoy too

Also I just wanted to point out for those of you who don’t know, it happens on some video cards like my old nVidia GeForce 7600gs that if you run OFP with a island that uses textures bigger then 1024x1024 sometimes the game crashes (this happened to me on my old PC while running the Malden island with 2048x2048 textures but it doesn’t happen on my new nVidia GeForce 250gts). To resolve this issue you must set your OFP brightness and gamma to 1.0 or lower in the Video Options in the game.

I think decreasing the resolution of the ground textures from OFP preferences under Advanced -> Textures might work too for both of your remarks. Just a tip.

A QUESTION TO ALL:

Did someone noticed a kind of "slow-driving" bug on the roads? Driving on other roads than OFP default ones, seems to cause this misbehaviour. I have absolutely no clue, what could be the reason for this effect! I don't want to change the new textures to the old OFP ones with low res and stretched texturing.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

A QUESTION TO ALL:

Did someone noticed a kind of "slow-driving" bug on the roads? Driving on other roads than OFP default ones, seems to cause this misbehaviour. I have absolutely no clue, what could be the reason for this effect! I don't want to change the new textures to the old OFP ones with low res and stretched texturing.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

You need to texturize your roadway-LOD, too. Take a look at BIS-roads to see which textures they are using.

If you want the roads to behave in a different way than the BIS-roads, then you texturize your roadway-LOD with your own texture and make a new entry in CfgSurfaces.

when i have my new pc platform on my lappy already tried and its a no go sadly :( but its looking realy nice downloading it and keeping it in my addon stock :yay:

tested it a lot and have found some bugs - first of all - buildings from original Cat Afghanistan behave very strange. Some of them have textures that look like someone saved them without alpha channel (carpet with black outline), or have somehow damaged geometry. The last one is very annoying, because you & AI can move through Hotel building (if I remember name exactly - I may send screenshot if it's needed). After that building is destroyed, it falls like it was a fence.

Concerning problem of texture sized, that mentioned -Martin- - I made version of those textures in 512x512. Uncompressed, it weights 45mb, after compressing it with winrar - about 17mb. It runs very well on my computer, that has GF6150 and 512mb of memory :). If marcomio agrees, I may give link over there, for those, who has as crappy graphic cards as me.

@All: Thanks for comments and info

@Rellikki: Thank you for dl-mirror! Once released, could you mirror the 512x512 version of Reyhard too? Thanks in advance. :)

@vektorboson: I'm on it. I think giving the roadtextures in BAS_Objects.pbo the BIS-Names (asfaltka, silnice etc.) is easier instead of adding lines into the config under CfgSurfaces. The most people don't want to change or add values in the default OFP-Config I think. :whistle:

@Reyhard: Yep, screenshots would be nice to have a look at it. Concerning the misbehaviour of some buildings: It may depend on some changes made, to make their contours visible in WRP-tool instead having this freaky blue rectangles with the questionmark in it. The L-shaped, high building with the single enterable room on the groundfloor (called "ags government building" as far as I believe) has to be replaced with the old one. I noticed too, that it falls on it's side, when it is destroyed. :( This behaviour occured as it was made visible for WRP-tool. For the other buildings, it would be good to have a picture.

As for the lower res texture-set in 512x512: You are welcome to release it, giving me credit as creator of the default 2048x2048 texturepack. Any support in this case is appreciated! Once released, I will add the dl-link with your name in the first post, so people can see right away, that there is a further version made available by Reyhard :)

So long :)

. If marcomio agrees, I may give link over there, for those, who has as crappy graphic cards as me.

U think, that U have crappy gf. :eek: what about gforce 2 400 mx :yay:

It thath island work very well with this graphic card and 256 MB Ram.

I know that's 8 years old computer :rolleyes: (old school) :p

This is fantastic! Are you interested in hearing about any minor bugs? It doesn't really matter at all and certainly doesn't detract from the map. At grid reference Hd 44, facing north there is a rock formation that you can walk through and a missing texture.

ADDED REYHARD'S 512 x 512 VERSION OF MARCOMIO TEXTURE PACK TO FIRST POST!!

Thanks, Reyhard. :)

@All: thanks for support and nice comments.

@Fennar: Yes, any bug-report is highly appreciated. Everything form misplaced textures, floating objects or walls (I know, there were some....) or something else, which should be "repaired".

Known bugs so far:

- Some Afhganistan buildings showing a misbehavior like "falling on their side" when hit or destroyed. This will be reworked in the updated version.

- Roads still have this "Slow-driving"-bug, depending on missing addon-cfg with appropriate Cfg surface - values. Will also be added in the next update.

If you should find more of this, pls let me know. :)

Edited by marcomio

it looks like you have binarised it without textures.

1.jpg

those two buildings bellow have that bug.

2.jpg

3.jpg

anyway, thanks a lot for that island, it's great :)

greet.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. :)

Those two buildings weren't converted for wrp tool visibility. They come untouched from the original DMA-Libya Objects pack. But I will try to correct it for the next update.

BTW: Do you have a tool to batch-convert pac/paa-files (or how did you resized the texture-pack)?. If so, it would be great to change some colourvalues with it to get a more pale/greyish variant of textures - better fit the rest of the white and grey CAT-afghan buildings and/or to have a additional choice.

Anyway, thanks for help :)

I used Photoshop macro thing and paa plugin (by Kegetys) for resizing all those textures. It took over 2 houres to resize all those textures (did I said before, that I have crappy machine :P?).

@miho - you know, your gf card have some built in memory - mine doesn't :D

Hello there marcomio. When will you release update of your Afghanistan? The island is beautiful but problems with roads makes it unplayable in SP. AI drive here like idiots!

Hi there. I look for help concerning this road-problem, which give me the creeps too!! In the moment, there are so many "real life" things to be done, so I run a bit out of time. Till now, I know form vektorboson, that the roadway-lod is responsable for the behavoir. But till now, I didn't managed to implement that into the roads yet, because I am absolute not familiar with this kind of editing stuff. If all things don't work, I will go back to the default BIS roads, so player and AI can drive normal on them.

UPDATE 05-23-2010

Here is a version with BIS-roads instead the retextured ones, so peolple and AI now should be able to use the roads correcty. This brings back the appropriate driving behavior (no "slow-driving"-bug and hopefully no AI way-finding problem). Didn't managed to get the nicer looking replacements to work. Sorry.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y0jdot0nkgj/CATintro BIS roads.7z

(FIRST POST UPDATED TOO)

Edited by marcomio

First post updated with BIS-road version for appropriate driving behavior (now slow driving and AI way-finding bug).