Hey Raunhofer...

you´ve done two really nice maps... makes me want to go hiking.

The performance makes them very good for pvp too.

Just one little thing.. if i play it loud to have a good sound the snow is a little bit too loud when walking around.. but thats just my opinion. maybe you can tune it down a bit...

but anyway.. apreciate the work you put in that.:)

Sexcellent!

Great island. Looks really nice, and the winter version is just awesome. (And damn that, now I just want a BV-206 addon all the more :( )

Can't wait to play some coop on this!

Congrats, finally a real snow map.

The camo units are included with the Island, right?

You need to download it separately. It's downloadable in the first post.

Really great islands you've built there. The rural areas are just about spot on, as with your previous outing Japahto.

A few crits, if I'm allowed:

I think that the buildings you have used could do with a trimming in a 'less is more' sort of a way. It just seems like you've used as many of the available building models as possible.

Maybe remove some of the more stand out buildings, such as the huge spike tower, and the 'Ball antennas' being that they were supposed to be unique Chernarusian landmarks, I always find them a bit jarring and are a bit overused in island making.

Also the harbour crane randomly being used for a building site, doesn't really make sense and looks very out of place, I do see the idea you were going for with it, but being that we all know it's real use and location, it doesn't really work.

Could we look forward to some possible snowy building/rock textures in the future?

E

Great island!

Put it on our islands section at Assault Mission Studio.

dlicon.gif

Thirsk Island [1.0] by Raunhofer

Edited by Imutep

Could we look forward to some possible snowy building/rock textures in the future?

There's one problem: Size of the package. IF there would be a snow version of every object in the island, the final package would be huge, so I decided to convert only the critical objects to their snow versions.

And I know there's a lot of everything in everywhere, I tried to give as much as possible different kind of idea possibilities for the mission editors. But you're still absolutely right about that. As it is a kind of small island (5kmx5km) I had to re-think what can I do realistic and what I cannot, so the realistic factory areas or the harbor just didn't fit in my plans. :(

Woa... I love this one. Definitely going to use it in my campaign if I ever finish it. I love the way the sun behaves depending on time of year. I also love how cold the Winter version feels.

Only one criticism - the ambient civilians and civilian vehicles don't seem to work. Any chance that will be fixed? The ambient stuff adds a lot to the lifelines of a mission.

Just my two cents. I definitely love the island :)

Been playing on this snow map all day. Nothing says Christmas better then a lead snowball fight in Narnia. ;)

And yes, moar winter objects!

Great work Raunhofer !

I think i found a BUG:

One of the small lakes near the area called "Elimyssalo" on the Map has a strange behavior. You can see the water move fast if you run to him and the water also dissapears sometimes if you turn your head.

Raunhofer:

A little thing to add to the list (if you got a list :) ) would be to add lighter color under *all* roads. You did a good job having it already on many roads so they can be seen from the air, but there is a lot of roads that doesnt have this and they are impossible to see from the air. When you get closer the road textures start popping out. Not a super big thing, but definatelly raises the quality of an island imo.

Still exploring Thirsk and its superb and feels natural. Love it.

Raunhofer:

You did a good job having it already on many roads so they can be seen from the air, but there is a lot of roads that doesnt have this and they are impossible to see from the air.

Yeah, I had some problems with it, when I added too aggressive color under the road, the road's borders looked damn weird on ground level.. In winter island there are no roads in satellite at all because it broke the feel of winter roads when on ground.

Maybe I'll find a good solution one day. It's pretty annoying that the LOD texture colors the near-ground too.. there should be another texture for the color scheme. :)

One of the small lakes near the area called "Elimyssalo" on the Map has a strange behavior. You can see the water move fast if you run to him and the water also dissapears sometimes if you turn your head.

Unfortunately that problem is in the BIS' pond model and I don't know if it is fixable any way.

Raunhofer, I had a question: How exactly do we access the weather effect modules?

Otherwise the island is great, especially love the destroyed old town and dam (a shame that's blocked.)

Raunhofer, I had a question: How exactly do we access the weather effect modules?

Otherwise the island is great, especially love the destroyed old town and dam (a shame that's blocked.)

In the editor, create a new unit. Choose EMPTY and class gamelogic.

From gamelogics you can find the weather logic which to use.

Note: weather effects won't work if you are hosting the server with the pc which you use to play. (I mean it won't work for you, for other players it will work)

Weather gamelogic is designated to multiplayer dedicated servers and single player

Note: weather effects won't work if you are hosting the server with the pc which you use to play. (I mean it won't work for you, for other players it will work)

Is there any workaround for this "problem" so i can see the effects to if i hosting and playing on the same PC ?

Anyway, i started working on a Coop Mission for 4 Players using you Island and the Winter Camo Units. Will be available next weekend.

Another question:

I downloaded "KuiK's Winter Camo Pack v1.0b" but the Readme still says 1.0, so do i have the newest version ?

Edited by Wiggum

I downloaded "KuiK's Winter Camo Pack v1.0b" but the Readme still says 1.0, so do i have the newest version ?

Yes you should have. the "b" is added by armaholic I guess. And I'm afraid that you can't avoid that snow "problem", as it runs only client, not server. (performance reasons)

And I'm afraid that you can't avoid that snow "problem", as it runs only client, not server. (performance reasons)

Can't you add a !isDedicated instead of !isServer check so it can run on non dedicated hosts?