Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality Development

Could have, if I was into butt kissing. Sometimes honesty is harsh, at least I offered to forgo finalizing an opinion without first hand experience and took the time to acknowledge that they are contributing to this community. I can give my opinion about it, whether positive or not, and not flame them for having done the work. Not everyone likes the same things.

Appreciated anfiach - nothing wrong with honesty.

I look forward to your comments on the news update on Friday ...

If I might propose something: let's not mention out experiences with BF2 mod.

We all have varying opinions about BF2:PR, but I don't think the Arma2 mod will have much resemblance in mechanics of game. I expect it to be better, so let's allow it to stand on its own.

As for the trailer... Guys you're so easily impressed. :|

These models are years old and made for BF2 engine, there is no way they could be on par with current standards (not industry standards anyway).

IMO it's an "OK start", most models and sounds are ported over and they work. That's quick progress.

These models are years old and made for BF2 engine,

Not really correct, as a modeler yourself you will be aware these are made in 3d max for either engine, but yes the current ones have been optimised for BF2 - and will eventually be re imported after being optimised for this engine ;)

there is no way they could be on par with current standards (not industry standards anyway).

The PR Dev who created them works in the industry and has done for 10 years, with numerous freelance contracts, so thank you for your comments, however we think his work is very good :D

http://www.pintura3d.com/cache/Aircraft/Harrier_Skyscene2_w710_h533.jpg

http://www.pintura3d.com/cache/Aircraft/vray_m-8_1_w710_h444.jpg

http://www.pintura3d.com/cache/Aircraft/vray_m-8_5_w710_h444.jpg

Edited by Craig.Turner

We all have varying opinions about BF2:PR, but I don't think the Arma2 mod will have much resemblance in mechanics of game. I expect it to be better, so let's allow it to stand on its own.

These models are years old and made for BF2 engine, there is no way they could be on par with current standards (not industry standards anyway).

IMO it's an "OK start", most models and sounds are ported over and they work. That's quick progress.

You're a modeller and I appreciate that colours your perspective but I fear you're missing the point. The excitement isn't about the assets (though they're certainly very nice and plenty good enough), it's about the promise of great public multi-player something ArmA has failed dismally at and PR has a reputation for excellence in. First class models do not make a great game.

UK_Force;1595680']Not really correct' date=' as a modeler yourself you will be aware these are made in 3d max for either engine[/quote']That's not a given.

It's easily done if you went the hard way and made proper hipoly models (it will also give much nicer normal maps). Which even in industry is not a given, some prefer to do it "the old way".

I am going by what I see in the trailer. I can tell his diffuse is great (thou I see shading applied on them - totally unnecessary), I think the normal maps could be better and the specular might need tweaking, or it can be the quality loss of video and the way the shots were set up.

Overall impression: I don't see materials, everything is either dark or blurry.

I hope you'll make the picture more clear in your next releases. If the models are great it doesn't show with this lightning and framing.

The renders are a bit too tiny to see the details, I can see however you have a good cockpit.

Edited by Panda_pl

Graphics..who cares! Tired of hearing about how many rivets something actually has or whether or not the shell casings can be seen ejecting. That's nothing but eye candy.

Read the serial number on your rifle and the computer shoves a banana in your mouth.:p

I'm playing DukeNukem 3D and finding it a blast. Excellent game play. Graphics aren't all that great even in Win7 64 but fun non the less. How many crap games out there were sold based solely on eye candy (graphics).

PR is about game play and THAT is what interest me. That's why I'm so looking forward to it's release.

If it also looks pretty well , that's just a bonus.

edit : just looked at the screen shots and OMG it does....

Yup, good points there. I'm just happy to see some more content coming to A2. Personally I don't play MP so if it's an MP-only type Mod then unfortunately I won't be playing it. Regardless, it's always great to see more projects coming to A2. In my eyes the continued community involvement in this game is a testament to the base product BIS put out there.

