The design of this island is really top notch, loving all the details. One thing, is anyone else having any stuttering when flying over the non-winter version? I've never had any stutter on other maps. It's odd because my FPS stay high (40-60) but the game stutters along when going quickly over the forest. :confused:

Can you elaborate the stutter style?

Is it like some "stops" here and there or is it continous small stutters?

The design of this island is really top notch, loving all the details. One thing, is anyone else having any stuttering when flying over the non-winter version? I've never had any stutter on other maps. It's odd because my FPS stay high (40-60) but the game stutters along when going quickly over the forest. :confused:

Yes same here but it seems only to happen when flying low and fast :o

Is this it so called jetlag? :o (ok, bad joke)

Lovely island with a very scandinavian feel to it. May I suggest that you make the snow/weather logic more MP friendly in an upcomming release? I see no point to disable it for the server only. It kinda ruins the experience for anyone playing on the host computer in a LAN setup. Why not replace the isServer part of your snow script with isDedicated? That way you may still preserve CPU power on any dedicated servers, without affecting the game for LAN gamers.

Can you elaborate the stutter style?

Is it like some "stops" here and there or is it continous small stutters?

Continuous small stutters.

Precisely, being on the ground is fine. It's only when flying low and fast.

maybe your harddrive is fragmented a bit try defrag...

Nope. 160GB Intel SSD. My drive is fine ;)

Might be the infamous coast line stutter/lag that was introduced in a patch. Since Thirsk has coast lines almost everywhere you look while flying it might be that. Hope BIS fixes it.

Tried the islands today.

Very impressive work!

Please do NOT reduce the snow sound when walking... I think it sounds just as in real life.

When over -20 degrees it does crunch quite loud under feet.

Itching to construct some missions already...

:)

Yeah that snow sound is one of the more annoying sounds to me IRL, I'd say it's perfect here.

Great island, thanks.

Great Island, love those finnish style!

But me neither like the sound.

Even it would be in Real life..although i never expieried like that....i´d appreciate to lower the volume of the walking sound by half.

Great Island, love those finnish style!

But me neither like the sound.

Even it would be in Real life..although i never expieried like that....i´d appreciate to lower the volume of the walking sound by half.

Yep, it's loud,. as I said, I'll rethink the volume, as there's two complete different views on this matter. Some say it's perfect some say it is not :p

Even it would be realistic, I don't want to annoy anybody :)

Edited by Raunhofer

Am I the only one who can't see the runways? When on the ground I can only see 10-20 meters of runway. The rest looks like muddy/mossy ground. Same in the air except I can't really see any runway at all.

No, they both seem to be missing from the sat texture.

No, they both seem to be missing from the sat texture.

They should be mainly missing from the winter version only, as they look pretty buggy in it if added (And in Ilmarinen, there's no actual runaway even visible as the snow has covered it). In summer version there should be runaways visible as a gray area in the horizon.

If you can see them from 10-20m distance only, then there's a problem with your Thirsk version :eek: or did you mean 200-400m? (It depends of the view distance).

airfieldshow.jpg

Small detail hint: Did you notice that the numbers in the end of the airfield are correct. :yay:

Edited by Raunhofer

Yep, it's loud,. as I said, I'll rethink the volume, as there's two complete different views on this matter. Some say it's perfect some say it is not :p

Even it would be realistic, I don't want to annoy anybody :)

I personally think its a little bit too loud but only a tiny bit, please do not lower it more than max. 1/3 as already mentioned(even better make an option for it)... the sound is nice :)

Yep, it's loud,. as I said, I'll rethink the volume, as there's two complete different views on this matter. Some say it's perfect some say it is not

Even it would be realistic, I don't want to annoy anybody

Heres an idea ... can the foot/snow sound be pbo'd modular and have it so theres a config for volume level up/down keys (very much like GL4 has done with radio comms).

That way everyone is happy :) I think its perfectly fine volume wise because the acoustics of a wide space dampened down by snow would exaggerate the walking sound in real life, especially if its hard frost and also a few of you walking.

BTW this island is absolutely lovely .. I haven't tested but is it ALICE friendly at all? I tried this with the new Spec Ops units addon and visually its screen shot heaven :)

Anyone know if you can grab it off YAS? My download from armaholic corrupted and I'm running out of monthly usage :(

Anyone know if you can grab it off YAS? My download from armaholic corrupted and I'm running out of monthly usage :(

Please use the Mirror 1 if you encounter any problems. It's the firstly updating unmodified mirror.

