Sign in to follow this  
fish44

ARMA 2 and VAC (Voice Activated Commands)

"Space"; "["; "["; "9"; "9"; "1"

replace the first '9' with the 'default action' key ('ENTER'). You should be good then

Edit -Yes that does work! Brilliant! I had the right keys but was not using them in the right combination on the command lines.

Thanks for babysitting me thru this mate!

Edited by froggyluv

OK, I got this working now OK. Thanks also for the hand holding.

The VAC saved profiles are save in (in my case with WinXP32): C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\Application Data\VAC\Profiles

Assuming the default Arma 2 keys, you can either open the profile with the VAC Builder and do it using that interface or open the VAC profile with Notepad and copy and paste the following in:

<command name="Red Team Move" phrase="Red team Move" category="Team">

<key extended="SPACE" extended2="NONE" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>

<key value="[[" extended="NONE" extended2="NONE" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>

<key extended="ENTER" extended2="NONE" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>

<key value="91" extended="NONE" extended2="NONE" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>

</command>

For the other team colors, copy and duplicate the set above but subsitute the red "1" above with:

2 - for the green team

3 - for the blue team

4 - for the yellow team

5 - for the white team

In my profile I also added a voice command for "ENTER". I used two different words/phrases to activate it- "enter" and "over there". When I order a team or individual unit to move, I first speak, for example saying "red team move" and then move my cursor/crosshair where I want them and speak the words "over there" and it works great.

Oh my does this VACthing make the game and controls soooooo much easier and more fun and intuitive! Thanks again!

Edited by SeaVee

Good idea on the Enter command. I've also added SNKMNS "Force Move" command, and man does this revolutionize commanding AI. So much more immersive and gratifying having those pesky AI hear you out! I could never go back now.

Next will be "F*ck off!" and attach that to the Hide command.

Having the enter command is great on VAC. You can look at a vehicle, building, etc. or whatever the context command is highlighted on and speak enter rather than hit the enter key.

...I've also added SNKMNS "Force Move" command, and man does this revolutionize commanding AI. So much more immersive and gratifying having those pesky AI hear you out! I could never go back now.

Next will be "F*ck off!" and attach that to the Hide command.

What is the "Force Move" command?

Edited by SeaVee

Force Move is a command created by SNKMN for his GL4 mod. It allows you to give a direct order to the AI to immediately either return to the Leader position (you), or any spot on the mini-map. Especially in light of the recent auto-danger which sometimes freezes the AI into inaction, it is extremely useful.

..... Thanks for babysitting......

:blush:

Anyone found a way (requires a mod I guess) to hide the command menu on left when using VAC?

When having VAC working it would be nice to completely get rid of the flashing menu while ordering the AI, would increase the immersion even more.

/KC

I've been trying to use this but even after training the Windows Speech Recognition thing for 1-2 hours, it still doesn't seem to want to work all that accurately for me. :\

EDIT: I had been using a Bluetooth headset as a mic, but I tried switching to a desktop-mounted regular Creative boom mic I had laying around, and it seems to work a LOT better now. Not sure what the deal was with the headset, maybe it just wasn't high enough quality. Gonna go try out VAC now!

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Okay, I tried it, works pretty good now! One question: Is there a reason you used NumPad . as the activation key? For me, that brings up the command view. Are there any buttons that you know of in-game that are not bound? Ideally, I would use the side mouse button, but VAC doesn't seem to support those natively.

Edited by MavericK96

Okay, I tried it, works pretty good now! One question: Is there a reason you used NumPad . as the activation key? For me, that brings up the command view. Are there any buttons that you know of in-game that are not bound? Ideally, I would use the side mouse button, but VAC doesn't seem to support those natively.

Try SCROLL LOCK or PAUSE BREAK.

I would love to try this, but sadly VAC crashes with this error.

"VAC encountered an internal system error and needs to close.

Internal error code:

0xC000757A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED"

Ive looked around on the support forums, and people have had this error as well, the maker of the software likes to email the solution to people though... :/

apparantly thats a WIN7/Vista issue thats caused by the registration system the program uses - the author told me to uninstall the program completely then install it again with User Account Control disabled (can re-enable it after install) then says he'd send me an app to reset my trial period back to 30 days (athough I'm awaiting that at present) to give me a proper chance to demo the software..

Huh, I was never told that it was a demo :p

Maybe I dl'ed an older version thats free.

if you downloaded from the VAC website its only free for 30 days. Then it needs a purchased registration code. One time cost of $18. Absolutely worth it IMO even if you use it in Arma2 alone. I'm also going to be set up a profile for some of my flight games too. The possibilities are almost endless.

........Is there a reason you used NumPad . as the activation key?
......Because I'm left handed, ive re-mapped some commands in Arma........

But if you don't like it, it's soooooo easy to choose another from the VAC software!!

:bigsmile:

But if you don't like it, it's soooooo easy to choose another from the VAC software!!

:bigsmile:

Oh, no, I know it's easy to change. I guess I didn't see that you were left-handed and remapped the controls. I was mostly just looking for some advice on what button to map that would not already be mapped in the default controls (because this game has so many as is).

Like I said, side mouse buttons would be ideal, but VAC doesn't support them. I guess I could remap a command to the side buttons in-game and then set VAC to whatever that key was...

apparantly thats a WIN7/Vista issue thats caused by the registration system the program uses - the author told me to uninstall the program completely then install it again with User Account Control disabled (can re-enable it after install) then says he'd send me an app to reset my trial period back to 30 days (athough I'm awaiting that at present) to give me a proper chance to demo the software..

I installed with UAC off... and have yet to turn it back on.

I installed with UAC off... and have yet to turn it back on.

Thats how I installed it, flawlessly. (I hate UAC, and never have it on).

ok its now working following the author's help - I'll not be going back to keyboard commanding AI...

Fish, great stuff, but I was wondering if you used the standard default key bindings for ARMA2? Or do we have to rearrange that before using your profile?

You can use the default keybindings. VAC is only pressing keys for you, you define what keys to press.

It works great but for some reason i cannot use a toggle button.

Preferably i would use TAB, but the program wont work for me if i assign any button for voice activation.

Only when i dont assign anything does the program work, which in itself would be fine but for some reason the game or the program keeps opening menus and assigning random orders, perhaps from the sound of my breathing or the program reacting to AI chatter.

What should i do to make TAB the button to toggle on or off the voice activation?

It should be simple but i cant get it to work properly.

I cant believe i'm just finding out about this now, this is awesome!

I have a german Windows version and so I have to configure it in german. Will Windows can handle the english orders?

Anyone tried that?