I do get a chuckle when screens, videos, etc are released. The flood of "love" is a riot. At times it's warranted but other times I often wonder if some people are actually checking out what's being presented in any detail or simply posting praise just for the hell of it.

I did enjoy the video for sure. It was well made. I look forward to see what is in store and I'm hoping it's playable for us SP schlubs. Either way it's good to see PR in A2.

anfiach,

Tact may be slightly missing but it's not like you just started lobbing bombs. I can't fault you for speaking your mind and not being a dick about it.(Not like my opinion holds any weight but I figured I'd get your back on this one.)

Im looking forward to the public PvP gameplay that PR is famous for. I dont care much about new addons. Its nice and all but not the point of PR, or is it?

That is one thing I wonder about, why new addons? Wouldnt it be easier for PR to promote PR gameplay using vanilla arma2 as the gameplay is mostly defined in the missions?

I tried to read it all ... but only got the first 10 pages or so. So maybe it has already been said or discussed .. :o

I looked at the website and saw that the mod for BF requires to sign up and the language is quite professional, sounding commercial to me ... so my questions are:

- will I be required to sign up somewhere to host or play it?

- are there any other commitments other than Arma2-gamers are used to? (costs, restrictions of use, etc.)

Anybody ?

I looked at the website and saw that the mod for BF requires to sign up and the language is quite professional, sounding commercial to me ... so my questions are:

You only need to currently "sign up" for

1. A server Licence (Server Admins - only)

2. Normal Registration on the Forums

Other than that its a straight forward download? (This is PR: BF2 I am talking about by the way)

- will I be required to sign up somewhere to host or play it?

To Play it no, just "play it"

To host it, we will have something in place, however this may only be for our "Official" servers, which are going to be hosted by a few decent ArmA2 Server admins, so we are going to be looking at this in the near future

- are there any other commitments other than Arma2-gamers are used to? (costs, restrictions of use, etc.)

Cost, of course not its a Modification, and would also be breaking the BIS EULA ;)

Restrictions of use, we do have our own EULA which is a standard thing for a Development Team, which will affect some things, in terms of use of PR assets yes.

Edited by Craig.Turner

That is one thing I wonder about, why new addons? Wouldnt it be easier for PR to promote PR gameplay using vanilla arma2 as the gameplay is mostly defined in the missions?

Hmmm... well perhaps because they want to set it in Afghanistan and include the British Army (rather than the USMC in Chernarus) or maybe they want to change ballistics or armour or a host of other things that can only be delivered by addon. I really don't see what there is to wonder about.

[R-DEV]UK_Force, will you be changing how the infantry player moves? Make it less clunky?

I know the clunkyness comes from the movement 'stuck' to the animation, but still i'd like to believe there is a way to make it more fluent and natural feeling than how it is now.

[R-DEV]UK_Force, will you be changing how the infantry player moves? Make it less clunky?

I know the clunkyness comes from the movement 'stuck' to the animation, but still i'd like to believe there is a way to make it more fluent and natural feeling than how it is now.

I have someone looking at this, however so far its not looking to good if I am honest, it is also not high on our priorities just now.

ArmA2 renders a separate scene for the 1p view JUST like BF2 does.

In BF2 you have a kind of projection map for your body which doesn't exist in the 3p view.

In ArmA2 the 1p view is the same as the 3p view , your both looking at the same model ?

UK_Force;1596112']In ArmA2 the 1p view is the same as the 3p view ' date=' your both looking at the same model ?[/quote']

There are different LODs on the models for the world model and first person model (Pilot View LOD) in Arma 2, so technically what you see in 1p is not what someone sees in 3p, but they use the same animations at the same time, so it's not like other games where you can have a separate more detailed 1p animation. You can add custom animations to weapons, such as bolt movements, but I believe player animations are very hard to alter in Arma 2.