Thanks, Thirsk looks great btw :)

Edit: My installer was corrupted, but I can load normal Thirsk ok.

Edited by LJF

This one is a wierd one I must admitt but I just verified 4 times with Thirsk only (no other addons) and maybe some of you guys have an explanation or maybe there is an issue with the grass/clutter on Thirsk, or maybe my specific setup?

The problem is that the AI seems to detect you alot easier on Thirsk. I did some tests I've done on Chernarus and for some reason the grasslayer/clutter on Thirsk Summer seems to have little or no effect on hiding you from the AI.

On Chernarus it's possible to hide in grass with a Ghilliesuit, if laying completely still, even if enemy AI is very close (i.e within meters) but on Thirsk there is no way, they always detect me at ~30-40 m, it's like going prone on a tarmac. Anyone else experiencing the same?

If wanted I can ZIP up my simple test scenarios for others to try, just let me know...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

The problem is that the AI seems to detect you alot easier on Thirsk. I did some tests I've done on Chernarus and for some reason the grasslayer/clutter on Thirsk Summer seems to have little or no effect on hiding you from the AI.

The answer is simply, the clutter isn't so tall than it is in Chernarus. I've made the clutter so you can see well, even when prone. Notice also how well does the AI use the terrain. It finds good hides and tries to shoot behind of trees and bushes.

As I made Thirsk, I decided to do terrain where AI works at it's best. And so I tried to find the best possible conditions for the AI.

AI working in Thirsk example

In this video you can see how humane does the AI work. (and no, there isn't night even this guy is using NVs You can test the same mission by downloading it from the first post)

In the snow version you can be shot from surprisingly far. Realism, my friends :)

Edited by Raunhofer

The answer is simply, the clutter isn't so tall than it is in Chernarus. I've made the clutter so you can see well, even when prone. Notice also how well does the AI use the terrain. It finds good hides and tries to shoot behind of trees and bushes.

Thanks for the input Raunhofer and I do notice that the grass used on Thirsk isn't the exact same as on the open fields on Chernarus. I also like it's shorter so you actually can see something while prone (unlike on stock Chernarus). I actually use a mod to get much the same low grass/lower density on Chernarus open fields as on Thirsk and I can still go undetected at close range in a Ghillie suit (if laying completely still).

Please try the testmissions linked below and you will se exactly what I mean...

Test 1 - Hide_in_grass.Chernarus

--------------------------------

When mission starts go prone directly and do not move and just wait a couple of minutes. 95% of the time the Russian AI squad just passes by within a meter or two and does not detect me (as it should be since I'm wearing a Ghillie suit and are lying completely still in grass).

Test 2 - Hide_in_grass.Thirsk

----------------------------

The exact same mission copied an pasted to a "open" field on Thirsk. Doing the same procedure as above and the Russian AI squad always detects me 100% of the time at ~30-40 m.

Test 3 - Prone_on_tarmac.Chernarus

-----------------------------------

Just for comparsion I copied the exact same mission to the tarmac on Chernarus airfield. Doing the same procedure as above and the Russian AI squad always detects me 100% of the time at ~40 m (as it should be since I'm on concrete).

Link to testmissions:

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/Thirsk_issue01.zip

Please try the missions and see if you/anyone gets the same result as I do.

Don't get me wrong I love your island but would love it even more if it was possible to perform realistic sniping/scouting/stealth missions. Judging from the tests above where in grass on Thirsk have very similar results as on tarmac on Chernarus I will still argue there are something with the selected grass/clutter not working as it should (maybe not your fault maybe it's something in BIS configs/models that differ on the grasstypes?).

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

sniper.jpg

They walked this close to me and still in the safe mode... In my mind there was nothing wrong? (distance 34m)

In chernarus they spot me from distance of 32m

And ArmA2's AI does not spot you depending on what texture there is under you. It depends on the clutter and their awareness.

Actually in my mind they should spot me even more easily. Sometimes they wont' see you "huh!" and sometimes they will "ouch!", that's realism.

And as I already posted Youtube video, sometimes they really can't see you at all.

(Distance less than half meter and no ghillie!)

And in the chernarus test, there's so high grass that even I didn't see the sniper! You must remember to test it from the enemy's view too!

canuspot.jpg

(In front of the rock)

I actually use a mod to get much the same low grass/lower density on Chernarus open fields as on Thirsk and I can still go undetected at close range in a Ghillie suit (if laying completely still).

Isn't this the cause of your problems? The AI is still having the higher grass, even you don't...

I hope this post was an answer to your problem!

Edited by Raunhofer