Edited by ardvarkdb

UK_Force;1596112']I have someone looking at this' date=' however so far its not looking to good if I am honest, it is also not high on our priorities just now.

ArmA2 renders a separate scene for the 1p view JUST like BF2 does.

In BF2 you have a kind of projection map for your body which doesn't exist in the 3p view.

In ArmA2 the 1p view is the same as the 3p view , your both looking at the same model ?[/quote']

I'm so glad to hear that it's actually being looked into, i can certainly do without arma2's clunkiness.

UK_Force;1595908']You only need to currently "sign up" for

1. A server Licence (Server Admins - only)

2. Normal Registration on the Forums

Other than that its a straight forward download? (This is PR: BF2 I am talking about by the way)

To Play it no' date=' just "play it"

[/quote']

Thanx!

Something different for Arma2 then?

UK_Force;1595908']

To host it' date=' we will have something in place, however this may only be for our "Official" servers, which are going to be hosted by a few decent ArmA2 Server admins, so we are going to be looking at this in the near future

[/quote']

Will you give licenses to everyone like the Arma2-Community used to?

UK_Force;1595908']

Cost' date=' of course not its a Modification, and would also be breaking the BIS EULA ;)

Restrictions of use, we do have our own EULA which is a standard thing for a Development Team, which will affect some things, in terms of use of PR assets yes.

[/quote']

More than the normal "do not copy our models/islands/missions" ?

Thanx in advance!

Will you give licenses to everyone like the Arma2-Community used to?

I think you misunderstood. It is exactly the same as with other mods.

Under EULA there is no such thing as licensing in Arma2.

He meant they will give certain servers their approval (kind of recommend the server to players), they will not (and in fact cannot) stop you from hosting a server and from hosting it the way you want.

Not sure if the PR:arma2 mod is going to have its own modified dedicated files like PR:bf, if it does they can easily control it's distribution by only giving it to servers who meet the PR requirements.

What people do once they have the dedicated files can't be stopped but just like PR:bf2 you won't get support and you'll have problems getting updated versions.

I think you misunderstood. It is exactly the same as with other mods.

Under EULA there is no such thing as licensing in Arma2.

He meant they will give certain servers their approval (kind of recommend the server to players), they will not (and in fact cannot) stop you from hosting a server and from hosting it the way you want.

There is no such thing as licensing unranked server in Battlefield 2. They just did it on their own.

Explanation of the Server license:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/licenseapp.php

Project Reality EULA:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/licenseapp.php?do=apply

Edited by -Bubba-

first lets see if this mod will be worthy of even consider licensing it before worrying about how you can get it on your server ;)

Thanx for your answers.

Mmmm .... not possible for non-members to view the licenses ... :-(

And this I have never seen before in BIS games:

As of v0.6 the Project Reality team is no longer freely distributing the server code. You will need to apply for a license, be granted a license and then you will be given a download link for the server code via PM on the forums. The license may take up to a week to be granted or denied, please be patient.

»Apply For a License«

Edited by Herbal Influence

Mmmm .... not possible for non-members to view the licenses ... :-(

Here you go.

Project Reality Server License Information

Due to some unfortunate intentions of some server administrators since the Project Reality v0.6 release, the Project Reality team will no longer be freely distributing licenses to run Project Reality Mod servers. The Project Reality gaming community is a small community. Multiplayer games are made and broken by the quality of the servers and the dedication of the administrators of those servers. Simply put, we are looking for quality, not quantity. We want PR Server Administrators to be a part of our gaming community. At the very least we want to be able to keep Server Administrators in the loop about updates and changes to Project Reality server code.

Additionally, the Project Reality Development Team has decided that we will not be supporting server side modification of Project Reality for public servers. On a password protected, LAN server, or in a Single Player environment, you are free to configure Project Reality any way you like. But, on public multiplayer servers we would like Project Reality to run the way the development team, with a huge amount of input from our gaming community, have designed the game to run.

Project Reality licenses can only be obtained by completing the application process in which your server must be approved by the Project Reality staff. If you are granted a license, your server will be closely monitored and any breach of the Project Reality License Agreement may result in your server being banned from running a Project Reality server.

In order to apply for a Project Reality License, you must meet all of the requirements listed below. Submitting multiple applications may result in your application being denied, so please only submit one application and be patient while we review it.

A Project Reality Server License requires that server administrators meet the following requirements:

* Must be at least 18 years of age.

* Must agree and understand the Project Reality Server License Agreement.

* Must submit a completed Server License Application. All information will be verified before the application is approved.

* Must keep all user and server information up to date. We closely monitor this information and will periodically check that servers meet all requirements outlined in the server license agreement.

* Must have an online server that is actively hosting a Battlefield 2 game server.

Currently, only one license can be issued per game server (or server IP address). Before applying, make sure you are the main administrator of the server that will be running Project Reality. If your application is accepted, you will be able to add a limited number of “Server Moderators†to your license through the Server License CP. These moderators will be granted access to the Server Administration forums, but will not be able to download the actual Project Reality Mod server files.

Server Moderators must agree and understand the Project Reality License Agreement before they are confirmed as moderators. You will be responsible for the actions of the server moderators you add, so make certain you only add moderators whom you thoroughly trust and know will abide by the license agreement. They are responsible for keeping their user information up to date as their information will also be periodically checked by the Project Reality staff for accuracy.

There is no fee for a Project Reality license, though the software being free no longer automatically grants a license.

To submit a Project Reality Server License Application, click the “Apply For Server License†button below.

Project Reality Server License Agreement

In order to proceed, you must agree with the following:

PROJECT REALITY LICENSE AGREEMENT

3rd February 2010

IMPORTANT NOTICE READ CAREFULLY:

The terms of this Software License Agreement (the “LICENSEâ€) shall apply to all versions, editions, and future updates of Project Reality Client and Server software (the “SOFTWAREâ€) and constitute a legal agreement between you (the “LICENSEEâ€) and realitymod.com (the “LICENSORâ€).

By downloading, installing, copying, or otherwise using the SOFTWARE, you agree to be bound by the terms of this LICENSE. If you do not agree to the terms of this LICENSE, do not download, install, copy or otherwise use the SOFTWARE.

INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAWS

The SOFTWARE is protected under international copyright laws. The creations of individual contributors to the SOFTWARE remain the copyright of the original contributing author unless otherwise assigned. By the installation and configuration of an instance of the SOFTWARE on a local or remote computer you are bound by the terms and conditions set forth in the LICENSE and to all applicable International Copyright Laws.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

The LICENSOR reserves all rights not specifically granted herein.

SOFTWARE COVERED BY THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT

The SOFTWARE refers to the files included with the Project Reality Server and Project Reality Client software that enable the Project Reality game project to function as either a multiplayer or single player game when used in conjunction with the Battlefield 2 Server and/or Client files. This includes the python code and the server archives that contain original creations, in whole or in part, of the LICENSOR.

Battlefield 2 license terms are not negated by this LICENSE and the terms set forth herein augment the Battlefield 2 license agreement when that software is used in conjunction with the SOFTWARE.

APPLICATION FOR LICENSE

Prior to use of the SOFTWARE the LICENSEE must apply for a LICENSE by means of application to the LICENSOR by the application mechanism.

In the case of client software license application, the application mechanism is included in the SOFTWARE installation process. Acceptance of the LICENSE during installation constitutes automatic application for and granting of a LICENSE by the LICENSOR to use the SOFTWARE as a client installation and use the SOFTWARE in a way that it does not service incoming logon or data requests from computers other than the computer to which the software is installed.

In the case of server software license, the application mechanism is through the Project Reality Website. Application for a LICENSE for the SOFTWARE to function as server software enabled to service incoming logon or data requests from remote computers does not automatically grant a LICENSE for use of the SOFTWARE as a server installation.

The LICENSOR reserves the right to alter the application mechanism at any time and for any reason, or no reason at all, and without notice to LICENSEE.

GRANT OF LICENSE

Upon approval of application for LICENSE the LICENSOR grants LICENSEE a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to use the SOFTWARE only for non-commercial entertainment purposes. Licensee may not disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, create derivative works of, or modify the SOFTWARE in any way not specified herein. LICENSOR reserves the right to terminate the LICENSE at any time and for any reason, or no reason at all, and without notice to LICENSEE. Additionally, upon breach of any term of this LICENSE, the license granted under this LICENSE shall automatically terminate without any additional notice to LICENSEE.

UNAUTHORIZED USE

Use of the SOFTWARE without a valid LICENSE is an unauthorized use of the software and the unauthorized user will be deemed in violation of the LICENSE. Use of the SOFTWARE when the LICENSE has been revoked will constitute unauthorized use.

REDISTRIBUTION

You may not under any circumstances redistribute any portion of the SOFTWARE provided to you by the LICENSOR.

MODIFICATIONS TO THE SOFTWARE

You may not modify the SOFTWARE without express permission in writing (the “MODIFICATION PERMISSIONSâ€) from a representative of the LICENSOR. Electronic Messaging via the Project Reality Forums or Private Messaging System will constitute acceptable written form.

Server File Confidentiality

Upon Signing this agreement, you agree with the following:

- I will not distribute the Project Reality v0.9 server files to ANYONE other than the necessary people to install the files to my OWN game server that has been registered. I understand that distributing the server files to anyone else will result in my server license being removed.

Server Side Modding

The following are acceptable mods for publicly accessible internet servers:

- running accompanying scripts to force squad membership

- running accompanying scripts for TK management

- running administrative scripts that do not alter the game play in any way

The following are unacceptable mods for publicly accessible internet servers:

- adjusting spawn times of players or vehicles

- adjusting ticket values or ticket bleed ratios

- adjusting capture times for CPs

If you start a public server on the internet PR uses:

- realityconfig_common.py

- realityconfig_public.pyc

If you start a Passworded server PR uses:

- realityconfig_private.py

If you start a Local or Singleplayer server PR uses:

- realityconfig_local.py

You can edit the values in realityconfig_common.py.

You can edit the values in realityconfig_private.py.

You can edit the values in realityconfig_local.py.

You CANNOT edit the values in realityconfig_public.pyc.

- I will not modify or tamper with realityconfig_public.pyc in any form. I understand that tampering with realityconfig_public.pyc will result in server license removal and my PR server being disabled.

MD5 Checks

- I will run MD5 checks for PR shader files to ensure all players joining my server have equal advantage play. I understand that my PR server is now REQUIRED to run MD5 checks and that failure to do so will result in my server license being removed and my PR server becoming disabled.

**If you need help in getting the MD5 checks setup properly on your server, please ask in the private server admin forums.

Server Name

- I will include in the name of my PR server the version number. The Current version number is: v0.9. If I need to update my server to a newer version I will also update the version number to reflect what is running on my server. I understand that failing to put a version number in my server name will result in my server license being removed and my server becoming disabled.

***This is mainly so there is no confusion for players joining your server, as well as a good notification for players who are still running older versions of PR that they need to download the latest PR files. Keep in mind the BF2 Server Browser has a limited amount of space so the server name needs to stay under ~20 characters.

If your server fails to meet any of these agreements one of these conditions, you will be notified to comply with the license agreement. If you refuse to obey the agreement, your server license will be revoked and your PR v0.9 server will become "disabled". Players attempting to connect to a disabled server will not be able to connect and CTRL-ALT-DEL will be the only way to quit the BF2 client. We have not needed to use this method yet, and we hope we will not need to use it for v0.9.

Edited by -Bubba-